Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 07:03 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times

Advertisements

Well, all I know is . . . my carpet in my bedroom is nasty and needs replacing. I don't keep carpet around but about 7 years max as it is just a dirt catcher. I prefer hard surfaces b/c of allergies. However, my bedroom carpet has reached its maximum life and I do all sorts of things in there to clean it, LOL. I also have a central vac and no one would believe the dirt it gets out of that carpet (dog hair is a lot of it). We don't even wear our shoes in the house. I think a lot of what I see is deteroriated carpet backing and pad. So I will be replacing that carpet this year (just can't decide if I want hardwood floors put down, wh/ will cost me more, but I will like much better).

My experience has been that after I vac, if I use a mop around the edges to get up dust off the baseboards (or I get down and use a rag to clean those area) I still get a lot of dirt (even using a crevice device w/ the vac) I have tried doing the damp microfibre mop b/f I vac and after and either way, I get dirt. Doesn't matter if I have just had the carpet cleaned - I still get dirt. Carpet is nasty and that is that, but most of us have it - at least in some areas.

I also have a small wet vac that I use to clean up spots and it also grosses me out how nasty the water is, even on carpet that has been recently cleaned. The stuff is just nasty no matter how you handle it. We all like to think we are cleaning it and keeping it nice, but . . . carpet is a dirt and dust collector. We just live w/ it and do the best we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 09:45 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,039,926 times
I just had our carpets cleaned. What a difference!

The builder put in white carpet...who the heck puts in white carpet nowadays??? I want to get hardwood floors as soon as this carpet is done.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:07 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,268,113 times
I ripped the old carpet out of my bedroom 3 years ago and just used floor paint over the subfloor until I get ready to put down h/w floors. No carpet for me. The allergies are better. I agree - carpet is a dirt and allergen magnet. Nothing but nothing gets it really clean. There's always piles of dirt on the subfloor whenever I pull the carpet up.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:18 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,462,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Another thing Pam will do. Spray it on the aluminum wheels on your car to protect them from salt in the winter and make brake dust easier to remove all year long.
Murphy's Oil Soap...I swear by it! Truckers use it too...keeps the rigs nice and clean and birdie poo poo will not harm your paint job!

Old 06-10-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I ripped the old carpet out of my bedroom 3 years ago and just used floor paint over the subfloor until I get ready to put down h/w floors. No carpet for me. The allergies are better. I agree - carpet is a dirt and allergen magnet. Nothing but nothing gets it really clean. There's always piles of dirt on the subfloor whenever I pull the carpet up.
OMGosh, Tesa - isn't it unbelievable what is down on the subflooring when you rip all that carpet and padding out??? Nasty!!!! I really really want hardwood in my bedroom! I don't care what people say about wanting carpet and not wanting to walk on hardwood - you can always get an area rug, LOL. I grew up on hardwood floors and have always loved them b/c I know they are clean.

Ick - just thinking about this . . . maybe I should go ahead and price out getting hardwoods. Just so expensive. But how nice it would be . . .

Old 06-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Murphy's Oil Soap...I swear by it! Truckers use it too...keeps the rigs nice and clean and birdie poo poo will not harm your paint job!
Now - where all do you use the oil soap??? On the tire rims and interior or what??? I don't want to mess up something.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:38 PM

201 posts, read 656,383 times
Red face petzyme sadly does not work on bleach

I have found several amazing things for cleaning:

First, for all you pet lovers (and even non pet lovers)- Petsmart sells this amazing product called petzyme- takes everything out of everything! My parents breed labradors and those little stinkers usually figure out how to escape and bring havoc to my mother's formal living room and dining room (go figure- they like the expensive stuff). But it also worked for an older dog they had prior- she would get nosebleeds quite often and it always took the blood out of everything- from stuffed animals to carpet. With the puppies, it takes out the SMELL of the place they went- going deep down into the padding- my mother swears by this product and I do too We found later it works on wine as well Plus...it has the same scent as "febreeze"- it's there, but just barely.

