Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:21 AM

470 posts, read 1,278,471 times

Advertisements

I have about 3 feet between the wall and the unit. I was thinking about something removable and slotted so there is no chance about airflow restriction. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 07:31 AM

153 posts, read 540,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
I have about 3 feet between the wall and the unit. I was thinking about something removable and slotted so there is no chance about airflow restriction. Any suggestions?

Make them from fully sound proof material and place them up against the house structure so you're not impacting air flow. You may need to make side enclosures the same way just keep them at least 30 inches from the sides of the units.

The structure would be in the shape of a U with the open part facing away from the house.

Just realize that air conditioning sounds can be heard through vibration... so the level of quiet you accomplish may or may not give you what you expect.

Did the blankets decrease the sound any? Because you could just keep adding blankets.

If you are shooting for no sound at all: you're probably going to be disappointed.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:11 AM

I don't expect no sound at all but there is still significant sound. It decreased the sound I think about 20 percent. I was hoping for half. Sound proof material? where do I get it?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:28 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Do you have a video of this sound? You need to realize these things make noise, if you want whisper quiet you need to relocate them.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:52 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
You can build a small open air shelter over the units with a roof. The roof will buffer the sound going up towards your windows and shade the units making them more efficient.

I don't think you can ever get rid of that sound though, the way they are placed right under the windows like that.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:17 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
Quote:
I don't expect no sound at all but there is still significant sound. It decreased the sound I think about 20 percent. I was hoping for half. Sound proof material? where do I get it?
You can buy it from Amazon, but I'd look around. At least by checking out amazon you know what to look for and can read the reviews.

Amazon.com: soundproofing

Also, In your search bar type in Thefind.com and then do a search for 'soundproofing material' That site will show you all the stores in your area that sell soundproofing material

They're expensive so I actually used 'anti fatigue mats'. They're 1/2 inch thick rubbery, waterproof and you put them together like a puzzle. I just taped the backs together so they didn't fall down on the fence I put them on. They work at keeping the filter noise out of my neighbors yard, but I don't know if real soundproofing mats would work better.

I bought the anti fatigue mats here.
Anti-Fatigue Interlocking Cushioned Floor Mats, 4-Pack | Christmas Tree Shops andThat!

13 bucks for a 4ft area. HD carries them too but they're more money. I use the mats under our filter and covered the 3 sections of fence area surrounding the filter.

I'm no expert obviously so lets see what those more knowledgeable have to say.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:42 PM

what kind of fence did you use? picture might help? HD has fence sections I could check out but would like to even have a half roof to deflect sound as well

Old 07-03-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
You can build a small open air shelter over the units with a roof. The roof will buffer the sound going up towards your windows and shade the units making them more efficient.

I don't think you can ever get rid of that sound though, the way they are placed right under the windows like that.
you do not want to put a roof over them... they are meant to be outdoors in the open.

If the heat builds up in a condensing unit, it will lead to premature death of the compressor.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Being that your compressors are small buy 4 more blankets and just keep wrapping them. This will be the cheapest, easiest option.

If they are still noisy after that any additional sound proofing can be done with just about any solid material. To keep the house looking aesthetically good looking, best to keep wrapping the compressors in blankets until this method is fully exhausted.

Additionally you could try wrapping them with this
Gretchken: Supplier of acoustic foam, acoustical soundproofing materials, Custom Acoustical Panel, noise foam, sound foam, melamine foam, vinyl barriers, baffles, bass traps, fabric wrapped panels, isolation enclosures, and more

Then wrap another compressor blanket over that.

Typically manufacturer's use a lead blanket in their upper end models but from what I can see I can't find nothing like this... BUT even with those you can typically still hear them run from one degree to another. Definition of quiet varies is all I can say. It's quiet, but not noise less. If you can understand that? LOL.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:25 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech443 View Post
you do not want to put a roof over them... they are meant to be outdoors in the open.

If the heat builds up in a condensing unit, it will lead to premature death of the compressor.
Note I said "open air." My neighbors have a roof structure over theirs. They are built wide open with the roof set well-up from the top of the units to allow for air flow and provide shade on the units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House