Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
OK.... I finally got some Spray-N-Wash
i kept forgetting it while at the store,,, so today while i was running errands, i made a specific trip to Target to get some..

FANTASTIC stuff!! whooda thunk it ... to use laundry spot cleaners for carpet stains.
my kids room ... heck knows what's been spilled on the carpeting the past 6 yrs ... must of it looked like coffee dribbles and some crusted on food.... all came up with minimal scrubbing.

I even got this stain out of my LR that i've tried every cleaner in the house on.... came up with no troubles at all.

I will always stock SNW now.

thanks to who ever mentioned it [i wasn't going to go back thru all the pages to find it]
LOL!!!! So glad it worked for you! I mentioned it . . . but only b/c a dear friend taught me about it several years ago. I can't believe how good the stuff is and such a nice light fragrance . . . Wish I had some money to buy some stock in whatever company makes SnW!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 04:44 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,734,834 times
Loved reading through this forum thread. I will be trying out the SNW. That was new to me.

My G'ma washed her windows with cornstarch. 1/4 C to 1 gal warm water. Newspaper was her wipe of choice. Windows in the sun will streak - wait until they are shaded.

My Toby is a face wiper (to recall posts from last month), we checked his mouth and he gets pieces of food stuck between his cheek & his teeth. I clean this area after he eats now and he has stopped rubbing his face on the carpet.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:30 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
i used SNW on the "high traffic area" where we come out of our mud room into the main hallway of the house.... and I could not believe the dirt that came up. I just sprayed, let it sit a bit, then wiped it with a clean micorfiber towel.... it was FILTHY !!

I still need to steam clean the carpet... but i'm sure it will be a whole heck of a lot cleaner when i'm done.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
i used SNW on the "high traffic area" where we come out of our mud room into the main hallway of the house.... and I could not believe the dirt that came up. I just sprayed, let it sit a bit, then wiped it with a clean micorfiber towel.... it was FILTHY !!

I still need to steam clean the carpet... but i'm sure it will be a whole heck of a lot cleaner when i'm done.
Yes . . . I do regular spot cleaning on my carpet w/ SnW and it is truly the best thing I have used - and I tried them all!!! It does not leave a film that attracts dirt later, as so many of the actual carpet cleaners do.

I have to admit . . . I am terrible about carrying coffee cups all over the house and so is DH. So we sometimes "slosh" coffee when walking up stairs. I don't know what I would do w/o my SnW . . . cause now I just grab the spray bottle, spray some on, let it sit on the coffee stain for a few moments, then rub it and - amazingly! - it comes up - end of that problem!

Old 01-19-2008, 09:11 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
I was at my girlfriends yesterday and she has VERY light, almost lemon yellow/cream carpeting in the formal LR. and i noticed the HUGE footprints in there... i asked who walk thru there leaving behind HUGE footprints.... "the window washers" and she didnt notice until after they left.

SO, i told her about SnW. Hopefully she will give it a try, as other than those huge footprints, the carpet is in great condition. [she does not have a carpet cleaner .... i should loan her mine]

I did my high traffic hallway, LR, FM and my son's room [the one i could actaully get into due to no clutter] and i was very surprised at how clean they got.

I first treated with SnW, then my cleaning solution i use "Simple Green" [though i can't recall the strength] and in the "rinse water" i added a lil bit of vinegar. WOW they came out nice and clean.... especially the high traffic area.

I was doing a search once on carpet cleaning, where i read about adding vinegar to the water solution. and that stuff they sell as "carpet cleaning solution" [junk]

Actually... i'm just waiting for the day when my kids move out and i can recarpet half the house.

I also hear ya on the coffee thing walking up stairs.... we have those heavy plastic runners going up our stairs... i have to wipe them down monthly.... between us [me, DH and 2 kids] and the dog ... they do get quite dirty.... they would just be nasty if we didn't have that runner.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I was at my girlfriends yesterday and she has VERY light, almost lemon yellow/cream carpeting in the formal LR. and i noticed the HUGE footprints in there... i asked who walk thru there leaving behind HUGE footprints.... "the window washers" and she didnt notice until after they left.

