Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 02:51 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times

Advertisements

We are not totally sure how many tiny entrances there are in this vacant house. We know of one small rodent that may be a mouse or maybe a small rat.

It's eating up D-Con likes its candy.
How long to be rodent free with D-Con?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 02:56 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We are not totally sure how many tiny entrances there are in this vacant house. We know of one small rodent that may be a mouse or maybe a small rat.

It's eating up D-Con likes its candy.
How long to be rodent free with D-Con?
Until you stop new ones from coming in -- NEVER!

D-Con is designed to be tasty to rodents. That is so they will eat it then then scurry off and die. Then another one smells and tastes the D-Con, then another, and another. Some will die in the walls of the house some will actually leave and die elsewhere but as long as new ones keep coming in the D-Con will continue to be eaten.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Until you stop new ones from coming in -- NEVER!

D-Con is designed to be tasty to rodents. That is so they will eat it then then scurry off and die. Then another one smells and tastes the D-Con, then another, and another.
As of yesterday we have only seen one of them and we are trying to catch this one and see if there is even a second one. 36 hours of D-Con has not stopped this one, unless it is not the only one.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:23 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Where can you buy the old D-Con?

Have not seen it here in California for awhile now.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
As of yesterday we have only seen one of them and we are trying to catch this one and see if there is even a second one. 36 hours of D-Con has not stopped this one, unless it is not the only one.
Why do you think you are only seeing one? Just because you only see one at a time? If you actually see the D-Con being eaten you better hope it isn't the same one. Now 36 hours may not be enough for it to fully take affect so I would give it more time. But D-Con will attract vermin. It id designed to be tasty to make them WANT to eat it. So other rodents will be attracted to it.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I think it was taken off the shelves in 2014. This box was bought in late 2013.
But Google shows it being sold.
Shop D-CON Indoor/Outdoor Rodent Poison Bait for House Mice at Lowes.com

We need to catch one and then wait and see if there are others.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:03 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I think you need to plug up the holes you have with a foam gun (you can get them online too ) . Unless you plug up the holes in the house you will keep seeing rodents .

Old 05-24-2016, 04:04 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I would always use it to monitor the population by placing it inside foundation vents... sometimes it would be years before any would disappear... by being behind the vent screen it was protected but I could still do a visual each week at the properties I managed.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Actually you have - It is sold in Pharmacies by prescription. It is called Coumadin or Warfrin!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfarin

Look towards the bottom where it talks about use as a rodentcide. The stuff is nasty. In the pharmacies it has to be handled as toxic waste. Even the empty containers and the cotton from the bottles has to be kept in sealed baggies seperated from the other damaged pills, etc when disposed of.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:27 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Actually you have - It is sold in Pharmacies by prescription. It is called Coumadin or Warfrin!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfarin

Look towards the bottom where it talks about use as a rodentcide. The stuff is nasty. In the pharmacies it has to be handled as toxic waste. Even the empty containers and the cotton from the bottles has to be kept in sealed baggies seperated from the other damaged pills, etc when disposed of.
It's just a blood thinner. In humans, the dosage is therapeutic, but in a small rodent, what's therapeutic in a human is fatal, because it basically thins their blood so much that they bleed out. Same thing would happen in a human in an overdose situation.

But.. Those who spoke on sealing up how they're getting in is right. Flour is actually pretty good.. Sprinkle it around areas where they may be running and see if you can track the path.. It will also generally help tell you if there's more than one present.

I had some flooring replaced in November due to a failed hot water heater, and I had the guy drill a hole in the new flooring for the drain.. Well, he did it, but he didn't seal it up.. So I saw 1 mouse.. Put down a few glue boards, and within 3 hours, 4 were trapped. I put some steel wool and expanding foam in the hole.. Caught 2 more the next day.. Then none.

Seeing one doesn't mean there's lots more, but seeing one doesn't mean there's only one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House