Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:16 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times

Advertisements

I'd strongly suggest calling the electric service provider and explain the situation. Around here they would send a tech out to inspect the unit and if the electronics are fried and they have a recorded history of the surge, they will fix the unit. I've seen them replace all appliances and the A/C units at no cost to the home owner. But that's our provider which the tax payer owns. May be different where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 05:43 PM

404 posts, read 1,245,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westom View Post
Earthing is also an art. Not all electricians and linemen understand why earth ground is so important and how to make a low impedance (ie no sharp wire bends) connection.

Only solution found in any reliable facility (even 100 years ago) was a 'whole house' solution. Only that solution says where hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate. .[/font][/color]
I think I'll need to re-read the info you posted a few times to get the gist. My electronically challenged-brain almost short-circuited...I just hate it, lol, but I will continue to research. Thank you for the information.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Get your $100 back. What you are describing sounds suspiciously like the loss of a neutral connection allowing twice as many volts to go through the burner and light as normal. Get a professional out there and keep the thing turned off at the breaker until then.
Thank you very much - my thoughts exactly. I don't trust it and am not about to turn it back on. I will call a professional to see if it warrants repairing. We will most likely buy a new one since I've become wary of repairmen. My elderly mom was ripped off in a big way by an unscrupulous contractor a couple of years ago.

The $100 is long gone, the opinion giver had a flat on the way home and had to buy a new tire, lol.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I'd strongly suggest calling the electric service provider and explain the situation. Around here they would send a tech out to inspect the unit and if the electronics are fried and they have a recorded history of the surge, they will fix the unit. I've seen them replace all appliances and the A/C units at no cost to the home owner. But that's our provider which the tax payer owns. May be different where you live.
Thank you. I doubt they will accept responsibility but I would really appreciate if they could at least tell me if it's fried. I will call them tomorrow.

The automated call from the electric company stated there were 450 homes affected but my sister's neighborhood, several miles away, was also without power and that area has more than 1,500 homes. The whole thing was strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House