Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 04:52 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
On a side note: I went to a fondue place with my BFF, Goodwill with hubby and kids for my birthday and now off to a flea market to find stuff for the house!
well the flea market wasnt a flea market like "people brought stuff they dont want to sell"....it was " i made this and want to sell it for an arm and a leg". I did find an $8 apron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 06:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I don't know what to tell you about the garage door. Maybe replace it, and salvage the bead board for some other project?

I'm a big fan of natural light, so I'd keep the back door. You could find out how much it would cost to replace the glass with a piece of tempered, frosted glass. (if you replace the glass at all, it should be tempered, because it's in a door) Or, you could get frosted glass window film, and apply it to the original glass.
I had a back door with glass in it in a house that was built in the 1930s - it was the original door so I didn't want to replace it and I loved the natural light. I bought the film that was in an Arts and Crafts style "stained glass" pattern, and it was easy to apply and looked TERRIFIC. It held up very well also.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:12 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I had a back door with glass in it in a house that was built in the 1930s - it was the original door so I didn't want to replace it and I loved the natural light. I bought the film that was in an Arts and Crafts style "stained glass" pattern, and it was easy to apply and looked TERRIFIC. It held up very well also.

We also had a glass back door and loved the extra light, we installed a security door for safety...

Old 08-17-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We were going to get some for the window in the dining room actually. We may look into that for the back door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
We also had a glass back door and loved the extra light, we installed a security door for safety...
If someone can get through the 6ft high locked fence AND get past 4 dogs to get to the back door to break the glass- they are more than welcome to break in. I however cant guarantee they will leave with 2 arms or 2 legs.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:37 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,389 times
We just put a keyed deadbolt on our one door with a glass inset.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
We just put a keyed deadbolt on our one door with a glass inset.
That doesnt do anything for the glass part.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:08 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
I would put some paper over the glass in the back door for awhile to see if I liked not having a window before I bought a solid door. A trial run.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
That doesnt do anything for the glass part.
No, but it keeps people from breaking the glass and reaching in to unlock the door. Sure, they can break the glass, but the keyed deadbolt means they can't unlock it.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
No, but it keeps people from breaking the glass and reaching in to unlock the door. Sure, they can break the glass, but the keyed deadbolt means they can't unlock it.
They could climb through the glass part though. (that would be funny to see them try but they could).
-------------

On a different note, now im entertaining the idea of "finishing" the basement. Not in the traditional sense of adding walls and floor but making it feel finished. Not really sure how im going to, but im open to ideas. I was thinking of adding a couch and another area rug and then make a room divider for where the furnace and washer/dryer are. Would that be a cheap, good looking idea?

Last edited by Ohky0815; 08-17-2014 at 08:56 PM..

Old 08-17-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
They could climb through the glass part though. (that would be funny to see them try but they could).
-------------

On a different note, now im entertaining the idea of "finishing" the basement. Not in the traditional sense of adding walls and floor but making it feel finished. Not really sure how im going to, but im open to ideas. I was thinking of adding a couch and another area rug and then make a room divider for where the furnace and washer/dryer are. Would that be a cheap, good looking idea?
Heh, they could, but at that point they could just go through any first floor window, too. Our door has dividing panels on the glass so it'd complicate it further, plus anyone climbing through that narrow a space is likely to get shredded by any remaining glass. You're right, it would be funny to see!

Did you show pics of the basement? What finishing is done there already? A cheap dividing option for the washer/dryer area is to string up the tension cable rods (Ikea has them) and just hang curtains of some kind to wall it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House