Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washer and Dryer - Top Load or Front Load ?
Top Load 47 61.04%
Front Load 30 38.96%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:40 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Have Samsung brand front loaders. Love them, easy to use and efficient. Have a brother who repairs W&D for a living. He recommended front loader and avoid Maytag.
really avoid maytag ? I have had my front loader maytags for almost 4 yrs and bought them used . they are awesome and they have given me no trouble ...I love them and would def buy another maytag in a heartbeat ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 03:46 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Since about 2006, Maytag has been a brand of Whirlpool, who also owns the Kitchenaid, Jenn-Air and other lesser known brands. Shortly after the acquisition, manufacturing of Maytag washers and dryers ended, and the washers and dryers branded "Maytag" were pretty much just restyled Whirlpool machines. All you have to do is stick your head inside the tub of a Whirlpool Duet and compare it to the inside of a Maytag Maxima. They're the same. To condemn Maytag laundry appliances is to condemn the near-identical (identical mechanics) Whirlpool models.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,589 times
I got the LG-WM3050CW front loader washer and LG-DLE3050W electric dryer for $1294 online including free delivery and 10 year major component warranty (whatever that's supposed to mean) - no sales tax since it was out of state. I tried to use a company in NJ and they sucked, charged my card and then told me they couldn't get the items. This pair I tried a different company and got them in about 10 days. Funny thing is, I ordered them from a company in MO and the items were sent to a Dallas warehouse for delivery from LG in Fort Worth!

Since this is my first post, not sure if people frown upon advertising so PM if you want the name of the company I used. Have been very happy with the front loaders.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:43 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I can't see spending more than 500 bucks on a washing machine. Give me a conventional top load washer any day.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:51 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,529 times
I would never buy a front loader. Ever. I hate how they never quite drain, so you are supposed to leave the door open to prevent it from getting filled with mildew and assorted nasties. I hate the idea of being unable to toss in an extra item after I have started the load. I hate that if something goes wrong during the cycle I can't just open the thing up. I hate the increased risk of leaks. I hate the needless upsell of a $300 box to set each of the damn things on. Not my cup of tea.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:29 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
I would never buy a front loader. Ever. I hate how they never quite drain, so you are supposed to leave the door open to prevent it from getting filled with mildew and assorted nasties. I hate the idea of being unable to toss in an extra item after I have started the load. I hate that if something goes wrong during the cycle I can't just open the thing up. I hate the increased risk of leaks. I hate the needless upsell of a $300 box to set each of the damn things on. Not my cup of tea.
You're somewhat misinformed.

The main reason to leave the door open is to allow the rubber door seal to dry, which collects a small amount of water. If you keep a hand towel in your laundry room, you can just wipe the seal and window after each load, and then you don't have to keep the door open. Also, the door has a detent, which keeps it open about one inch, in case you do want to leave it open part-ways to allow some ventilation. Other washers may have a problem with water collecting, but mine does not.

I can stop my LG front-load at any time and throw in additional items. These are not like the industrial front-load washers that completely fill with water. The water level stays below the door opening, and the tub itself is tilted back a little. All I do is hit the start/pause button, wait about ten seconds for the door to unlock, and I can throw in additional items. Hit the start/pause button again, want about ten more seconds for the door to lock, and the cycle resumes.

Nothing wrong with disliking front-load and HE washers for valid reasons, but your reasons seem to be the result of being misinformed.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:42 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Top loader all the way.

HItachi used to be the best washing machine, now.....who knows.

If you get one of those stupid front loaders, you can never ever throw in the sock that got away.

Plus, I don't think they spin properly. Which is probably part of the design plot, you have to then use the dryer function because everything's so wet.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:46 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
My only complaint about my front load units is they twist the heck out of all our sheets. Really annoying.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:01 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Top loader all the way.

HItachi used to be the best washing machine, now.....who knows.

If you get one of those stupid front loaders, you can never ever throw in the sock that got away.

Plus, I don't think they spin properly. Which is probably part of the design plot, you have to then use the dryer function because everything's so wet.
You're kidding right? I have a Bosch front loader that spins at such a high rpm that the clothes are not much more than damp after spinning. And as another stated, the washer can be paused and articles added. The water, all 3 gallons of it, is below the door level. The entire cycle, with 2 rinses ,uses 9 gallons of water.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
We have a set of Whirlpool - top load washer and front load dryer. We've had them for over a year. LOVE THEM. They are not the agitator type - the washer uses very little water and does a great job. We've washed huge comforters, bulky loads, tiny loads, you name it, with zero issues.

Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum 4.8 cu. ft. High-Efficiency Top Load Washer in White, ENERGY STAR-WTW8500BW at The Home Depot

The matching dryer works great too - I love the steam settings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House