Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 08:04 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times

Advertisements

I have an old deck and decided to purchase Behr Deck Over as it's supposed to help fill cracks while it paints. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for using this stuff? I started using a roller but the stuff seems way too thick and gets stuck in the roller brush and does not seem to apply smoothly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 09:34 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
It should be called Behr's Bend-over!!!
It's a waste of money-

If one was to "properly" maintain their wood deck from day one they wouldn't need Behr's Bend-over; I mean, Deck Over.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:02 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It's a waste of money-

If one was to "properly" maintain their wood deck from day one they wouldn't need Behr's Bend-over; I mean, Deck Over.
Bend-over LOL. Good one! Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:27 PM

4,229 posts, read 6,905,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It's a waste of money-

agreed, but we bought a house that had a deck that been neglected. We pressure-washed it, cleaned it, stained it (even sanded it in some spots) but it just wasn't that great still and still had splinters etc. After a few years of dealing with it, we decided to put a little money into this product before deciding to put new decking boards down or something.

So, last year around this time I used Behr Deckover and it was not very expensive with their rebates and it actually looks really nice (I went with a two-tone contrasting color setup). We've had it a year and it is still holding up well. It's smooth, hasn't chipped, easy to walk on with bare feet and looks so much nicer than we had before.

If you start out with a nice deck and maintain it then you don't need it. But that's not the target market for the product

From my experience, I would highly recommend it if you are the *right situation*. Like anything else, please make sure you follow the directions exactly and that includes prepping. Weather is a variable but we got lucky with a few warm and dry days to apply both coats and let it dry.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:32 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Please check out this website. They are VERY knowledgeable about all things (wood) deck. They do not endorse the restoration in a can products due to the fact that almost all of them fail pretty quickly and are pricey. You might want to replace the deck floor boards instead. And do try to take care of the deck.

www.deckstainhelp.com

Old 05-19-2014, 08:12 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
I was disappointed. Annoying to use and it's quite brittle. It looks good for a while but quickly cracks and is prone to chipping. Just prime and paint.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:01 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Funny as I just purchased something similar on sunday. I wasn't the only one. The paint dept. at Home Depot was hopping. Every person in line was buying this stuff. The winter was very brutal and I think people are desperate. I did ask the sales guy his honest opinion. He said its made for concrete as well and had a few people come in saying they applied last summer and after the winter it was peeling up.

I looked at Behr but went with Rustoleum restoration. I dislike Behr in general and Rustoleum was cheaper. The sales guy said he hasn't had anyone return on Rustoleum. Very much like Behr they have two kinds. The 4x or the 10x. I did not want that rough textured surface which I believe is the 10x.

I have half moon shaped wooden, two-step steps that are just outside my french doors on the patio. I detest this thing but its simply not in the budget to build a deck yet. When we moved in it was extremely weathered and showed a previous paint job. I tried to add stain but it wouldn't take so I painted it with regular deck paint 2 yrs ago. By the end of summer the paint had wore off and looked like I had never touched it. So last summer I lived with it looking awful but I couldn't take it this year so I decided to give this restoration stuff a try.

I am not sure about the texture of Behr but the Rustoleum 4x (4x the thickness of regular paint) was like painting with pudding. I brushed it. I can't image how it would work with a roller as it was pretty thick applying with a brush. It was a back breaker for sure and I would say my steps are only 10 feet by 4 feet, give or take. If it lasts the summer then I will be happy. So far the dogs nails haven't scratched it off yet but it is only Tuesday .

Old 05-20-2014, 01:07 PM

4,229 posts, read 6,905,580 times
definitely let us know how their product turns out. I used a roller with the deckover and while it was tough it spread alright and leveled out ok as long as I didn't spread it too thick (I used multiple coats). As I stated before, ours is only a year old but it is holding up well with patio furniture and our dog.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:09 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
I uses Behr Deck Over on my front porch last August, which is part wood, part cement.......so far....so good.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:59 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
I finally finished painting my deck using Deck Over and here are my thoughts. Overall I am not that impressed, but my deck was in pretty rough shape to start with and maybe I set my expectations too high. My deck is about 400 sqft and I ended up using about 9 gallons of Deck Over - that was for 1 coat on all the railings/posts and 2 coats on the floor surface. It spread very easily using a roller (easier than I expected), but my biggest complaint is that the color does not seem completely uniform throughout. There are certain areas that clearly appear lighter than other areas. I was sure to keep mixing the can as I went along so I don't think that was the problem. As far as filling the cracks and grooves, it did an OK job, but some cracks/grooves are still visible in many spots. As I mentioned, my deck was pretty bad to begin with, so I probably would need another 1-2 coats, but at a price of $158 for a 5 gallon container, I'm simply not willing to spend any more money on this stuff.

In summary, don't expect a miracle using Deck Over. It's only marginally better than regular paint, and significantly more expensive per gallon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House