Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 10:35 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,333,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
No problem. Sorry about your back. I got a bum knee so I feel for you. Im laughing cause Im a cleaner part time. Im good . I have a waiting list. LOL.

By trial and error Ive learned the "easy" way to do stuff. For one thing we make things harder by over doing. If you keep up with stuff you dont need to douse every thing with a jug of cleaner. Like I said this is just the way I do things. Im trying to think of stuff to make things easier for you. Been doing it for a while now so mostly its second nature now. Other peeps may have better ways tho. I do lot of stuff cause I got a bum knee and its hard for me to get down,

You dust last? Doesnt that put dust on what youve already cleaned. I dust first. I start at the top and work down. I love my swiffer duster with the extending handle for the high stuff and chair legs and very light dusting. For regular dusting I like to use my microfiber clothes very slightly dampened. But if its heavy I dry dust first. .

Oh and Ive down the hands and knees route too. Knee surgury will cure you of that little number. LOL. Ive become very adept at using my feet. I clean bare foot. Depending on the floor I use my foot to get my scrubbie sponge or Mr Clean or mirofiber cloth up next to the baseboard or in the corner or behind the toilet etc. I do this for shower floors and tub bottoms too. Another thing is I use a long handled kitchen brush to do the toilet and around the base etc. I also like those dish wand things for tubs floors etc.. The ones with detachable scrubbie sponge and a hollow handle. Thse two things will give you a litte more reach so you dont have to bend so much. And of course we all use old toothbrushes for around faucets and cracks and crevises.

If you do the mop thing make sure you just use plain water only and not too wet. I like th microfiber mops with the red handle from Walmart best. Theyre the easiest to wring. I dont like the ones you have to wrassle into submission. Truthfully I think the mop/broom thing does a better job than using a crevase tool.

Ill probably think of more later. Like I said I just do it I dont think now. Also since Ive cleaned my peeps houses to within an inch of their lives most of my cleaning is maintenance now, Altho occasionally I do a onetimer as a favor and have to get out my heavy duty stuff and whip it into submission.
Quote:
My most favorite cleaning thing is micro fiber cloths. Those things are worth their weight in gold.

I dont know if these are hints. More like things I do. I always dust first. Even baths. Sometimes youll find that all you need to do is spot clean. But if you add water, water and dirt make mud . Ive found that the more cleaner you use and the wetter you get stuff the more time you have to spend rinsing and polishing Truthfully I do a ton of cleaning with just windex and a dry terry wash cloth. works great on mirrors .

I keep a paint scraper handy and use it for tons of stuff. Like toothpaste on the mirror or crud on ceramic tile.

After I take a shower. I take my towel and wipe down the tile etc. Everything shines. Id rather wash towels than clean.

Before I run the sweeper. I get a bucket of plain water and a microfiber mop. I use the mop to mop the edges of my carpet and the baseboards and under the sofa and the bed etc. Then I run the sweeper. You'd be surprised how dirty the water gets. Other times I just use a soft broom. This keeps the carpet clean a lot longer

I do the oil for stainless and shower doors too. Good for fiberglass shower walls too. Truthfully any oil will work. Ive even used baby oil. I really like the pledge wth orange oil that comes in a spray bottle.

After I clean the counters I wipe them down with pledge too and buff them. I also put a thin film on the cupboards. It makes them shine and the thin film keeps crud from sticking.

Oh I do have a hint. Cascade dishwasher stuff will take that smeary film off your laminate floors. Rinse good then clean as usual. BTW I hate laminate floors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Back several months ago, one of our posters on this thread mentioned using the broom to sweep around the edges of the carpet, where stuff collects, then vacuuming. I have been doing this - even on my stairs - and yes, it really does help!!! And you pointed out one of the reasons it helps - keeps hair (and for me - dog fur on the steps) from wrapping around the beater bar.

I never realized how much dog fur ends up in the corners (and I can't see it on the carpet) until I started using that broom along the edges of the carpet. And it does not matter if I vac 2 x a week - I always collect stuff, especially on the carpeted stairs.
Hey MS Anifani that be me. Been reading but I havent posted cause I dont have nuthin to share.

I do my broom and mop thing at all my houses. Keeps the carpet looking like its just been shampooed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 10:50 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,039,926 times
Um, you actually mop the carpet? Did I read that correctly?

Old 06-07-2008, 10:55 PM

The smeary stuff on laminate could very well be from hard water. You have to use filtered/distilled water on laminate. I would NOT use Cascade on laminate! I am not sure of the pH balance of Cascade but all you need is distilled water and a microfiber mop (not a sponge mop or wring mop...they leave behind too much moisture!)

Many people are not aware that plain tap water is the culprit for streaks and smears.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:01 PM

Quick rule of thumb:

Clean from top to bottom, left to right, back to front. This means start in the uppermost level of the house in the furthest most room from the stairway. In that room you enter and go from left to right, moving from top to bottom. Once you clear a room, you move to the next room and make your way to the stairs. Repeat process downstairs.

Dust first, clean shiny surfaces next, then floors. Mop or vacuum your way out the door and shut the door.

I am very big about NOT cross contaminating areas that have already been cleaned. I use a new rag on EACH new surface. Microfiber IS the best.

Don't criss-cross and retrace your steps. And whatever you do...change out your rag and mophead frequently!

Old 06-07-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly757 View Post
Um, you actually mop the carpet? Did I read that correctly?
Yep. But not the whole carpet Just the edges and under stuff. But I suppose you could. I dont have time tho. Im on a schedule.

I only use a damp mop tho. One of those ones with the microfiber strips that wrings itself. And only with plain water. I alternate, Sometimes broom sometimes mop. No matter how clean the carpet looks the water is always dirty when I mop.

