Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:18 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,379,678 times

Advertisements

Hey. This just popped into my head and I honestly hope it does not spark some kind of debate or steps on anyone's toes.

But I was just checking my Facebook and noticed that another FB friend of mine just got under contract for a bigger house.

She is the 2nd friend of mine, that gave birth to a 1st child last year that previously owned a really nice house which was purchased less than 5 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, not judging but it just seems odd to me to buy a house when you know you want a family and, to me, is big enough for 2-4 people (3 bedrooms) but when ONE baby is added, all of a sudden its deemed too small and they must upgrade.

That sounded judgmental, huh?

The other thing is I was talking to some friends who were over my house some weeks back and they were convinced that if I have a 2nd child, I will surely have to move to a bigger house and would not want to stay in my current 3 bed/ 2.5 bath, 3-level townhouse. I could not convince them that this is my long-term home and that I feel its big enough for 3-4 people.

At this point, I have no plans to upgrade. I have a cheap mortgage, low taxes (that have gone down), low utilities and plan to keep it that way. I grew up in a 2 bedroom/1 bath house (for 3-4 people) so I think my house is more than adequate.

But it seems like many people prefer the upgrade.

Thoughts?

Again, I hope I didn't offend anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 11:24 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,741,810 times
Both of my sisters have done this. My middle sister upgraded each time she had a baby (she had #2 recently). The current house is enormous, poorly built/McMansion, and is very, very far out. I have a feeling they're stretched pretty thin after paying the mortgage every month.

I want the smallest place I'm comfortable living - less space to cool/heat and less space to clean!

Old 05-14-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Both of my sisters have done this. My middle sister upgraded each time she had a baby (she had #2 recently). The current house is enormous, poorly built/McMansion, and is very, very far out. I have a feeling they're stretched pretty thin after paying the mortgage every month.

I want the smallest place I'm comfortable living - less space to cool/heat and less space to clean!
Yeah I am having a hard enough time keeping my townhouse clean and organized regularly and our utilities are comfortable. Plus we have probably the tiniest back and front yards ever and hubby and I barely keep those maintained. We also replaced the roof.

I always thought I wanted a McMansion and yes, bigger rooms would be nice but now I look at bigger homes as bigger problems. I have a friend with an unattached, larger home and her heating bill alone was triple mine.

Plus I'd like to actually pay off my mortgage one day.

That would be nice!

Old 05-14-2014, 12:40 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
This should probably be moved here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/mental-health/

Old 05-14-2014, 01:32 PM

38 posts, read 45,218 times
Yes, it's judgmental, but that is what we do here, right? What is that saying about another man's shoes?

What you're forgetting is that little babies come with a LOT of stuff. Adding a person to your family changes your family dynamic in many previously unforeseen ways. And many couples buy homes without having enough insight into what life with a baby/child is actually like.

In my opinion, a tri-level like yours would be a nightmare with babies and toddlers.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Finger View Post
Yes, it's judgmental, but that is what we do here, right? What is that saying about another man's shoes?

What you're forgetting is that little babies come with a LOT of stuff. Adding a person to your family changes your family dynamic in many previously unforeseen ways. And many couples buy homes without having enough insight into what life with a baby/child is actually like.

In my opinion, a tri-level like yours would be a nightmare with babies and toddlers.
Yes, you're right. I don't wanna be judgmental, but...

I guess I lucked out and found a house that I thought would suit my needs for awhile. When the baby came, it hasn't felt any smaller and I don't have baby stuff all over either. In fact, the finished basement has nothing baby in it.

I'm also not much of an upgrader. I always try to get by on less. Also the house-buying experience was such a nightmare for me, I honestly never wanna go through that again.

Could also be because I grew up kinda poor so my perspective may be different.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:41 PM

38 posts, read 45,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Yes, you're right. I don't wanna be judgmental, but...

I guess I lucked out and found a house that I thought would suit my needs for awhile. When the baby came, it hasn't felt any smaller and I don't have baby stuff all over either. In fact, the finished basement has nothing baby in it.

I'm also not much of an upgrader. I always try to get by on less. Also the house-buying experience was such a nightmare for me, I honestly never wanna go through that again.

Could also be because I grew up kinda poor so my perspective may be different.
I abhor moving, so I get that. If you find a place that works for you, it's good to know that and be able to stick with it.

I have given up trying to figure out why people do the things they do, though, and just TRY to live and let live.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:56 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
I think you need to do what is best for YOU and quit pondering the decisions of others.

Quote:
Yeah I am having a hard enough time keeping my townhouse clean and organized regularly and our utilities are comfortable. Plus we have probably the tiniest back and front yards ever and hubby and I barely keep those maintained.
Since you personally have trouble doing that, you should not get anything larger, unless you plan on paying someone to do the work.

Quote:
I always thought I wanted a McMansion and yes, bigger rooms would be nice but now I look at bigger homes as bigger problems. I have a friend with an unattached, larger home and her heating bill alone was triple mine.
Some houses can be more energy efficient that your townhouse.

Quote:
Plus I'd like to actually pay off my mortgage one day.
People with larger houses can pay off their mortgages too. It all has to do with buying what you can afford!

Old 05-14-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I think you need to do what is best for YOU and quit pondering the decisions of others.
I am definitely doing what is best for me and not upgrading.

But what is the harm in considering why people upgrade their homes? I just found it curious, is all.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:22 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,350,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Finger View Post

Babies only come with a lot of stuff when people buy stuff for them. ;-) There were six of us in a house <800 square feet, no basement, no attic, etc. (Not that I would ever want that again!)

I might not understand the mentality but as long as they're not complaining to me about how they don't have money or asking me for money because they are stretched thin, then it doesn't bother me. But because I grew up in such a tiny house, I would have no problem having a bunch of kids (not that I will) in a three bedroom home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House