Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 01:00 PM

16 posts, read 162,164 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to report to you all that i had a job yesterday at a place that has those sliding glass shower doors. I've never had luck getting soap scum off glass, and this place has had serious soap scum accumulating on the shower doors for years now. Then i remembered someone posting about using WD40 on it. I happened to have some WD40 in my car, so i thought i'd give it a try, and Holy Cow!!! It WORKED!! I just sprayed some on & brushed it around with a cleaning brush, and not only did it clean the soap scum off the glass, but all the metal parts as well! AMAZING!

Thank you SO much to whoever it was who posted that!

AlooooHa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 09:22 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Glad this thread was of help. As others mentioned - do be careful, tho, w/ fumes when using WD-40. Don't want anyone getting sick while cleaning . . .

Old 07-04-2008, 01:56 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,543,110 times
True. One of my favorite sayings of all time is 'Nobody ever died from housework, but why risk it?'

I don't know if this is worth mentioning, but recently I kind of discovered a new way to do a quick hand washing, while getting ready to wash a regular load. I took the shirt and held it under the running water as the machine was filling After it was wet-oh, when I start the water for the machine, I add my liquid detergent-I held the shirt down in the water and swished it around in there, then held it back under the running water to rinse it out. Then I wrung(?) it out and put it in the dryer when the rest of the load was done.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:00 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,333,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
My most favorite cleaning thing is micro fiber cloths. Those things are worth their weight in gold.

I dont know if these are hints. More like things I do. I always dust first. Even baths. Sometimes youll find that all you need to do is spot clean. But if you add water, water and dirt make mud . Ive found that the more cleaner you use and the wetter you get stuff the more time you have to spend rinsing and polishing Truthfully I do a ton of cleaning with just windex and a dry terry wash cloth. works great on mirrors .

I keep a paint scraper handy and use it for tons of stuff. Like toothpaste on the mirror or crud on ceramic tile.

After I take a shower. I take my towel and wipe down the tile etc. Everything shines. Id rather wash towels than clean.

Before I run the sweeper. I get a bucket of plain water and a microfiber mop. I use the mop to mop the edges of my carpet and the baseboards and under the sofa and the bed etc. Then I run the sweeper. You'd be surprised how dirty the water gets. Other times I just use a soft broom. This keeps the carpet clean a lot longer

I do the oil for stainless and shower doors too. Good for fiberglass shower walls too. Truthfully any oil will work. Ive even used baby oil. I really like the pledge wth orange oil that comes in a spray bottle.

After I clean the counters I wipe them down with pledge too and buff them. I also put a thin film on the cupboards. It makes them shine and the thin film keeps crud from sticking.

Oh I do have a hint. Cascade dishwasher stuff will take that smeary film off your laminate floors. Rinse good then clean as usual. BTW I hate laminate floors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiFinn View Post
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to report to you all that i had a job yesterday at a place that has those sliding glass shower doors. I've never had luck getting soap scum off glass, and this place has had serious soap scum accumulating on the shower doors for years now. Then i remembered someone posting about using WD40 on it. I happened to have some WD40 in my car, so i thought i'd give it a try, and Holy Cow!!! It WORKED!! I just sprayed some on & brushed it around with a cleaning brush, and not only did it clean the soap scum off the glass, but all the metal parts as well! AMAZING!

Thank you SO much to whoever it was who posted that!

AlooooHa!
Not sure about the Wd40 but I posted about using oil a looooong time ago. WD40 will work but its smelly and its expensive. I like Pledge with orange oil. You can use it for furniture too. I use this stuff for everything. And it smells good. Dont get the aerosol. The oil lasts a lot longer.

Orange Oil - Furniture Oils By Pledge ®

See if you can get your peeps to quit using bar soap and change to liquid soap. Thats where a lot of the scum comes from. Bar soap.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
True. One of my favorite sayings of all time is 'Nobody ever died from housework, but why risk it?'

I don't know if this is worth mentioning, but recently I kind of discovered a new way to do a quick hand washing, while getting ready to wash a regular load. I took the shirt and held it under the running water as the machine was filling After it was wet-oh, when I start the water for the machine, I add my liquid detergent-I held the shirt down in the water and swished it around in there, then held it back under the running water to rinse it out. Then I wrung(?) it out and put it in the dryer when the rest of the load was done.
Sounds like a good short-cut to me, Mystic!!! I do something very very similar. I also hold things under the water, especially to scrub out any stains/spots, but then I turn off the washer (once filled) and just let stuff sit (marinate, Hee Hee) for a while. If I am in the kitchen, I put it on delicate cycle as my delicate cycle holds stuff for about 7 mins - but if I am doing other stuff, I turn it off so I won't forget it (get distracted). Then I come back, take the item in question out and hand rinse (and let the rest of the wash go through a cycle as usual). I like soaking the stuff for a while to make sure all sweat is out . . . but your method means moving on quickly and mine means having to hang around the washing machine!!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 04:36 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,543,110 times
I'll do something similar to that if I have to wash thngs on a low agitation cycle-I'll turn it to high agitation for a couple minutes-but I do have to keep an eye on it!-then turn it back to slow. Just seems like you need to knock the dirt loose a bit, you know?

So, I got a package of micro-fiber cloths and now I'm dying to know what the best uses for these are. I've read great things about them on here!

Old 07-09-2008, 05:28 PM

1,685 posts, read 3,959,557 times
Default my $.02

Vinegar and baking soda are staples in my house, scrub the sink and tub with baking soda. clean drains with both and HOT water....put 1 cup of white vinegar in a quart storage bag, take a rubber band and stick the shower head in the vinegar, secure with the rubber band and leave for at least 4 hours. Cleans the lime/hard water deposits out of the shower, then rinse the vinegar down the drain.

I'm surprised no one ( I haven't gotten all the way through the thread) has mentioned Mrs. Meyers cleaning products. I love the all purpose cleaner and use it all over....even the floors, no rinsing and leaves a soft scent!!! I mix up and keep in a spray bottle in the kitchen and clean everything, stove, oven, cabinets, walls, floor, breakfast bar. carry into the bath and use it on the cabinet, sink, outside of the toilet, shower walls and tub, and floor. Love it!! haven't tried anything but the all purpose cleaner, but its natural product and comes in several scents.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:37 PM

1,685 posts, read 3,959,557 times
Default fabric softener

I use the liquid in my washer, but because of sensitive skin I always give each load a second rinse and that's when I add the fabric softener....lightly diluted. I use the dryer sheets in the bottoms of all my trash cans (lavendar scented) in my shoes, in my tote bags, suitcases anything that's stored. Storage tubs with "of season" clothes, christmas decorations. And in the linen closet.

I read somewhere not too longa ago about washing the lint trap and use my liquid soap spongy thing and hot water at the kitchen sink. WHen I was at my mom's a couple of weeks ago I washed hers, cuz I know its never been done and they use the dryer sheets. Unbelievable we've never heard of this until recently!!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:05 AM

278 posts, read 802,956 times
I know a lot of people keep old toothbrushes around for cleaning odd spots, but I have discovered that an old Crest Spinbrush (battery operated) works amazingly well! I keep a few around the house now, in the kitchen, bathrooms, and laundry room, as it helps to gently scrub stains out of clothing.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:12 PM

LITTLELOU: I have never thought of using the scented sheets for things like the linen closet. I have heard people mention using them when packing and storing things - great idea and thank you for sharing it!!!

CALLIE-D: What a great recycling hint! Love the idea for scrubbing stains out of clothing! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House