Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:35 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,775,091 times

Advertisements

Eventually we would like to redo our shower in the bathroom,

here is my floorplan
Click image for larger version

Name:	3232upperfloor2.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	11481

I'd love to removed the wall between the tub and shower

Name:	IMG_4749.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	11483
and have one of those 'glass' walls put in.

Plus extend the shower out to the end of the wall, which would bring it out about 8-9". and where the shower doors are, install a hinged glass door.

only problem is the pipes in the wall, I think they are for venting, as they go straight up to the roof. Here is an image from construction. this is the wall between the tub and shower, the one I'd like removed and replaced with glass.

Name:	DSCN0929.jpg
Views:	1705
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	11482

any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 05:20 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,113,541 times
First you would have to rerout the venting to the outside wall. It appears that there is some plumbing on the lower floor directly below this. That will have to be rerouted as well but most importantly you want to be sure this isn't a load bearing wall. If you can get to the attic. Look for support beams that may sit on that wall and go up to your ridge. If there isn't any, you should be ok removing the wall. You will stilll have a knee-wall up to the tub where your water feeds will remain.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:48 AM

>>You will stilll have a knee-wall up to the tub

yes, that i was aware of, as i'd keep the tile that is currently around the tub.
and i do not believe it's a load bearing wall -- so we'd be ok there.

thanks for your input.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:27 AM

31 posts, read 55,703 times
looks like a vent to me... yes

Old 12-11-2007, 09:01 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Glass down each side, mirrored in the center to cover the piping...

Old 12-11-2007, 10:48 AM

On reason i wanted the glass ... kinda like those "frameless" showers,
is the shower itself is kinda dark, the window is over the whirlpool tub... and I personally hate using lights when it's day light .... so removing that wall with give natural light.

and yeegads... i dont think i'd like a mirrored wall in the shower.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:49 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Moving the plumbing vent pipes can be done but will probably be very expensive and may require tearing up a lot of the house to do so. Which means all of that would then have to be repaired. And it has to be done right or you will have plumbing problems including a risk of sewer gases in the house.

Maybe instead of a mirror, you could have the glass block on the sides of the plumbing and do a neat tile design on the wall where the vent pipes are.

Unless money is no object...

Old 12-11-2007, 11:56 AM

I think money may be an object [we were planning on doing this last year, but now DH is off of work for health reasons.]

originally I wanted to do glass block ... all of this was before i started looking into the construction photos and saw all those pipes.

I wonder if the pipes could be moved closer to the wall, then say stick in a 90° elbow sort of pipe and reconnect it back to the pipe that goes out the roof.

would that work? That way, I could do glass or glass block with the exception of say the corner 6-8 inches.

I really hate the shower they put in .... seems cheaply done and really not very big.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:16 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
You really need to get a good plumber to look at the whole venting system to tell you whether it is a reasonable thing to do.

For my money, I would extend the shower out like you said but only put the glass block on the exposed area next to the vents.

Is there roof overhead? If so, you could put in a solar tube to bring natural light into the shower area. It would cost you a whole lot less than messing with the plumbing.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:22 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
Perhaps a plumber can cite a definitive yes or no, but I would be hesitant to put a 90 degree turn in a vent line for the simple reason that if something were to fall in the pipe it would lodge and block the vent more easily than if it were a straight or even a slanted drop to the sewer line. I know that spider webs and accumulations of debris will sometimes restrict even a straight vent pipe, a right angle would surely clog much more easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House