Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 08:08 AM

14 posts, read 24,871 times

Advertisements

Hope some HVAC folks can offer some advice on home HVAC repair/replace options.
First, was planning to list home for sale very soon, like now. Second, available funds for home upgrades for resale purposes have already been spent on other upgrades so equipment cost is an issue. I have a friend on softball team who's in the HVAC business. I hesitate to call in a favor yet until I learn my options but may need help getting materials at cost from Johnstone or whatever. Not sure if buying online is cheaper or similar to contractors cost from supplier. ???

House & System.
Not positive of fault yet but seems compressor quit yesterday, maybe capicator, who knows. System was tight with no coolant service ever needed. Had a brutal winter here with an historic sustained period of freezing temps so maybe damaged something.
System is old anyway.
House is a 2500 sq/ft 2 story colonial built 1997 in SE PA. Existing/original HVAC is a builders grade York oil burner with a York split A/C w/Cased Upflow Coil sitting on top of burner. A/C is an undersized 2 1/2 ton single zone. Oil burner works OK but is 17 yrs old.

So, main concern is selling house right away with minimal additional expense. If I opt to not install a new system I'm prepared to make a concession to buyer etc and they can install system they want. On the other hand I could loose buyer concerned with a tired old HVAC system.
If it's the compressor unit should I simply replace with a nitrogen charged unit and service with R22. Then at casual glance it would look like a newer A/C sys? Considering a replacement system if costs are right.
I searched and it seems I can get a decent but lesser quality Goodman 3 1/4 to 4 ton A/C maybe 14 seer that could plug and play on top of existing oil burner. ??? Existing upflow air handler/coil is 22" W x 22" D and there is 30" to 35" vertical space available from top of furnace to bottom of main trunk. (30" on back side as there is a 45 piece of duct angle to trunk)
So what are my cost effective options? should I consider complet sys with oil burner too?
Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 08:30 AM

17,469 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Considering you don't know what's wrong with it-
Have a technician come out and do a service inspection. From there you can evaluate your next move- you may have a service fee, service fee + parts, or a recommendation of replacement.

If the tech gets you back up and running for a nominal fee, you're dollars ahead- and here's why.
Assuming a potential buyer hires a private inspector- the inspector will report that the HVAC is in working order. But it's age maybe a concern (that's it- nothing more, nothing less). Now the buyer can either accept what is there, negotiate a reduced price, or make a contract contingent on replacement.

The other side of the coin- talk to your listing agent. (S)he will know where you stand if you have an "operating system" that is near the end of its life cycle, or a newly installed system that is under warranty, as far as buyer pool and potential listing price.

Size, brand, where and how to buy are irrelevant at this point.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:32 AM

14 posts, read 24,871 times
OK, have a call in for a service call. should know condition in a day or two.
thanks

Old 06-20-2014, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,534 times
Hi,

I have a 3800 SQFT house with 2 floors, each floor has own CarrierHVAC units, they are 14 years old, last summer, the ac on second floor is not cold at all, we called the tech, the charged $400 to add freon, the tech guess it was leak but recommended to replace the HVAC. it last the whole summer until this summer, it is happen again, so how can I repair? or can I just replace second floor ac? or replace the two HVAC units? or repair the leak?

Thanks

Frank

Old 06-20-2014, 05:24 PM

153 posts, read 540,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_chen View Post
Hi,

I have a 3800 SQFT house with 2 floors, each floor has own CarrierHVAC units, they are 14 years old, last summer, the ac on second floor is not cold at all, we called the tech, the charged $400 to add freon, the tech guess it was leak but recommended to replace the HVAC. it last the whole summer until this summer, it is happen again, so how can I repair? or can I just replace second floor ac? or replace the two HVAC units? or repair the leak?

Thanks

Frank
Depends...

If you fix the Freon leaks you are sinking money into a 14 year old unit that is liable to break again.

R22 is being phased out. 2015 a new production cap reduction... prices going up. By 2020 R22 will not be produced. Only availability will be recycled reclaimed refrigerant. Prices likely to be outrageous by then.

If you are selling the house maybe then it might be worth attempting to fix the just Freon leaks.

Cost of fixing the Refrigerant leaks varies depending on what needs to be done to fix the leak and how much refrigerant is needed to recharge the unit.

National Average life of an air conditioner is 15 years. Living in a warm climate typically a little less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House