Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:40 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
...I'd rather change things over to quality pleasures and handy items than re-do their mistakes.
Right!

There are things you use every day - say a towel rack or an outlet in the kitchen. Those things can be a "daily frustration" or a "daily pleasure".

I prefer to pay the 2 cents and have a nice life with fewer daily frustrations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Most of the time it's because some people live with what they feel are unnecessary pleasures or handy items -- because the people are CHEAP. Difference between being frugal and cheap.

I've listed and sold enough homes to see these "dumb" scenarios. I'd rather change things over to quality pleasures and handy items than re-do their mistakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Right!

There are things you use every day - say a towel rack or an outlet in the kitchen. Those things can be a "daily frustration" or a "daily pleasure".

I prefer to pay the 2 cents and have a nice life with fewer daily frustrations!
Perhaps, as has been pointed out, the former owners didn't want more towel bars or hooks. That doesn't mean they were cheap.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Where do you wash really dirty or big stuff if you don't have a laundry tub?

In the kitchen sink? In the bathtub?

I never imagined there were houses without laundry tubs.

My dad used to wash our dogs in the laundry tubs, even our collie........front feet on one side, back feet on the other. LOL

In the summer, you can wash muddy, really dirty stuff outside.......but in the winter you need a laundry tub.

I wash off muddy boots and shoes in the laundry tub......sure wouldn't want to do that in the kitchen sink or the bathtub.
I grew up with one, and we used it the same way. I didn't have one for years in this home and it drove me crazy.

We finally installed one a few months ago. I wish we had done it sooner because it cost less than $100 to install!

Old 05-15-2014, 01:40 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
who cares, just put up what you need.

I have the show towel bar on the wall, and on the back of my bathroom door, I have 2 towels racks, one high and the other low, so the stuff can dry. I also sprayed them bronze so they match the hardware, and on my stained doors they look great.

simple and is really useful.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:28 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'd spend less energy wondering why and more energy hanging additional towel bars.
I agree. I was about to leave this thread...

We built and lived in a few homes. In new ones, sometimes towel racks et al were just not that important before the builder left and we didn't get around to it for various reasons (couldn't figure out what style and/or where to put them being a big one...for some folks maybe the budget was depleted and this stuff is the last of the last to get done and not required for banks or CO).

When we did decide what and where, installing was pretty simple...rather than the builder who will often pick fast and cheap rather than good and smart. If you're not handy enough, call a neighbor or handyman to do it. There are unlimited style and size selections on the web and in stores. Pick some YOU like.

BTW, you can hang 'em over closet doors if you have 'em in the bathroom or throw 'em on the bath/whirlpool edge, or even the floor for the maid or the shower door or ...and you must have a million suggestions in the previous posts in this thread .

This is no excuse mind you...but not everyone worries about this stuff as much, so it happens. You may be better off than depending on previous owners and builders tastes.

Just deal with it.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:44 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Only one owner. I guess the bathroom could have been remodeled (although it doesn't look it), but again, why remove something so utilitarian as all the towel bars?

There are no hooks installed, that is part of what I find odd. Personally, I like to dry quickly by donning a terrycloth robe and I stay in it for a while before I put my clothes on. But then I need to put it somewhere and it is damp. This is the Upper Midwest, so in cooler weather (which we are still in), I don't like to run around without clothing right after being in a hot shower/warm bathroom, and I do not like the sensation of putting my clothes on when my skin is still damp. Just me.
because before they painted while getting the house ready to sell, they took down anything that was old, rusted, unattractive or mismatched. So now, you get to pick the kind of towel bars you like, and don't have to remove the previous owners hardware and patch the walls.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:53 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't understand the need to hang clothes in the bathroom.

Whatever we take off is dirty and goes in the laundry, and we dress in the bedroom.
I bring my clean clothes into the bathroom, take a shower, hang my wet towel on a hook and get dressed in the bathroom.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:00 AM

11 posts, read 20,797 times
Our house was built in 1991. There is NO towel rack in our tiny bathroom! There is one in the half bath off what would be the master bedroom [we use it as a family room]. We put our towels up on the shower rack to dry, and washcloths go on the grab bar in the bath and on the back of the shower chair [I'm disabled, so I have an extra grab bar]. The part that slopes down has a flat part near the side of the tub and that's where I put my dirty washcloth so my daughter knows not to use it. We use a rag to wipe down the dogs after their walk because I'm allergic to the grass in our yard. That one goes on the doors under the bathroom sink. I know...bad idea, but usually when my daughter wets the cloth, she only wets half and the dry part is what hangs over the door. We leave it partially open.

We take our clothes in with us, take the towels down and put them in a heap, dirty clothes go in the heap, and clean ones on the chair that is outside the tub [replaced with slide in shower bench]. I have an over the door set of hooks, but that's where some of my clean clothes go. My care aide can't remember where my clothes go...I use plastic boxes on shelves instead of a dresser, and that's just too far outside what she does. We are very rural. I couldn't get anyone to use the vacuum cleaner...they are used to sweeping.

Enjoy being able to do baths yourself, while you can. Things change a lot once you get older and have to have someone else do the putting up. It's exhausting to try to get them to do it the way I like it.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:43 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
also, if you need to dry a towel, just hang it out the window, that works, I do it sometimes......
no big deal....

Old 05-21-2014, 11:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
When we remodeled a bathroom, I made sure that we added an extra towel bar. We also had a bar on the glass tub door. And I also had knobs added on the back of the door and on the storage unit we had installed.

In my present 12 year old home, there is only one towel bar in the hall bath, and one in the toilet/shower stall. The racks are quite large though. And I hang damp towels on the top of the glass doors. I've always done this, because I can hang them without folding, and I think they dry quicker that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House