SO, i told her about SnW. Hopefully she will give it a try, as other than those huge footprints, the carpet is in great condition. [she does not have a carpet cleaner .... i should loan her mine]

I did my high traffic hallway, LR, FM and my son's room [the one i could actaully get into due to no clutter] and i was very surprised at how clean they got.

I first treated with SnW, then my cleaning solution i use "Simple Green" [though i can't recall the strength] and in the "rinse water" i added a lil bit of vinegar. WOW they came out nice and clean.... especially the high traffic area.

I was doing a search once on carpet cleaning, where i read about adding vinegar to the water solution. and that stuff they sell as "carpet cleaning solution" [junk]

Actually... i'm just waiting for the day when my kids move out and i can recarpet half the house.

I also hear ya on the coffee thing walking up stairs.... we have those heavy plastic runners going up our stairs... i have to wipe them down monthly.... between us [me, DH and 2 kids] and the dog ... they do get quite dirty.... they would just be nasty if we didn't have that runner.
I had not thought about Simple Green for carpet cleaning. I will have to try that. Yes, so much of the stuff that is on the market for carpet cleaning leaves a residue. I like the vinegar and water rinse myself.

We had a runner we used during the winters in Kansas, but since moving here, we got a doggie and she slides on the runner - can't get up the stairs and too dangerous for her to go down. My main problem w/ her is all the dog hair that gets caught in the carpet on the stairs. I wish I didn't have carpet on my stairs - I am thinking about taking it off and finishing those stairs and just doing a carpet runner down them.

Here is my question for the day: Why do I have so much dust in this house? What am I doing wrong? What will help keep dust down? Should i use a humidifier?

Any and all suggestions - very appreciated!!!!

Old 01-20-2008, 08:15 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Some places are a lot dustier than others. If you are out in the countryside, it is dustier. Get wind? It will be dustier. My constant remodeling makes it dusty. Pet dander contributes to dust.

I had simple green stain too many things with the green dye they put in it so I quit using it. I wouldn't use it on light carpet. Really, the green dye is just a gimmick and I don't need to be putting green dye on everything.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Some places are a lot dustier than others. If you are out in the countryside, it is dustier. Get wind? It will be dustier. My constant remodeling makes it dusty. Pet dander contributes to dust.

I had simple green stain too many things with the green dye they put in it so I quit using it. I wouldn't use it on light carpet. Really, the green dye is just a gimmick and I don't need to be putting green dye on everything.
I had wondered about pet dander as our dog sheds so much - she has extremely thick coat, double layered coat. Plus I just think we have more dust in the rooms where she stays the most. So I wondered about that.

Does anyone have opinions on humidifiers and it that would help? My bedroom is the worst place in the house. Just amazes me how much dustier it is than the rest of the house. ???? Dog stays in there the most, too. Also, the carpet needs replacing in that room (old) and I am thinking the old carpet may be part of the problem.

I had not thought about dye in Simple Green. Wonder why they do that. SIGH. Looks like Simple Green isn't as simple as they say, Hee Hee.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:44 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Old carpet is by definition dirty and a huge source of dust. If you ever pull it up, you will be horrified at the amount of dirt in it and under it. New carpet has VOCs to make the air unhealthy. Not a fan of carpet here.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Old carpet is by definition dirty and a huge source of dust. If you ever pull it up, you will be horrified at the amount of dirt in it and under it. New carpet has VOCs to make the air unhealthy. Not a fan of carpet here.
Me, either. Would prefer hardwoods and tile all over the house. Have hardwood downstairs. Just can't come up w/ the price point I need to do the upstairs. I laid down the "real stuff" downstairs - and it was long, laborious process (had it done professionally). Bad backs keep us from a DIY process on pre-engineered floating floors upstairs. That is what I prefer - all hardwoods (tile in baths). All my friends and even my sisters have all gone to hardwood floors. Much more sanitary, and easier to clean . . . carpet is nasty but it is cheaper to put down.

I have central vac and it really sucks up the dirt - and all you have to do is look at my cannister to see how nasty carpet is - ick. All that gunk. Unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House