Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 09:38 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Been catching up on your new old house. Nice house. Lots of possibilities. Ive been in mine for a while but Ive been where youre at. Youll do fine as long as you let the house be an old house and dont try to force it to be shiny and new.

I had that black glue stuff when I redid my multi layered kitchen floor a few years ago.
This worked for me. Pour boiling hot water on the glue. Let it sit till the glue turns white. Then mop up the mess. Use wet newspaper to make a dam at the doors to contain the water. You need to soak the floor to get the glue to release. That black glue probably has asbestos so not sanding it off is better for you if it does. After my floor dried I gave it a light sanding with a belt sander and clear coated it. I was rewarded with a very nice pumpkin pine floor with lots of "character". I like a floor with character. New and shiney is boring.

If you find that your floor has a little too much character you can do a painted floor. That would be in line with an old house. If mine didnt turn out I was planning on doing a stenciled rug or maybe checker board with a boarder. Kinda like one of these. Floorcloth - Historic Reproduction Floorcloths - Historical Floor cloth

Edited to add
Maybe new wood is different but my 100 year old wood floor did not warp. I only left the water on long enough to melt the glue though then I mopped it up and rinsed it. OLd wood floors arent tight like new ones. Its the tightness that causes the warping .

BTW you can paint your fireplace tiles to make them look better till you can replace them.
Michaels and Hobby Lobby have ceramic paint that will work on tile. And you can paint mugs and other stuff.
Wow- Thanks for all the info!!! Ill try the water tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Put plush carpeting over the wooden floors in the living room and upstairs bedrooms.
Nope. No thank you. I ripped up the carpet that was in one bedroom, im not going back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 02:10 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,518 posts, read 6,325,899 times
BTW. The water has to be REALLY HOT. Theres an old thread here somewhere with my tale of woe but to make it short other chemicals etc wont faze that old glue from Hell. First I boiled pots on the stove. Then I got smart and jacked my water heater up to boiling hot and used the sink sprayer.

I dont have a ton of money so Im into rehab on the cheap and I prefer to keep my houses beauty marks.
I dont have time right now for any projects Huz is going into the hospital. Again. So thanks for letting me poke around in your reno.

You need to fix that leak. In the meantime poke a hole in the ceiling with a knife so the water will drain instead of sitting on top of the ceiling plaster and soaking in. Easier to patch a small hole than a section of ceiling.

Please dont tear out your old plaster and replace it with drywall. Even if it looks bad trust me it can be repaired and patched.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
BTW. The water has to be REALLY HOT. Theres an old thread here somewhere with my tale of woe but to make it short other chemicals etc wont faze that old glue from Hell. First I boiled pots on the stove. Then I got smart and jacked my water heater up to boiling hot and used the sink sprayer.

I dont have a ton of money so Im into rehab on the cheap and I prefer to keep my houses beauty marks.
I dont have time right now for any projects Huz is going into the hospital. Again. So thanks for letting me poke around in your reno.

You need to fix that leak. In the meantime poke a hole in the ceiling with a knife so the water will drain instead of sitting on top of the ceiling plaster and soaking in. Easier to patch a small hole than a section of ceiling.

Please dont tear out your old plaster and replace it with drywall. Even if it looks bad trust me it can be repaired and patched.
Thanks so much!!

1) our sink sprayer doesnt work. Well when we moved in it didnt work so we replaced the head and it fixed it for a bit (and the leak under the sink) but then stopped working all together. I guess we could replace the hose and try that idea!!

2) I dont have a ton of money either, hubby is unemployed right now.

3) We poked a hole in the kitchen ceiling so it will drain down but its the cubby hole leak we need to fix and figure out where it actually is leaking from the roof.

4) So far we havent had any plaster disasters but once we figure out the leak, we will have to go from there.

ETA: i tried to find your old thread and couldnt find it.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:34 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Tons of possibilities. The living room floors look beautiful....The others will come back with loving care Interesting throughout, you'll have lots of fun! I adored what I could see of your back yard.....I hope that you enjoy gardening, because it looks like you have some really nice space to work with. Nice house!!

Old 09-28-2014, 07:00 PM

My great grandparents had a chest robe/chifferobe downstairs and no one knows where it came from or why it was kept in the basement. We decided to bring it upstairs yesterday. We found 2 newspapers from September 27. 1942 inside. (behind the mirror). Amazing how things have changed!!!

Old 09-30-2014, 12:15 PM

New electric bill:
Gas: $41
Electric: $114

Going down!

Old 09-30-2014, 12:49 PM

983 posts, read 2,541,943 times
I love watching what you are doing to this house. Really wanted to have an old house and fix it but chickened out at the end and bought a new one. I am still dreaming of doing that one day, never know.. please post some new pics of how it looks today.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I love watching what you are doing to this house. Really wanted to have an old house and fix it but chickened out at the end and bought a new one. I am still dreaming of doing that one day, never know.. please post some new pics of how it looks today.
It has its ups and downs, lol.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:40 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
We remodeled an old farm house.

Never again.

It is nice.......but, we still have an expensive old house.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:43 PM

Exclamation Update

FIRST water bill SINCE move in came today!!!

Now keep in mind my uncle claimed it was a $300+ bill every 3 months and all that. BUT I wasnt having any of that! No sir, NO wasting water and bringing up a high bill!! Aside from " What the crap was my uncle doing to have a water bill that high for 2 people and a dog?! "

From 7/24 to 9/22
Water: 28.39
Sewer: 73.61
Trash: 31.50
TOTAL: 133.70!!!!!!

Not sure how id get it much lower?

We did add a shower to the clawfoot tub so its no longer a tub only
We added a dishwasher which uses less water than hand washing multiple times a day
We alternate days on laundry and dishwasher if possible
We have no working outside faucet so no wetting the lawn/washing the car
We have the hot water heater set at 120

I mean we wash our hands, flush the toilet too of course.

is sewer stuck that high? My goal was to cut all bills in half based on what my uncle said. So $300 water bill, get it to $150. We have never had to pay water so ANY other tips you can give me would be great!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House