U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:47 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,289,991 times

Advertisements

I don't know if the title of my thread is even possible. I've tried the Bath and Body Works wallflowers and I feel they lose their scent quickly.

Then I tried the warming tarts (both the Scentsy and Walmart brand) and I don't feel those keep the scents long enough either.

Am I just expecting too much or is there something better on the market? My condo isn't that big either, about 1050sqft.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-30-2014, 07:50 AM

20,418 posts, read 42,654,894 times
"How do you keep your home smelling good for a LONG time?"

You keep it clean.

Artificial scents and chemicals just mask whatever is causing you to buy them.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
"How do you keep your home smelling good for a LONG time?"

You keep it clean.

Artificial scents and chemicals just mask whatever is causing you to buy them.
It is clean..........

Don't assume I'm buying scents because my home is dirty.

I want certain spring and summer scents to smell everyday.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:19 AM

15,720 posts, read 58,639,990 times
OK; lets assume your house is "clean" and you're adding a "scent". As with any "room freshener", or even cologne and perfume, the scent may be there, you just can't "smell" it because you become used to it. Your receptors are dulled by the constant presence of the scent.

Then again, there is a difference between cleaning a house, and a clean house.
What about the walls? Last time they were painted?
Carpet? How much? It's a filter for some of the most vile crap you can throw at it- so imagine the odor(s) it's giving off.
Central H&A? What's lurking in your ducts and filter(s)?
Clothes?
Shoes?
B.O.?
Air pollution?
And the list can go on an on-

All of these things can and do effect the quality and smell of the air inside a home- so don't discount your scent so quickly.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 101,607,564 times
Air fresheners are indoor air pollution. My girlfriend's family became very ill from her overuse of those plug in air fresheners. They all got headaches and other symptoms. She basically poisoned her family.

This is no joke. Seriously reconsider this. It's one thing to use an air freshener for a short period of time for guests, but it's entirely different to constantly expose yourself and your family to these chemicals.

Quote:
Think twice about using synthetic air fresheners, which emit chemicals that can combine with ozone to produce toxic compounds; candles; or incense.

How to breathe easier at home - News - NorthJersey.com
Quote:
Could the floral scent of your air freshener contain toxic chemicals known to cause birth defects? NRDC recently tested 14 air fresheners and found that 12 contained phthalates (pronounced "THAL-ates"), chemicals that can cause hormonal abnormalities, birth defects and reproductive problems. Even air fresheners marketed as "all-natural" or "unscented" contained the hazardous chemicals.

NRDC: Toxic Air Fresheners?

Old 04-30-2014, 08:43 AM

6,426 posts, read 8,422,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Air fresheners are indoor air pollution.
That's my attitude on the matter also.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Air fresheners are indoor air pollution. My girlfriend's family became very ill from her overuse of those plug in air fresheners. They all got headaches and other symptoms. She basically poisoned her family.

This is no joke. Seriously reconsider this. It's one thing to use an air freshener for a short period of time for guests, but it's entirely different to constantly expose yourself and your family to these chemicals.
OMG really?! I've noticed a huge increase with my headaches too. I just use them because I live close to the beach and like using beach scents. The headaches started when I started using the warmers a few weeks ago. The wallflowers never gave me a problem.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
OMG really?! I've noticed a huge increase with my headaches too. I just use them because I live close to the beach and like using beach scents. The headaches started when I started using the warmers a few weeks ago. The wallflowers never gave me a problem.
Even if one doesn't give you headaches, it could be causing other health problems. It would be better to have fresh flowers in your house. Take up gardening for a cutting garden to save money. Make natural potpourri. That way you know the ingredients are nontoxic. If you're a fan of wearing perfume, you might want to reconsider that too. Many people don't realize fragrance can cause migraines, asthma, etc.

Don't feel badly for not knowing this. Although I never was big on air fresheners, I didn't know the serious risks until after my girlfriend accidently poisoned her family.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:13 AM

Here's another informative article:

Quote:
The researchers found that labels of popular perfumes don't list harmful perfume ingredients linked to sperm damage, hormone disruption (which is linked to some cancers, thyroid disease, obesity, diabetes, and other serious health problems), reproductive toxicity, and allergy problems. And chemicals that may play a role in cancer were found in many of the fragrances analyzed. "This monumental study reveals the hidden hazards of fragrances," says Rodale.com advisor Anne C. Steinemann, PhD, professor of civil and environmental engineering, professor of public affairs, University of Washington. And, as with smoking, it's not just the person using the product that's affected. "Secondhand scents are also a big concern. One person using a fragranced product can cause health problems for many others," she says.

Toxic Perfume Ingredients Linked to Cancer, Sperm Damage | Rodale News

Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 AM

16,619 posts, read 25,678,090 times
Default Two simple steps

1. Buy a brand new, never lived in house.
2. Don't live in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.