Now if it was a first time house Id do the broom AND the mop but all of my houses have been cleaned to within a inch of their lives so I can slide a little. .

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 06-08-2008 at 12:21 AM..

Old 06-08-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly757 View Post
The smeary stuff on laminate could very well be from hard water. You have to use filtered/distilled water on laminate. I would NOT use Cascade on laminate! I am not sure of the pH balance of Cascade but all you need is distilled water and a microfiber mop (not a sponge mop or wring mop...they leave behind too much moisture!)

Many people are not aware that plain tap water is the culprit for streaks and smears.
Hey all I know is Cascade works for me. Others might work too but Ive only used Cascade cause thats what my peeps keep under the sink. But I wouldnt expect people to do stuff just because I do. I like reading the hints but I always test them first.

I had a couple of houses that had a nasty smeary film on their laminate. No matter what I mopped with including distilled water it would still be there. I even tried using two mcro fiber mops. One damp and one to dry. Oh it would look fine until you walked on it. One floor I mopped six times with a new microfiber pad each time cause my client asked me to PLEASE get the film off cause it drove her crazy..

Finally out of desperation I tried Cascade. Hey streak free shine. And it WORKED. Took the film right off. Then I rinsed it a couple times with plain water and VOILA shiney floor. Now Im not saying to do this everytime. Ive been using plain water ever since and its staying shiney. But once sure worked for me. And I got a $20 bonus that week.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:54 PM

16 posts, read 162,164 times
Default Zani Clean

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum and am not sure if anyone has brought up the product called "Zani Clean."

I run a cleaning biz and have tried just about every product out there, and none compare to the quality (and ease!) of using this stuff! Not only does this "Zani Clean" paste make stainless steel sinks look like new, but it also works on many other surfaces and removing stains that other products wont.

It comes in a small bucket-like container and is rather hard to find -at least out here on my island. The only store that sells it locally is "Longs." (not sure if this is just a Hawaii chain store, of if you have "Longs" stores out there on the mainland?)

Anyway, for stainless steel sinks: Just gently rub the "Zani Clean" paste onto the shiny parts of the stainless steel with the soft side of a damp kitchen sponge... and on the non-shiny parts of the sink, use the rough side of the sponge. Then, simply rinse off the zani clean and dry with a cloth. It's amazing!

One other tip: I'm sure the "Magic Eraser" must have come up already in this forum, but i'll share what i will most commonly use it for (another great trick that i rarely share or i'd be out of business ). The "Magic Eraser" is fantastic for cleaning stained fridge door handles & oven door handles. No other product can get rid of those stains, but the "Magic Eraser" takes it right off with just a little scrubbing. (Warning: the eraser will crumble to bits when using it for this purpose, so don't expect many more uses of the sponge after trying this).

I also will sometimes use the "Magic Eraser" in place of "Zani Clean" for buffing up stainless steel sinks when i feel too lazy to go that extra mile.

(I sure wish i knew what the "magic" ingredient is in that sponge.... does anyone know?)

This is a great forum! I'm glad my sister turned me onto this!

Aloha!

Old 06-09-2008, 04:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Quote:
Hey MS Anifani that be me. Been reading but I havent posted cause I dont have nuthin to share.

I do my broom and mop thing at all my houses. Keeps the carpet looking like its just been shampooed.
Hey Ms Cecilia Rose!!! I should have remembered you gave us that great tip!!! You changed my cleaning habits . . .

Old 06-09-2008, 04:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiFinn View Post
Hi there!

I'm new to this forum and am not sure if anyone has brought up the product called "Zani Clean."

I run a cleaning biz and have tried just about every product out there, and none compare to the quality (and ease!) of using this stuff! Not only does this "Zani Clean" paste make stainless steel sinks look like new, but it also works on many other surfaces and removing stains that other products wont.

It comes in a small bucket-like container and is rather hard to find -at least out here on my island. The only store that sells it locally is "Longs." (not sure if this is just a Hawaii chain store, of if you have "Longs" stores out there on the mainland?)

Anyway, for stainless steel sinks: Just gently rub the "Zani Clean" paste onto the shiny parts of the stainless steel with the soft side of a damp kitchen sponge... and on the non-shiny parts of the sink, use the rough side of the sponge. Then, simply rinse off the zani clean and dry with a cloth. It's amazing!

One other tip: I'm sure the "Magic Eraser" must have come up already in this forum, but i'll share what i will most commonly use it for (another great trick that i rarely share or i'd be out of business ). The "Magic Eraser" is fantastic for cleaning stained fridge door handles & oven door handles. No other product can get rid of those stains, but the "Magic Eraser" takes it right off with just a little scrubbing. (Warning: the eraser will crumble to bits when using it for this purpose, so don't expect many more uses of the sponge after trying this).

I also will sometimes use the "Magic Eraser" in place of "Zani Clean" for buffing up stainless steel sinks when i feel too lazy to go that extra mile.

(I sure wish i knew what the "magic" ingredient is in that sponge.... does anyone know?)

This is a great forum! I'm glad my sister turned me onto this!

Aloha!
Hey there, KF!!!

Okay - on the Zani Clean - is it like SoftScrub? Can you use it for stuff other than the sink?

PS - glad you found us, too!!! This is a great place to learn - and share!!!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:35 PM

No offense to Cecelia as I say this with respect to her based my knowledge of carpet care.

I hesitate to recommend mopping carpets. It pushes dirt further into the carpet fiber and actually damages the carpet. Years ago women would do a surface mop of carpets but it's not recommended by modern-day carpet professionals. Unless you are doing a deep extraction, adding moisture to carpets is never good. The agitation of the mop is pushing the dirt down and not lifting it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House