Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 06:13 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times

Advertisements

Just remember this.

Good product and service don't need to come to you. If they are knocking on your door, just take the information and throw it away or do some research first. You will find that a lot of these door to door sales people don't even have something to give out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 06:13 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
You actually considered doing business with someone who was selling door to door and now you are surprised they are doing things like this ? Boy, have I got some swampland here in Florida to talk to you about !

You remind me of the lady I saw on the local news the other night. A "nice lady" called her and told her she had won the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstake of $500,000.00 and all she had to do was pay $2700 in taxes first. When she said she didn't have that much the lady said "How much can you pay?" so she sent them $1000.00. Guess what, it was a scam ! (Insert my shocked face here)

You are lucky they only climbed on your roof. For all you know you could have been allowing people who were hellbent on robbing you access to your home. This ain't 1950 anymore, get some street smarts.

Don

Old 05-28-2014, 09:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Am I overreacting?
I certainly think you are overreacting. They told you the day and then you kicked them off the roof. How the heck do they know you changed your mind? They just wasted a bunch of time giving you FREE information and you let them spend the money to do so and then don't let them even finish the FREE estimate?

Then you ask, what is wrong with people? If you didn't want the estimate, you should have told them that in the first place. Goodness, the company might be a start up and they are running tight, but of course like most people they only think about themselves. How dare they climb on my roof after I told them I wanted a FREE estimate! Goodness!

Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You actually considered doing business with someone who was selling door to door and now you are surprised they are doing things like this ? Boy, have I got some swampland here in Florida to talk to you about !

You remind me of the lady I saw on the local news the other night. A "nice lady" called her and told her she had won the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstake of $500,000.00 and all she had to do was pay $2700 in taxes first. When she said she didn't have that much the lady said "How much can you pay?" so she sent them $1000.00. Guess what, it was a scam ! (Insert my shocked face here)

You are lucky they only climbed on your roof. For all you know you could have been allowing people who were hellbent on robbing you access to your home. This ain't 1950 anymore, get some street smarts.

Don
This was a FREE estimate and the OP looked them up on the Internet. I don't see ANY issues with getting a free estimate. The example you gave is not even close to someone doing something for free.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:06 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Your wife should have told him to get off the roof (because she was there and could talk directly to the person on the roof). Then if he did not get down, call the police!

And I've done a lot of home service calls in the past. I would have first knocked on the door, said I was there to give them an estimate, but I had to climb up on the roof. And asked if I could do that.

Or if it was a service call, I would have knocked on the door, told them I was there, and that I would be on the roof checking out the problem (or in back yard, or whatever).

Old 05-28-2014, 09:28 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Professional don't go climbing on people's roof without "checking in" first.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:36 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
This was a FREE estimate and the OP looked them up on the Internet. I don't see ANY issues with getting a free estimate. The example you gave is not even close to someone doing something for free.
Oh, for you I also have a bridge down here for sale ! You are right, all legitimate companies have door to door guys going around making appointments. We get them all the time in Florida, usually after a hurricane they come out and offer to repair any damage you have. Problem is, they are unlicensed, uninsured, and scammers.

It is folks like you who keep these wonderful people in business. (Buy two bridges this week and I will throw in the Gulf of Mexico)

Don

Old 05-28-2014, 09:44 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Your fault. You didn't actually contact them after the initial door-to-door right? You were going to do that when he called back.

You neglected to insure they got your message and decision. Businesses will always assume you are interested unless you explicitly say different, just the way it is.

Did they screw up? Sure but so did you and it is your house and your responsibility to look out for your best interests.

Hopefully lesson learned.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:51 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
The other day I started talking to a solar company that was coming door to door in my neighborhood. The sales guy told me the how it all works and mentioned that a team could come out to measure my house and build an estimate. I said that sounded good and he mentioned that they might be available on Tuesday. I gave him my cell number and shut the door.

I researched the company and it turned out that they were not well established and I wasn't really interested anymore. I decided I'd tell him when he called that I was going to pass. This was all on Saturday.

Today my wife calls me at work and tells me that someone is on my roof?!?! The solar company never set up a time and just showed up. My wife was out for a walk with our newborn son and they just climbed on the roof. I was very unhappy and called the company to tell them to get off my roof and leave. The customer service said sorry and they would call them. An hour passes and my wife texts me that they're still on the roof! I called back and sternly told them to get the hell off of my house and leave before I call the police. The salesman calls me two minutes later and gives me his pitch that he told me they would be available on Tuesday and that he told me they were going to come by. I told him in an assertive tone that you should always call ahead and that I don't appreciate people climbing on my roof unannounced when my baby and wife are home alone. I exchanged some unhappy words and hung up.

What is wrong with people? Who in their right mind would think it's ok to climb on a roof unannounced? Am I overreacting? I feel most people would not be happy if it happened to them.
You probably shouldn't have agreed to the visit at all without checking them out first. Anybody going door-to-door is going to be fairly sketchy.

However, as a wife out for a walk, I would have called the police immediately upon seeing someone on my roof.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:36 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
However, as a wife out for a walk, I would have called the police immediately upon seeing someone on my roof.
If I see what appears to be workers on my roof, the first thing I'm going to do is ask "Hey guys, why are you on my roof?" My assumption would be that they have the wrong house, not that they are up to no good. I mean, it would be a lot easier to break out a window than to break through the roof.

OP, you agreed to allow them to measure your house, Tuesday was the day given, and you didn't notify them you changed your mind. Unless the salesman specifically said you should expect a call to confirm a time for Tuesday, I don't think you should be angry at the company based upon your assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House