Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 02:11 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times

Advertisements

Is that the entire lake we are seeing in the pictures, or is that just a small cove? If that is it, I would say more like a small pond, with some pretty dense construction all around. Going to be an issue with too many neighbors stressing such a small body of water.

There are better options than sitting there sipping your favorite beverage while the teens from next door battle it out over who gets to relax on the air mattress or smelling the stench from the neighbor's fire pit while they burn up their rubbish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 02:39 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
Another thing to consider is the ownership of the lake. Is it community owned? How is it maintained, who makes those decisions and who pays for them? Is there a dam? I love living on the lake, but that assumes it is a well maintained one and that often comes with a price.
This^^^. I've known of a nice private gated community on a lake that owns the lake, and had significant assessments when there was an issue with the dam. It's not always the case, but do make sure of what obligations there may be, if any, if there is a lake issue. We have a house on a lake and are within weeks of moving there full time. We have watershed restrictions on building too close to the shoreline. Otherwise the lake is owned by the power company because it's really just the collection site for the nuclear power plant at the other end. Not worried about that. It already survived an earthquake a few years ago.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:43 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
If you're concerned about the mosquitoes, the lake isn't going to add much, if anything, to the problem. Very few mosquito species breed in a lake since small fish, dragonfly larvae, etc., will prey on mosquitoes in an open water environment. Most mosquito species breed in shallow and temporary waters, simply due to the fact that few predators are in those waters to eat the mosquito larvae. In an urban setting, clogged up gutters provide prime breeding habitat; lakes, not so much.

Jackmichigan, you are right again! I have two large ponds on my property and my deck overlooks one about 20 feet away. The fish, frogs and birds take care of the mosquito larvae in the ponds, but I do see larvae in water from the irrigation system that ends up in out-of-the-way crevices. The frogs do make a racket but that's country life! I personally love living near the water -- the wildlife is very entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House