Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 12:48 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,707,635 times

Advertisements

Perhaps all the desk lamps I have had had a caution warning to the effect that, to avoid fire, please use only max 25 (or 40) watt. I can understand it if it has a vulnerable shade material, but even with metal shade it has such warning. What makes it more dangerous with, say, 60w or 75w than a ceiling light?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 01:01 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
These are now being made cheap. 18 gauge zip cord used to be the standard, the cords on these have considerably thinner conductors. Sockets and switches are similarly being made of less massive material.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:12 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
What makes it more dangerous with, say, 60w or 75w than a ceiling light?
Because the fixture isn't wired to handle increased wattage?

But go right ahead and test it out if you like. Have a fire extinguisher and the 911 operator handy.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:52 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Perhaps all the desk lamps I have had had a caution warning to the effect that, to avoid fire, please use only max 25 (or 40) watt. I can understand it if it has a vulnerable shade material, but even with metal shade it has such warning. What makes it more dangerous with, say, 60w or 75w than a ceiling light?
Keep in mind that these numbers are for incandescent light bulbs and not CFLs or LEDs.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:23 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,707,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
18 gauge zip cord used to be the standard, the cords on these have considerably thinner conductors. Sockets and switches are similarly being made of less massive material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Because the fixture isn't wired to handle increased wattage?
Ok I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Keep in mind that these numbers are for incandescent light bulbs and not CFLs or LEDs.
Yes I am aware of that. For CFL max is like 13w.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:26 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Quote:
Ok I see.

Yes I am aware of that. For CFL max is like 13w.
Is it? I have had a hard time getting a direct answer if a fixture labeled for a 60 watt bulb is limited to a CFL that puts out the EQUIVILANT of 60 watt or if it means an actual power usage of 60 watt (Which would allow a larger CFL bulb) And I have not seen a fixture labeled for a max of a 13w CFL (But I am mainly dealing with fixtures that came out before CFLs)

Old 06-13-2014, 11:07 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default more watts = more heat = more heat = more risk

Try and track down one of those multi-hundred watt halogen portable lamps? Know why they are all gone? Curtains, linens, pile of clothes too close and WHOOOSH -- FIRE! CPSC and Industry Announce Corrective Action to Improve Safety of Halogen Torchiere Floor Lamps | CPSC.gov

Why are there are still 100w+ chandliers? Not much chance of something being close enough to burn...

Old 06-14-2014, 01:47 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Ceiling lights usually have a layer of insulating material on the top surface between the ceiling and the light assembly. Most times the insulating material is made of fiberglass. Also, ceiling lights usually have a warning notice relating to the maximum light wattage.

Incandescent or halogen light bulbs produce a lot of heat, and the higher the wattage the more heat they produce. Halogen lights are notorious for producing high heat, and incandescent are next. Anyway, just keep in mind that regardless of light bulb or tube used, the lowest the wattage the lower the heat dissipated.

Just choose light bulbs, or tubes, or spiral (whatever) that produce the amount of light you want, but that are of the lowest wattage possible. LED lights seem to produce less heat than CFLs of the same wattage, and in general CFLs and LED lights produce the same light output of incandescent and halogen lights, but use little power. That's why they run cooler.

Summary: high watt = high heat. Low watt = low heat

Old 06-14-2014, 01:49 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,921,245 times
Two issues here- (1) current-carrying capacity of the conductors and (2) heat.

Both are reduced for any resonable CFL bulb compared to incandescent.

I would not hesitate to use a CFL rated less than the maximum power draw (not equivalent light output!). Provided, of course, that it fits well mechanically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House