Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:39 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,460,060 times

Advertisements

In my areas, I often see good places I'd like to buy but they come with this kind of kitchen "hood/vent" (picture 1), basically a microwave oven acting as a "filter." Not sure what kind of self-respecting engineer would design a thing like that but I wonder if I can change it out to the proper hood with a chimney (picture 2)?

I guess it's more possible with a house but is it possible with a high rise apartment building?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 12:05 PM

7,213 posts, read 6,983,530 times
Hoods like that have to be vented outside, I think. Not something you see in apartments.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:10 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,734,906 times
Some of those microwaves do have ducted venting (and some are just recirculating).

I am just finishing up a partial remodel to add a range hood in a kitchen which someone else remodeled and removed the range hood - it required putting in a roof vent as well. I also had to replace the bathroom fan, which just vented INTO THE ATTIC. Morons.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:13 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,564,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
In my areas, I often see good places I'd like to buy but they come with this kind of kitchen "hood/vent" (picture 1), basically a microwave oven acting as a "filter." Not sure what kind of self-respecting engineer would design a thing like that but I wonder if I can change it out to the proper hood with a chimney (picture 2)?

I guess it's more possible with a house but is it possible with a high rise apartment building?

Agree! I dislike microwaves ovens to begin with but that's another thread lol... Plus it looks cheap microwaves/filter combo unit... I think a professional builder could do it.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:24 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,214,799 times
Kitchen ranges can create a lot of heat above them, especially if you have the oven and all burners going at the same time...

And things with electronics in them (like a microwave) do not like excessive heat or cold - can damage the electronics inside of them.

So probably best to not put a microwave above a range.

Note: They can and do make electronics which will stand up to excessive heat or cold - like would be in a satellite in space, but that quality of electronics is typically not in consumer electronics.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:28 PM

22,253 posts, read 47,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

My over the range microwave is ducted to the outside... it is not "acting as a filter" at all.

What you want is pretty near impossible to retrofit into a high rise apartment building.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:42 PM

777 posts, read 1,862,714 times
If you like the style of the picture 2 chimney, they are available as recirculating rather than vented for applications/areas where venting to the outside is impossible.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:55 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,902,658 times
To the OP:

The stove with a microwave oven on top (in the first photo), are designed so you can vent the air toward the outside by the microwave oven, or just to circulate the air. The air diverter in the microwave oven has to be set to vent the air toward the outside, or to recirculate during the installation. The only way to find out what was done by the builder is to look for the exhaust pipe above the microwave oven. If the pipe is there, turn the microwave fan and see if the air is being vented out the pipe. Remember that you are only turning the microwave's exhaust fan ON, not the microwave, and that this fan has its own switch.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:05 PM

4,614 posts, read 12,214,826 times
Retro fitting a filtered vent (allowed by code) to a piped to the exterior can be a challenge in a single family dwelling let alone a high rise. What type of wall construction must be penetrated, and access to the exterior work area should be planned in advance, and may prove to be cost prohibitive.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:07 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,027,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Retro fitting a filtered vent (allowed by code) to a piped to the exterior can be a challenge in a single family dwelling let alone a high rise. What type of wall construction must be penetrated, and access to the exterior work area should be planned in advance, and may prove to be cost prohibitive.
^^ This

My house was built in 1990 with a microwave over the range. It does not vent outside either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House