Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:24 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,575 times

Advertisements

I am in my 2nd new construction house now with my 2nd washer/dryer set (left the old set at the old house when we moved), and experiencing the same issues. Our front load washer is very stable and well balanced- it doesn't hardly even wiggle when it is spinning, but of course with the spin cycle being so fast even on the "low" spin option, you can feel a vibration in the floor and walls throughout much of the 2nd floor and even parts of the first floor. The machine is not moving or banging around or thumping, it is very sturdy and stable- but it's just that vibration that is going through the structure of the house.

So my question is, is this anything to worry about as long as it's not banging around up there? Will this vibration over time loosen nails or screws and somehow damage the integrity of the structure? And have any of you found good solutions to this, drastically cutting down on the vibration that goes into the rest of the house?

I know some manufacturers advise not to put front load machines on the 2nd floor- but the reality is that almost all new homes now have the laundry on the 2nd floor, and most people are buying front load machines now, so I would imagine this is a widespread problem.

If I had my choice I would have just bought a top loader for this new house to avoid this- I am not a huge fan of front loaders mostly for this reason, but this set came with the house so we didn't have much choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 02:51 PM

22,567 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
but the reality is that almost all new homes now have the laundry on the 2nd floor, and most people are buying front load machines now, so I would imagine this is a widespread problem.
The people I know with new construction do NOT have the laundry on the second floor. They prefer the first or the basement.
I would not want one on the second floor for reason of vibrations and possible water damage. Plus, I like a laundry tub!

Any chance you can relocate it?

Old 05-20-2014, 02:53 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
You might try these pads made for washing machines

Washing Machine Vibration Pads | Washer Anti-Vibration Pads | Rubber Washing Machine Pads | Walking Washing Machine | Washing Machine Anti-Vibration Pads | Front Load Washer Vibration | Cleveland Ohio

Old 05-20-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The people I know with new construction do NOT have the laundry on the second floor. They prefer the first or the basement.
I would not want one on the second floor for reason of vibrations and possible water damage. Plus, I like a laundry tub!

Any chance you can relocate it?
Yeah, it stinks- all new homes we've ever looked at in the last few years (not custom, but homes in new developments that are 2 story) have laundry rooms on the 2nd floor- it seems the only way to avoid it around here is to buy a 1 story!

Anyway, no- we don't have any way to relocate it. No plumbing anywhere else in the house to put it, and not even any space to actually put it. Even if we did put it on the 1st floor, that subfloor is just wood as it is on the 2nd floor since the house is on a crawl space. So we'd have the same vibration issues.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:06 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
I have a front loader on the second floor. I do like that the washing machine and dryer is on the same floor as all the bedrooms.

We did notice that we have some cracks in the ceiling from the vibration of the washing machine (it practically spins the clothes dry). It has helped that we purchased a washing machine with "vibration dampening technology". The first floor is really open so I don't think the sheetrock was secured well on the rafters by the builder.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I have a front loader on the second floor. I do like that the washing machine and dryer is on the same floor as all the bedrooms.

We did notice that we have some cracks in the ceiling from the vibration of the washing machine (it practically spins the clothes dry). It has helped that we purchased a washing machine with "vibration dampening technology". The first floor is really open so I don't think the sheetrock was secured well on the rafters by the builder.
Ah yes, that's the funny thing- as I am leaning on the wall getting a mini-massage when the washer is spinning I laugh as I look at the big logo on the front of it advertising its advanced vibration reduction technology.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:17 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default Not a problem

We have our washer/dryer in a closet designed for them.

The builder reinforced the floor.
The builder installed a "safety" floor drain.
The builder tiled the floor.

They work great and do not vibrate the house.
Three years and all is well.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:06 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
Our local code requires a drain pan under the washer if it's on the second story or has any habitable space below it. IRC does not require one. You might research Inertia Base. These are designed to take the vibrations out of equipment.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I am in my 2nd new construction house now with my 2nd washer/dryer set (left the old set at the old house when we moved), and experiencing the same issues. Our front load washer is very stable and well balanced- it doesn't hardly even wiggle when it is spinning, but of course with the spin cycle being so fast even on the "low" spin option, you can feel a vibration in the floor and walls throughout much of the 2nd floor and even parts of the first floor. The machine is not moving or banging around or thumping, it is very sturdy and stable- but it's just that vibration that is going through the structure of the house.

I built the "pedestals from hell" as I refer to them, note they are only attached to the back wall. There is small gap between the pocket door and pedstal and I carried through with that for molding. That wall with the door has almost no vibration. They are screwed directly into the floor. I think because of the wide area it's transferred too it's not as bad as normal. If I had to do it again I probably would have mounted the top of the pedestals on springs.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:25 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We have our washer/dryer in a closet designed for them.

The builder reinforced the floor.
The builder installed a "safety" floor drain.
The builder tiled the floor.

They work great and do not vibrate the house.
Three years and all is well.
Love these ideas! Definitely going to keep them in mind for clients building new construction!

@thecoalman, did you then screw the units into the pedestals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House