U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:36 PM

18 posts, read 127,316 times

Advertisements

My wife is set on buying industrial looking appliances (tried talking her out of it but wouldn't listen). She is a great cook, so now in the market looking for these $$$$$ appliances.

However the builder we are going with only offers Jenn-air. I have been reading consumer reports and they all had nice things to say however people reviews were mixed. So, I am totally confused if I should get Jenn - air. Please help with any feedback you have.

They are not cheap I dont want to take a chance. Are the other brands better viking/wolf/sub-zero(for the fridge)??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 12:48 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,087,070 times
We had Jenn-Air cooktops and ovens in two homes and loved them. Never any problems but only lived in the two homes 3 years and 5 years respectively.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:30 PM

6,565 posts, read 6,776,478 times
I had a fancy-schmancy Jenn-Air range once. You could pull out the gas burners and put in a grill, or it also had griddles. It also had a downdraft that kicked in automatically when it got hot enough.

Storing the unused pieces is something to consider, and let me tell you, that thing was a MONSTER to keep clean. I find gas stoves difficult enough to begin with. The downdraft shaft was always greasy, and how far down was I supposed to stick my hand to scrub it out? All the components needed cleaning, plus the downdraft filter, AND there was a tube that ran from the stove down to a grease container underneath the oven to catch the grease from frying/grilling. There was no way to clean out that tube that I know of.

Like everything with a lot of bells and whistles, it was WAY more trouble than it was worth.

I'd say let your wife get the stove with the look she wants, but examine any high end stove with an eye towards maintenance and let her know that SHE will be the one doing the cleaning.

As for me, I'm a solid surface kinda gal from here on out.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:42 PM

18 posts, read 127,316 times
Thanks stagemomma, that is a great point. I have been worried about durability and repairs but never thought about cleaning. We currently have a gas cooktop and I can see what you are saying.

Anyone owned a counter depth fridge/ dishwasher? waiting to hear what you folks have to say about them!

Old 05-19-2014, 02:03 PM

18,162 posts, read 24,293,871 times
Yes to the counter depth fridge. Works the same as any other and looks better - like it 'fits'.

As far as the Jenn Air, they are made my Whirlpool. I think the difference is more of a visual, aesthetic, status thing along with some extra buttons and toys. We had two good friends who worked for Dacor and they admitted that Dacor was great - years ago. They wouldn't buy it for their own homes (except when they could get discontinued models for free).

I will say that I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER have a down draft. There's no way to keep those suckers clean. Give me a super-size above the stove top fan - in our case, one of the stainless steel ones that look quite modern (and fancy-schmanzy).

Old 05-19-2014, 02:09 PM

12,475 posts, read 30,671,268 times
My mom owned a Jenn-Aire back when they were very expensive.

I think since they are now owned by Whirlpool, they aren't as expensive but I don't know about the quality.

I bought a Jenn-Aire dishwasher about 4 years ago when my old one died because the Jenn-Aire dishwasher had a stainless steel inside and was told they are the most quiet dishwashers. It is VERY quiet. I'm always telling hubby to turn the dishwasher on and he says he did! Yes, it is that quiet.

Vicki

Old 05-19-2014, 02:13 PM

2,465 posts, read 3,898,368 times
Our current house had a Jenn-Aire cooktop when we bought the house. It was the one where you can change the "cartridges" from griddle, to eyes, to grill top, etc. It was a royal pain to keep clean, and the porcelain material chipped easily. We started having problems with it, and some of the cartridges quit working. We replaced it with a smooth glass top range and have been much happier with it.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:18 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,579,629 times
We bought a spec home with all Jenn-Air appliances in the fall of 2007-Wall Oven, Cabinet-Mounted Microwave, 36" Gas Cooktop, and Dishwasher. I was unimpressed with the ratings I could find on them but we were not about to rip brand new appliances out. The rest of the house was what we wanted so we moved in.
6 1/2 years later I have not had a single repair on any of them. This doesn't make me want to replace them with Jenn-Air when the time comes, but I am pleasantly surprised with our ownership so far.
The wall oven's fan is noisy. The dishwasher is decidedly not quiet. My next dishwasher will be a Bosch-my brother got one and it is shockingly quiet. The cooktop and microwave have been flawless, and we use them frequently.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:25 PM

2,465 posts, read 3,898,368 times
Our current dishwasher is a Siemens, and I had honestly never heard much about them, but it was on "clearance" when we bought it and it was a fairly expensive washer prior to being marked down. Other than the beeps to let you know it's finished, you can't hear it running. The layout of the dish trays inside, is terrible, but it works and is very quiet.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:55 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,005,704 times
I'd get the basic appliances and switch them out after you've had a chance to research all the possibilities out there. You can mix and match to get the appliances that suit you. Go walk around this place: THE APPLIANCE CENTER of Durham, Chapel Hill and Raleigh so you can see and touch all the options. It really helps narrow things down IMO. Of course, it may add to the confusion, but they have a lot of options for ranges. We were able to compare the Wolf, Viking and BlueStar which were the three we were considering. And, having had a downdraft...never again! Especially if you have a professional style gas range. We learned that lesson in our old house with a 5 burner BlueStar cook top.

I really like the look of counter depth fridges and hope to get one next time we need one. They do look nicer sitting flush with the counters. They tend to be more expensive than a traditional depth fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House