Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 03:53 PM

563 posts, read 1,786,919 times

Advertisements

My electrician had to run a line from one side of the house to the other, and ended up having to punch down into the roof on one side, and pop up out on the other side - so the conduit 90 degree box (or whatever it is) is on each side. My biggest concern is to ensure water/bugs don't get in. THey put a lot of silicone in there, he says it has a 7 yr warranty. As it is a flat roof, and is directly exposed to the Arizona heat/sun, i'm wondering if i still need to be concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 04:11 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
My electrician had to run a line from one side of the house to the other, and ended up having to punch down into the roof on one side, and pop up out on the other side - so the conduit 90 degree box (or whatever it is) is on each side. My biggest concern is to ensure water/bugs don't get in. THey put a lot of silicone in there, he says it has a 7 yr warranty. As it is a flat roof, and is directly exposed to the Arizona heat/sun, i'm wondering if i still need to be concerned.
If he used a roof flange/boot similar to this, properly installed you will have no problem. I installed hundreds of these on flat roofs.
There are other types that work just as well but if he just siliconed around a conduit that is not an approved method.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:18 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Done properly, there is no need for a lot of silicone. If the electrician was trying to fill a gap or void, silicone was the wrong material to use. There are quite a few sealants that could be used that are self leveling (you say the in/out is on the roof, not side right?) and prevent potential leaks as well as insects getting through.

As silicone is one of the worst materials to remove cleanly and effectively and even after removal, often prevent other sealants from working properly, you have what you have.

I'm surprised that some type of through penetration cap wasn't used. For example, he/she could have used liquidtite conduit and you'd have a super clean yet very effective sealing for the roof penetration.

You can still use something like that because the way it is made, removing the silicone would allow the fittings to work. You could ask about that but you know, once a trade has done something and you ask about something different, expecting a positive response isn't usually the result.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:53 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
google "pitch pocket"

oops I already did LINK

Old 04-26-2014, 09:53 AM

damn it, you'd think by paying them the rate they asked for, they'd do it right the first time. Now I'm going to ask them to fix that properly, as well as inspect the exterior junction box they have on the side of the house. Saw the siliconed around that, but dont remember how the wires fed from the box to the house. For that one, I care about bugs and critters getting into the walls more than anything.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:54 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
Quite common in Arizona to run conduit on the roof as there are many flat roofs and no attic. Those don't leak if properly installed (not rocket science). Just be sure the conduit is up off the roof on wood blocks or whatever (so water can flow under the conduit).

Also it never rains there, so no problem! (I wouldn't worry about it...)

Old 04-26-2014, 11:45 AM

yes, the pipe is elevated, and I saw at home depot the roof flange in the electrical dept - a $6 part! Correct, the rain will dry up within 24 hrs but it doesn't take much water to get inside and make a mess. Plus if water gets in, so will roaches, bees, mice, etc.

He told me the silicone is good for 7 yrs, I was like, I have to maintain it now? He's pulling the I'm not a roofer excuse too.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:25 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
Generally the black tar goop around all pipes and so forth popping out of a roof will crack and need a new coat of goop every so many years. Just check all those things every few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House