Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 08:51 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Use shellac on the floors. It's what would've been on there originally (may still be) and much easier to repair in the future than poly.

Kitchen... Are those tiles or etched plaster? I have etched plaster in my kitchen and bath but unfortunately they covered what was in the bath in the 1970s. It's still buried behind the tub but I'm not sure I can reclaim the walls. My house was built in 1926
Tiles my uncle put up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
It is a handsome house. The house next door looks to be its twin (or at least sister) and appears to have more of its original elements; the windows look original and have those nice vertical muntins in the upper sash and it also looks to have more of the original cladding. I would look to it as a guide to renovating your house as you can afford to. Get to know your neighbors and get inside that house, I'd be willing to bet it also has some original one panel doors (or they might be five horizontal panels), hardware and other interior architectural elements to replicate or find at an architectural salvage for yours.

Trust me, "little" details like doors and windows are the key to making a period house feel right.

I would "claim" your yard too, corner properties can be problematic if left too open. Put in an attractive fence and you'll have a great play space for the kids and don't forget to put in an entertaining space- deck/terrace for yourselves.
The house next door is a rental from a slumlord according to my uncle. It is sitting empty right now. The people behind us are younger and "adventure seekers". The yard is claimed with a fence all around. We would not consider this house or any without a fenced in yard. It was #1 on our wish list and non negotiable. There is a back patio, it just needs work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 04:57 AM

Talked to my dad this AM: Original Kitchen floor was asbestos tiles not hardwood with layers ("and layers") of linoleum . So I guess ill have to get that level somehow and lay down hardwood. Also said he cant remember if there is brick on fireplace, he only remembers normal drywall type wall.

So i guess a semi kitchen reno is in order. flooring, Cabinets, pulls, stove.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:13 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
You have to jump through some environmental hoops if you disturb asbestos and you should do that for health reasons. It can stay if it's undisturbed. I personally would want it out. I hope you update this and show us your progress. Love your house!!

Old 06-09-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
You have to jump through some environmental hoops if you disturb asbestos and you should do that for health reasons. It can stay if it's undisturbed. I personally would want it out. I hope you update this and show us your progress. Love your house!!
I plan to.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:50 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Talked to my dad this AM: Original Kitchen floor was asbestos tiles not hardwood with layers ("and layers") of linoleum . So I guess ill have to get that level somehow and lay down hardwood. Also said he cant remember if there is brick on fireplace, he only remembers normal drywall type wall.

So i guess a semi kitchen reno is in order. flooring, Cabinets, pulls, stove.
Whatever kind of floor was there originally, was probably laid on a subfloor of tongue and groove pine, that can be refinished, if it hasn't been damaged too much over the years. But, it's up to you, if you want to deal with the hassle of the asbestos tiles.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:35 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times
I only saw one bathroom photo. Does this house have only one bathroom? the time (early 1900s) indicates that perhaps it wouldn't have a shower head. I really like those tubs with the cute claw feet, but not in the complete absence of any shower. I see the curtain around the tub, but it doesn't make sense. If there is a shower head above the top of the photo, it would get the walls wet. So I have to assume it is only a tub. If no one will be use it, remove the curtain. If it is in the adults bedroom, remove the curtain. A curtain is nowhere near enough privacy to have between a tub and a toilet. If someone is taking a bath and the other is brushing their teeth, why would you want the curtain drawn? I'm just having a hard time seeing any circumstance where this is ideal. If you have the plumbing skills required it might be nice to remove the tub and put in a small standing shower. Of course, this assumes you do not have a dog that you will be bathing in the tub.

So basically, curtain should probably go. Depending on if there is another bathroom and your family situation, you might want to look at ways to put in a tile shower. It appears square feet come at an enormous premium, so a standing room only shower would fit in better than a bathtub. Children 6 and 8, I have no idea when kids switch from baths to showers. Not a parent, nor planning to ever be, and yes, I am old enough to have children entering high school.

Next topic: Upstairs room for 8yo. The room is beautiful, the way it is designed around the window is great. However, the slope of the ceiling and the armoire really clash. If the wall opposite the window has enough room for it, it might look much better there. Otherwise, I would consider using it somewhere else in the house and designing some low shelving that follows the wall. By having the shelving right up against the wall you'll really maximize the space in the room. You might even notice maximization of sqft to be a trend in my thought process.

I think you'll have plenty of advice on kitchen already. I would look at removing many of the drapes. Space is at a premium, and the drapes are inside the regular room space. Just using blinds inside the windows would give more space and look less cluttered. Personal decision: I would suggest either looking for some wood blinds that look really nice for matching the house, or use some blinds that are one complete piece that allow light to glow through even when shut. I'm not an expert at describing them. I have some that even when completely down you can see the outline of the windows and some light comes through, but no one outside could see anything through them. They are wonderful. Not sure how the style would match in that house though.

Pocket doors would seem superior to sliding door there.

Dining room: I would definitely get rid of the wall paper. Repaint the walls to be almost all one color. Perhaps using one accent wall.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
You have a perfect place for a porch swing at the "long end" of your porch. You could add some outdoor cushions for more color and to make it comfortable. You'll probably want to paint the porch floor a color that doesn't show dirt - gray is traditional, while sky blue is traditional for porch ceilings.