The second amazing product I have found is a product by Lysol- it's Lysol mildew remover- I discovered (by accident) that if you spray it on (make sure you have amazing ventilation- because this stuff reeks to high heaven) and leave it for a couple hours the grout in your shower is amazingly white- it got rid of the "aged" look of the grout and all I had to do was rinse the shower out after!

Also...for sharpie-marks (*grumbles* kids!) the magic eraser- and it doesn't harm the paint! When I was living in the dorms in Hawaii, some kid thought it would be a smart idea to write in sharpie on the walls on EVERY FLOOR- and they even went so far as to do it to the refrigerator. So not wanting to pay the $100 they were going to charge people until someone fessed up, I went and bought a four pack and myself and three other students from the honors floor cleaned all of it up- it went amazingly fast and came off every surface despite being on those walls for a month!

However...on a side note...I am finally moving out of my first apt (after a few years of living there) and one day while I was doing laundry- I spilled some bleach onto my cream colored carpet- any ideas on how I can make this obvious "clean" spot go away? I don't want to mix chemicals because it's in my bedroom and quite frankly, I have no ventilation in that room...

Old 06-11-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenplover View Post
I have found several amazing things for cleaning:

First, for all you pet lovers (and even non pet lovers)- Petsmart sells this amazing product called petzyme- takes everything out of everything! My parents breed labradors and those little stinkers usually figure out how to escape and bring havoc to my mother's formal living room and dining room (go figure- they like the expensive stuff). But it also worked for an older dog they had prior- she would get nosebleeds quite often and it always took the blood out of everything- from stuffed animals to carpet. With the puppies, it takes out the SMELL of the place they went- going deep down into the padding- my mother swears by this product and I do too We found later it works on wine as well Plus...it has the same scent as "febreeze"- it's there, but just barely.

The second amazing product I have found is a product by Lysol- it's Lysol mildew remover- I discovered (by accident) that if you spray it on (make sure you have amazing ventilation- because this stuff reeks to high heaven) and leave it for a couple hours the grout in your shower is amazingly white- it got rid of the "aged" look of the grout and all I had to do was rinse the shower out after!

Also...for sharpie-marks (*grumbles* kids!) the magic eraser- and it doesn't harm the paint! When I was living in the dorms in Hawaii, some kid thought it would be a smart idea to write in sharpie on the walls on EVERY FLOOR- and they even went so far as to do it to the refrigerator. So not wanting to pay the $100 they were going to charge people until someone fessed up, I went and bought a four pack and myself and three other students from the honors floor cleaned all of it up- it went amazingly fast and came off every surface despite being on those walls for a month!

However...on a side note...I am finally moving out of my first apt (after a few years of living there) and one day while I was doing laundry- I spilled some bleach onto my cream colored carpet- any ideas on how I can make this obvious "clean" spot go away? I don't want to mix chemicals because it's in my bedroom and quite frankly, I have no ventilation in that room...
Oh dear. Bleach takes the color out and . . . well . . . I have no clue other than getting a professional in to try to match colors. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion???? I am so sorry this happened.

I will have to find that Lysol product. I am always interested in keeping grout fresh looking!!!!!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:06 AM

201 posts, read 656,383 times
I was thinking paint? but...I don't think that I could match it exactly...*sigh* it's about half of a silver dollar- and about that same shape incredibly obvious... I might have to go get a small square of carpet...

and with that lysol product, I think I bought mine at walgreens- but beware! ventilation is a must!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:53 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,543,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenplover View Post
I was thinking paint? but...I don't think that I could match it exactly...*sigh* it's about half of a silver dollar- and about that same shape incredibly obvious... I might have to go get a small square of carpet...
I wouldn't do that!!! If you cut out a piece of carpet and replace it, that will be as noticeable as the stain. It might not even be that big of a deal when you move, as long as you've kept the place in good shape, no giant holes in the walls or anything. A little carpet stain shouldn't negate getting your deposit back. It might only be really noticeable to you, if it's a cream colored carpet, just because you know it's there it seems to stand out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House