Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 06:29 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,325,635 times

Advertisements

Cheap Vodka in a spary bottle works better than Febreeze. I learned that when I got stuck volunteering for a theater company who would spary all their costumes' armpits with Vodka after the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 07:14 AM

621 posts, read 3,205,788 times
For cleaning the dishwasher you can also use a packet of Kool Aid Lemonade and run it through. It supposed to get all the streaks and "dirt" out of there. I think it has to do with the asorbic acid (sp?) again

Old 03-06-2008, 09:54 AM

5,335 posts, read 4,424,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Here is my question for the day: Why do I have so much dust in this house? What am I doing wrong? What will help keep dust down? Should i use a humidifier?

Any and all suggestions - very appreciated!!!!
One of the first things that I would suggest is that you get ahold of a HVAC company and get some estimates for having your duct work cleaned. I have lived in different areas of the country and always have this done when I move into a house. I have paid anywhere from $75.00 to $200.00. I have allergies and asthma and this was suggested to me many years ago. It greatly cuts back on the amount of dust that you have flying around your house. You wouldn't believe all the gradu taht is in the heating ducts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Scum - algae - or whatever that green nasty stuff is that accumulates on my deck . . . Deck is on N side of house and it is totally shady there all winter. Despite the cold weather (not bitterly cold - I am in NC) - every Spring I find this nasty green mess on my deck boards. I looked out today and there it is.

It is a small deck. So my solution has been to take regular clorox bleach and throw some on it, let it sit, and then use a broom to sweep it off. DH says this is why my rhododendrons near the deck died.

Hmmmm. Maybe it is. So what is one to do - other than power wash it (wh/ would be hassle - small deck, filled w/ furniture, and elevated high - 13 steps to ground level. Moving that furniture would be a big hassle indeed.

So what do others do to clean that mess off? I thought if I diluted it enuff, it would not harm my plants but truly, stuff did die - whether this caused it or not, I have no clue.
Having lived in Wilminton, NC, hot, humid and loblolly pines, we learned to clean our decks with TSP. This stuff was mentioned in an earlier post. When we bought the house the slime was so bad you could write in it! You will have to get the furniture off the deck and power wash but we only had to do it every 3-4 years! You need to follow the instructions on the box. Can't remember it right off but it's a mixture of TSP, bleach and water. After the deck drys (a few days) seal it with Thompsons. The cheaper stuff is cheaper for a reason.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 AM

5,335 posts, read 4,424,945 times
Default Jubilee

Does anyone remember this product? It's no longer available in stores but you can order it direct.

SC Johnson Family of Brands - Hard-to-Find Products

It is some of the most amazing stuff! I use it on just about everything. SS, countertops, showers, tiles, wood, windows, mirrors etc. I just ordered a case of it! I know that it will last forever but, that's how much I love it and I'm afraid that there will come a day that they no longer make it.

Hope I didn't violate the TOS with the link but I figured that this was the same as mentioning Simple Green, Spray and Wash, Kool aid, tang etc. That stuff is easy to find and Jubilee isn't.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:11 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Cheap Vodka in a spary bottle works better than Febreeze. I learned that when I got stuck volunteering for a theater company who would spary all their costumes' armpits with Vodka after the show.
NO! LOL! Who knew! Cheap vodka! Well, I am amazed. This is a first for me! I love this thread . . . I have learned more stuff . . .

Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Does anyone remember this product? It's no longer available in stores but you can order it direct.

SC Johnson Family of Brands - Hard-to-Find Products

It is some of the most amazing stuff! I use it on just about everything. SS, countertops, showers, tiles, wood, windows, mirrors etc. I just ordered a case of it! I know that it will last forever but, that's how much I love it and I'm afraid that there will come a day that they no longer make it.

Hope I didn't violate the TOS with the link but I figured that this was the same as mentioning Simple Green, Spray and Wash, Kool aid, tang etc. That stuff is easy to find and Jubilee isn't.
OMGosh - I had a neighbor who loved this stuff. I had forgotten about it! Great link . . . I am going to order some. I bet that would work on stainess steel. I use lemon oil on my stainless, but I am always open to trying something different. Plus if I remember correctly . . . my neighbor used this on her windowsills, even . . . swore it kept dust from collecting on surfaces (like blinds).

Thank you so much for sharing your "secret." Maybe if enough of us order it, they will keep making it!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
[color="RoyalBlue"]Having lived in Wilminton, NC, hot, humid and loblolly pines, we learned to clean our decks with TSP. This stuff was mentioned in an earlier post. When we bought the house the slime was so bad you could write in it! You will have to get the furniture off the deck and power wash but we only had to do it every 3-4 years! You need to follow the instructions on the box. Can't remember it right off but it's a mixture of TSP, bleach and water. After the deck drys (a few days) seal it with Thompsons. The cheaper stuff is cheaper for a reason.

Hope this helps!
I have had my ducts cleaned out, but that is a good suggestion for anyone who has not done it!

I will go look for the TSP stuff - the deck is looking very nasty as it has been raining some (finally). If this works in Wilmington . . . it should do very well here (I am in Charlotte). Thank you so much for the info.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:50 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
For cleaning the dishwasher you can also use a packet of Kool Aid Lemonade and run it through. It supposed to get all the streaks and "dirt" out of there. I think it has to do with the asorbic acid (sp?) again
It's not the ascorbic acid in it. It's the citric acid that does the cleaning, de-scuming and even removes rust stains. I just ordered 10 pounds of citric acid crystals from a bulkfoods internet company at much less $$ than I can get it locally because I get rust stains from my water all the time. This way it is much cheaper than Iron Out (sulfuric acid) and less nasty to me. It is actually edible too.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:29 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Is there any product you can spray on glass shower doors that prevents water spotting? I hate squeegeeing the glass after every shower! If they make something you can spray on your car at the carwash that prevents spots, why not for the shower?

Old 03-11-2008, 05:17 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,153 times
This is one of the most interesting threads I've read! Great info and I'll have to re-read some of the answers as there are so many great tips.

I was on another C-D forum and someone recommended Simple Green for getting mold/mildew out of shower grout. So I went to the SG website and read all about their products. #1 They are environmentally safe which is important info to know. But more importantly, it looks like their products actually work. I read many, many testamonials about their products. I'm about to move and have cleaned my fingers to the bone (without knowing all these tips!) so, my current place is good to go...but wish I had known about all this stuff before. I don't want to purchase more products now (since it just means more packing) but will stock my new home with Simple Green and some of the products mentioned in this thread.

I also wanted to share about a really neat broom/scrubber/squeegee/carpet rake - all-in-one. Google "Dutch Rubber Broom" and you will see a couple of sites to buy them. One of my girlfriends and I were recently at a home show and saw a demo....we both purchased this product and I've already used it...MUCH better than regular brooms and so many more uses! BTW, carpet rakes are great for touch ups between vacumning and keeps the pile of the carpet nice and fluffy. Oh, one more thing - you can put the rubber head of the Dutch rubber broom in sudsy water or the dishwasher to clean and keep fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House