Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 AM

592 posts, read 1,477,742 times

Advertisements

New large slider at back of house, ground level. In keeping with a beachy theme, we want to put a ground level deck off the back. So close to the ground in fact we'll have to remove some soil to get the joists in.

Does this require footers?
When we did the deck in our old house it was attached to the house and 24 inches high so we needed deep footers... i think they were 36 inches

What i'd love to do for new place is just buy footer blocks sold at home improvement places and make a free standing ground level deck.

Seems crazy that we'd need footers, right?!

I'll check with the inspectors, but concerned they'll give me a standard "all decks require 3 ft footer."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 11:25 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
The height of the deck has nothing to do with footings- it's the soil condition and related weather.

Stairs/steps and handrails/guardrails come into play with the height of a deck.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The height of the deck has nothing to do with footings- it's the soil condition and related weather.

Stairs/steps and handrails/guardrails come into play with the height of a deck.

What doesn't make sense to me is...

I can pour a concrete slab without 36 inch footings.
I can put concrete pavers in without 36 inch footings.

But make it out of wood, at the exact same ground level height as the two options above...
And it needs footings? seems unnecessary?

Old 04-20-2014, 04:34 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
What doesn't make sense to me is...

I can pour a concrete slab without 36 inch footings.
I can put concrete pavers in without 36 inch footings.

But make it out of wood, at the exact same ground level height as the two options above...
And it needs footings? seems unnecessary?
If you think about how your deck is supported you can see how both the height isn't relevant and the concrete and pavers aren't similar. Hint: A structure 1" off the ground doesn't put significantly more pressure on its supports than one 10' off the ground. But a structure 0" off the ground works quite differently.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:02 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
"Can" and "Should" are two different things.

Without knowing your specifics, you "should" build to local practices and standards.

IIRC, NJ gets freezing weather, and the ground becomes frozen. In order to have a deck that won't move (heave) , regardless of the material used to construct the above ground portion of it, you should have footings which extend below the frost line. Three feet sounds about right for NJ.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:17 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
OP, I think what you're describing is sometimes called a "floating deck". I've seen plans for them in gardening magazines as garden structures away from the house where they hold a couple of deck chairs or maybe a chaise lounge. In that case, they're not much different than "Amish" sheds or gazebos (which usually are not actually built by Amishmen) that are set on blocks and gravel just off the ground and used for tool storage, conversation areas, or even inexpensive hunting camps.

I think these kinds of decks have to be fairly small with a square or rectangular shape, like 8 x 8, with single length joists because the deck could very well go out of level after a winter if there's frost heave. You can't attach them to another structure either because of that. If it was next to the house, I would do footers myself.

Whether you would need a permit for this kind of deck would depend upon your local ordinances.

If this is going to be a ground level deck, why not just go with concrete and maybe vinyl railings? Stamped concrete is very good looking, much lower maintenance than a deck, and no chance of critters setting up homes in the space between the joists!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
If you think about how your deck is supported you can see how both the height isn't relevant and the concrete and pavers aren't similar.
Talked to a friend or two over the weekend, and they had me realize that in a paver or slab situation the entire surface area is in contact with the ground so the load is spread very wide and not a lot of weight per square inch. But in a deck, even one at ground level, the weight is focused onto those concrete blocks so it makes sinking/shifting more possible. Although we all still agreed is stinks. ha

Saw a post elsewhere that NJ is the only one that doesnt allow floating decks and home improvement centers stopped carrying teh blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
OP, I think what you're describing is sometimes called a "floating deck".
If this is going to be a ground level deck, why not just go with concrete and maybe vinyl railings? Stamped concrete is very good looking, much lower maintenance than a deck, and no chance of critters setting up homes in the space between the joists!
Correct... floating deck.

Great point on the "critters"!

So, the lower level room has evolved into a Seashore theme, and the decking fit a Jersey Shore boardwalk.

So I am still leaning towards the deck, but I'll get some estimates on concrete and pavers and compare. I actually have a close relative who does pavers and even they had said to go ground level deck as it will be much cheaper than pavers, even with his friends-and-family discount, hah.

Another funny thing is.. there is some ambiguity on permits for pavers!
Concrete = Yes permit always
Deck = yes permet always
Pavers = not permanent.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:56 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Pavers are a PITA IMO because stuff is always growing though them. I have a brick patio and I'm always after it with the pressure washer, Round-up, hot water, etc to get rid of the stuff that takes root in the tiniest of cracks. I've seen stuff peeking through the pavers on the brickways around the college where I work, too.

Pavers are also labor intensive for install.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:57 AM

9 posts, read 14,813 times
Was their an answer to the ground level deck question?

I can’t find an ordinance for cherry hill nj. My patio is severely cracked and would just to simply place joists on the deck, with sleepers to avoid water contact, and place decking in the joists. Same size as the patio, simply couple inches higher. Would that be a problem for when we sell? Not attached to house, free standing, and can be moved if necessary

Old 04-14-2020, 12:03 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvan123 View Post
Was their an answer to the ground level deck question?

I can’t find an ordinance for cherry hill nj. My patio is severely cracked and would just to simply place joists on the deck, with sleepers to avoid water contact, and place decking in the joists. Same size as the patio, simply couple inches higher. Would that be a problem for when we sell? Not attached to house, free standing, and can be moved if necessary

There maynot be a local ordinance; but there is the International Residential Code. The IRC has adapted the DCA-6 guidelines from the Wood Council.

One of the biggest problems from your description is the deck isn't secured to the ground. But it would be possible to use post bases to not only secure the deck to the ground (patio), but also raise the structure off the ground to avoid contact. But I also see this as using a device in a non-standard way- deeming it as non-code compliant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House