U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:09 PM

29 posts, read 65,947 times

Advertisements

Would really appreciate your advice and comments?
Photo1: You see our house has a straight driveway. We want to modify this existing driveway so that the area marked closer to the red x have more usability/accessibility to us. That said, we want to avoid any silly temptations as well, which is why need your feedback.
Photo2/Option1: It shows a traditional circular driveway (marked with yellow). I like this design (it is symmetrical, can be decorated with a fountain/sculpture in the middle etc) but this driveway looks too small of a circle (we like big sprawling driveways) and does not 'completely' fulfill our goals/objectives.
Photo3/Option2: sort of L-shaped. It is not as conventional and nice looking as the prior circular driveway, however fulfills the objective and is more sprawling.
Photo4/Option3: ZigZag-shaped. It is totally out of convention (so we are not sure how it will actually turn out), however it does satisfy the goals.

ps: you'll have to click few times on the photo to make it bigger enough size to view

Last edited by yeeah; 11-09-2014 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 08:29 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,707,040 times
What is the objective? In the state where I live they are starting to tax 'impervious surface' even in residential properties. The idea is to encourage less paved area because of runoff. So what are the 'more usebility/accessibility' these give you?

Old 06-12-2014, 08:58 PM

There is a lake closer to the red x-mark, but due to grassy area thats too far far away from the building (with dense trees making it even more remote). But if we bring driveway closer to that spot it will increase accessibility (plus landscape ideas etc), plus I think add a stately look to the house (a circular driveway with separate entrance/exit points)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
What is the objective? In the state where I live they are starting to tax 'impervious surface' even in residential properties. The idea is to encourage less paved area because of runoff. So what are the 'more usebility/accessibility' these give you?

Old 06-13-2014, 05:47 AM

8,234 posts, read 11,684,621 times
I think the Circular Driveway is the best, even if most conventional option. Sometimes, there is a reason for conventions, they just seem more appealing to a broad selection of homebuyers.

Now, if you wanted to maximize your use of the property, maybe build a second garage on the side and go with option 3 or even just have the second driveway go to that garage only. If you even had ideas on getting a third car for fun or like to work on cars, it would be a good place to do it. Maybe have a back part or lower section, depending on how your land runs with an outdoor kitchen or something. Would give you a nice courtyard type area back there, maybe eventually put a pool in or something.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:29 AM

28,461 posts, read 74,323,880 times
Honestly looking at the aerial view of not just the front of the OP's home but the whole lot and those of the surrounding homeowners the last thing I would be doing is spending money on a driveway.

If somebody held a gun to my head and said "spend some money outdoors" it seems to make much more sense to upgrade the backyard of the subject house. Maybe there is alread a very impressive area for outdoor grilling and entertaining but even if there is it makes sense to expand that AND upgrade the landscaping. While several other homes seem to have direct access to the "lake" the subject homes seems to be fenced off.

Not only would adding driveway not address this shortcoming the net result would be the "visual impact" of the "more stately" driveway would set up folks for a BIGGER DISAPPOINTMENT that the other homes are actually better sited with respect to the water. Don't get me wrong, I know some buyers specifically DO NOT water access lots becuase of fears that go along with young kids and such, but you'd be spending money in a way that makes the issues with the "pluses" of your site NOT be emphasized.

From a pure financial standpoint the fact is blacktop is costly, concrete moreso and paver bricks even worse. The additional cost that may come from local taxes on "impervious surface" might also be a factor, though even if there is no such tax why sign yourself for increased maintenance costs for driveway that won't really add function. Honestly even for folks that might be swayed by a "stately look" given the rest of the subdivison it would be far better to upgrade the outdoor entertaining space AND landscaping.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:40 AM

4,675 posts, read 8,256,841 times
Leave it alone.

You want upscale looking? Get rid of the blacktop and go with pavers.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:15 AM

2,162 posts, read 5,717,614 times
Option 3 is stupid. Almost no one knows how to drive backwards well enough to navigate down a zigzag driveway. Plus it looks butt ugly.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:15 PM

Thanks everyone, I love each and every advice, as that provides me some reality check ... at the end of the day, I dont want to throw money down the drain. b/w: I dont mind extra taxes, since that does help increase selling price of home.

Sherrifftruman: I also think the circular driveway is the best option. I drew others as possible options only. A swimming pool is a great option that increases the value of home, but I dont like the maintanance of a pool and not too much fan of swimming. If not the zig-zag driveway, I am thinking to build a sport court hockey rink in the winters and tennis court/basketball in the summers?

chetteveritt: I like kitchens, but we have 3 already (main floor, ground in-law quarter, outdoor - adjacent to back patio), problem is we are frozen for about 6 months a year and to upgrade even more our outdoor landscaping, i am thinking it has limited value. The lake access I am not as worried, since the lake overflows in heavy rains (and the neighbors get to deal with that mess alone I am hesitant to spend more on landscaping, since the current one requires a fortune to maintain, however on the circular driveway (option 1 or 2), I dont understand what significant maintenance it would require. fyi: I was thinking to put a stamped concrete driveway with borders, and in the center of that 1/2 circle to lay down statues. I like the circular driveway idea, since during parties, the guests can get offloaded from their vehicles right in front of the front entrance, while they can park their vehicles on the curbside ... etc.

ocngypz: I like paver driveway, though I think stamped concrete these days are really nice looking. I hear you, and we might decide to leave it alone Attaching a frontal photo, as you see, the front entrance currently seems detached, and garage has all the focus. I think making the arched entrance as the center of the circular driveway and some elsyee palace like garden urn statues (in the middle of the driveway) might significantly change the view and add value?

mmyk72: Yes, option3 is silly. Though what do you think on the option1?

Old 06-13-2014, 03:40 PM

2,162 posts, read 5,717,614 times
Yeeah - From looking at your drawing of Option 1 and 2, it seems like you'll be adding to the existing driveway. Wouldn't that turn most of your front yard into a parking lot? Very Unappealing IMO if that's the case.

If the objective you're trying for is to emphasize the front entrance, how about leaving the driveway alone (it's big enough already). Instead, you can widen / reshape the path to that arch area (use pavers with an attractive color and pattern) and add new plantings & lights along that path that make the pathway stand out. Perhaps even extend that into a walkway to the other side of the house.

If you have money to burn, then perhaps consider taking up the existing asphalt driveway and pave it with the same material as the proposed walkway.

Last edited by mmyk72; 06-13-2014 at 03:54 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 06:17 PM

48,783 posts, read 47,069,638 times
You need to call the city codes department.

Ours has a say in driveway cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House