Hanging fern baskets (evenly placed between the end columns and the half-columns) would soften the angles and add visual warmth to the porch. Wicker furniture - perhaps two chairs with matching cushions and a round table for lemonade and/or board games- for the other end of the porch would also make it both useful and attractive. You also have room for pots of blooming plants to "march" down the front steps, making your entrance more welcoming. Geraniums would be nice and are very easy to care for.

These are all fairly simple and reasonably inexpensive cosmetic touches - the plants and wicker furnishings could be added in one afternoon, and would give you a lot of bang for your buck and allow you to use the porch as an outdoor room during the warm months.

Adding some smallish blooming trees in the front yard would add a lot to its appearance - dogwoods, crabapples, redbuds, etc. Think it over, and add small trees and perhaps foundation plantings next fall.

In back - or is it a side yard?? - the patio area looks shady, so more ferns, begonias, impatiens in a bright or pastel color, and coleus will add easy color. Once they're in, they'll just need watering and perhaps a little dose of fertilizer now and then (mine do fine without fertilization).

The child's bedroom with the evenly angled ceiling reminds me of a circus tent! This might be a good decorating scheme, if said child likes the idea. A camping theme would also work well here.

What colors do you want to use in your new-old house? Consulting decorating magazines from its period (or books about bungalows) might offer some excellent ideas.

Have fun with your house - it has a lot of potential.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 06-09-2014 at 12:47 PM..

Old 06-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I only saw one bathroom photo. Does this house have only one bathroom? the time (early 1900s) indicates that perhaps it wouldn't have a shower head. I really like those tubs with the cute claw feet, but not in the complete absence of any shower. I see the curtain around the tub, but it doesn't make sense. If there is a shower head above the top of the photo, it would get the walls wet. So I have to assume it is only a tub. If no one will be use it, remove the curtain. If it is in the adults bedroom, remove the curtain. A curtain is nowhere near enough privacy to have between a tub and a toilet. If someone is taking a bath and the other is brushing their teeth, why would you want the curtain drawn? I'm just having a hard time seeing any circumstance where this is ideal. If you have the plumbing skills required it might be nice to remove the tub and put in a small standing shower. Of course, this assumes you do not have a dog that you will be bathing in the tub.

Next topic: Upstairs room for 8yo. The room is beautiful, the way it is designed around the window is great. However, the slope of the ceiling and the armoire really clash. If the wall opposite the window has enough room for it, it might look much better there. Otherwise, I would consider using it somewhere else in the house and designing some low shelving that follows the wall. By having the shelving right up against the wall you'll really maximize the space in the room. You might even notice maximization of sqft to be a trend in my thought process.

I think you'll have plenty of advice on kitchen already. I would look at removing many of the drapes. Space is at a premium, and the drapes are inside the regular room space. Just using blinds inside the windows would give more space and look less cluttered. Personal decision: I would suggest either looking for some wood blinds that look really nice for matching the house, or use some blinds that are one complete piece that allow light to glow through even when shut. I'm not an expert at describing them. I have some that even when completely down you can see the outline of the windows and some light comes through, but no one outside could see anything through them. They are wonderful. Not sure how the style would match in that house though.
There is only 1 bathroom. Im not sure why my uncle has a shower curtain? We arent keeping it. There is just a tub. We dont intend to put a shower. The Armoire is not staying. There are blinds on all the windows and I actually considered not having curtains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You have a perfect place for a porch swing at the "long end" of your porch. You could add some outdoor cushions for more color and to make it comfortable. You'll probably want to paint the porch floor a color that doesn't show dirt - gray is traditional, while sky blue is traditional for porch ceilings.

Hanging fern baskets (evenly placed between the end columns and the half-columns) would soften the angles and add visual warmth to the porch. Wicker furniture - perhaps two chairs with matching cushions and a round table for lemonade and/or board games- for the other end of the porch would also make it both useful and attractive. You also have room for pots of blooming plants to "march" down the front steps, making your entrance more welcoming. Geraniums would be nice and are very easy to care for.

These are all fairly simple and reasonably inexpensive cosmetic touches - the plants and wicker furnishings could be added in one afternoon, and would give you a lot of bang for your buck and allow you to use the porch as an outdoor room during the warm months.

Adding some smallish blooming trees in the front yard would add a lot to its appearance - dogwoods, crabapples, redbuds, etc. Think it over, and add small trees and perhaps foundation plantings next fall.

In back - or is it a side yard?? - the patio area looks shady, so more ferns, begonias, impatiens in a bright or pastel color, and coleus will add easy color. Once they're in, they'll just need watering and perhaps a little dose of fertilizer now and then (mine do fine without fertilization).

The child's bedroom with the evenly angled ceiling reminds me of a circus tent! This might be a good decorating scheme, if said child likes the idea. A camping theme would also work well here.

What colors do you want to use in your new-old house? Consulting decorating magazines from its period (or books about bungalows) might offer some excellent ideas.

Have fun with your house - it has a lot of potential.
We have a porch swing (its broken at the moment) and I have to be careful with what flowers because im highly allergic to bees. I think plants would be nice and there are options. The 2 trees in the backyard are magnolia and there are no other plants back there. Im not sure what the front trees are. We need to plant grass.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:30 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
Oh man, I love old houses. I hate my 1980s cookie cutter house. In Los Angeles I lived in a house built in 1911.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:04 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Curtains are the right choice. I do like blinds but they are terrible to clean.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House