Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:00 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times

Advertisements

I just moved into a new apartment, and the bathroom has no towel bars at all, plus storage space is at a premium. What I did was buy three over the door racks with hooks on them. One each on the front and back of the bathroom door, and one on the front door. Ordering them from eBay was less than buying them at Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 05:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Personally I cannot stand towel bars. Who wants the damp fabric against the wall? We took all out and installed wall mounted towel warmers in the closed off potties of each bathroom. Nice and warm in winter and no damp rags. Face clothes get washed after each use, towels and sheets every third day. The half bath does not need anything as paper towels work fine. They do come in "pretty".

I hope you close the lid EVERY time you flush

Time Warp: Toilet Flush : Video : Discovery Channel

Old 05-12-2014, 08:02 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
OOOO I like! I like!

Filing that away for the next home purchase...
It works great..

Old 05-12-2014, 08:54 PM

22,451 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Laundry tubs are still around. We bought our current house new in 1997. One of the options available was to add a laundry tub in the laundry room so we got one. Even better, our realtor negotiated with the sales agent and got them to throw in the laundry tub (and a few other upgrades) for free.

Our washer empties into the laundry tub. I like having the laundry tub because it is great for filling up buckets when I wash floors. Plus, when I want to wash my hair without having to get into the shower, the laundry tub works perfectly for that!

As for towel racks---our house came with 1 rack per bathroom. We wash our towels every day. Since the master bath had some extra floor space, we bought a bath chair which comes in handy not only for sitting to put on clothes but when my husband had a mild stroke, he had trouble standing on one of his feet when he showered so the bath chair came in handy as it easily fit in the tub. Eventually, he regained strength in his foot and didn't need the chair to shower.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:20 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Where do you wash really dirty or big stuff if you don't have a laundry tub?

In the kitchen sink? In the bathtub?

I never imagined there were houses without laundry tubs.

My dad used to wash our dogs in the laundry tubs, even our collie........front feet on one side, back feet on the other. LOL

In the summer, you can wash muddy, really dirty stuff outside.......but in the winter you need a laundry tub.

I wash off muddy boots and shoes in the laundry tub......sure wouldn't want to do that in the kitchen sink or the bathtub.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:13 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I hear ya, Annie!
I just washed off two pairs of boots in our slop sink (what we call the laundry tub!). I also rinsed out the paint brushes.
It is hard to imagine a house without one....

Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Where do you wash really dirty or big stuff if you don't have a laundry tub?

In the kitchen sink? In the bathtub?

I never imagined there were houses without laundry tubs.

My dad used to wash our dogs in the laundry tubs, even our collie........front feet on one side, back feet on the other. LOL

In the summer, you can wash muddy, really dirty stuff outside.......but in the winter you need a laundry tub.

I wash off muddy boots and shoes in the laundry tub......sure wouldn't want to do that in the kitchen sink or the bathtub.
Outside with the hose, in the bath tub, the bathroom sink. It is one of my biggest complaints about our house. We looked into adding one but it would have been $1000+.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:33 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I can't say that we've really struggled without a laundry tub. Muddy shoes aren't typically a problem here in the suburbs. If my kids go tromping around in the creek in the summer, we just wash their shoes off using the hose outside. I don't do a lot of crafting/painting/household repairs, other than the occasional caulking, so I don't often deal with big messes. If you gave me some examples of other things you wash in your laundry tub, I could tell you how we do it instead.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:45 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Note if you are remodeling your bathroom and have the walls torn apart...

I framed in 2 x 8 boards going horizontal ALL around the walls of the bathroom at towel rack height. Or in other words, there is sturdy wood backing inside the bathroom walls ANYWHERE I might want to ever place a towel rack!

I've seen too many towel racks which have come loose from the walls. Impossible for the towel rack ends to perfectly line up with the studs in the walls and also be where you want them.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Yes, that is very frustrating, which is why we use hooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House