Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-23-2008, 12:22 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 2,039,006 times
Reputation: 680

Advertisements

Most hardware stores have a grout sealer that you just apply and let dry. It will make cleaning and maintenance MUCH easier! All grout should be sealed but sometimes after a period of time and the use of wrong cleaning techniques, it wears off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2008, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,068 posts, read 10,134,583 times
Reputation: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly757 View Post
Most hardware stores have a grout sealer that you just apply and let dry. It will make cleaning and maintenance MUCH easier! All grout should be sealed but sometimes after a period of time and the use of wrong cleaning techniques, it wears off.
It just recently occurred to me that since we have tile in several rooms, I could use this enzyme stuff to help clean the grout between those tiles, especially in the kitchen. I'll be ordering it, soon. Also, I have a slow drain in one of the bathroom lavatories. I'm going to try the enzyme full strength for awhile, there, to see if that can help break it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2008, 10:07 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Reputation: 22753
CLEANING OUT YOUR DRYER VENT: anyone tried those long brushes that clean out the venting in the dryer? Also, what do I need to do to clean out my vent to the outside from the dryer? Just run a brush in that, too? I think something may be clogging my vent up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2008, 10:31 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 2,039,006 times
Reputation: 680
Anafani,

I believe you can get a dryer vent cleaning kit at Wal-Mart that attaches to your vacuum. It snakes through your vent and gets deeper than any vacuum attachment.

Oh, and if I didn't mention it before (or no one else may have...) if you ever want to get lint out from UNDER your dryer, just take the cardboard tube from Christmas wrap and stick it on the end of your vacuum hose. It collapses flat enough to get under your dryer and suck those bunnies right up! It's great for any tight fitting areas (like the side of your fridge) and can bend around corners too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2008, 04:36 AM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 18,274,662 times
Reputation: 7740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Also, I have a slow drain in one of the bathroom lavatories. I'm going to try the enzyme full strength for awhile, there, to see if that can help break it up.

Try pouring Nair down the sink line...I saw this in the paper yesterday and it reminded me that my aunt has done this for years...if it's a deep hair clog, it's gone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2008, 02:37 PM
 
1,684 posts, read 3,956,565 times
Reputation: 2356
Thumbs up great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Try pouring Nair down the sink line...I saw this in the paper yesterday and it reminded me that my aunt has done this for years...if it's a deep hair clog, it's gone!


OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a great idea. I'm constantly battling a slow bathroom drain. And since the cats drink out of the sink, there's always cat hair in the sink.....I am going to try this soon.


thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2008, 07:27 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Reputation: 22753
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly757 View Post
Anafani,

I believe you can get a dryer vent cleaning kit at Wal-Mart that attaches to your vacuum. It snakes through your vent and gets deeper than any vacuum attachment.

Oh, and if I didn't mention it before (or no one else may have...) if you ever want to get lint out from UNDER your dryer, just take the cardboard tube from Christmas wrap and stick it on the end of your vacuum hose. It collapses flat enough to get under your dryer and suck those bunnies right up! It's great for any tight fitting areas (like the side of your fridge) and can bend around corners too.
WOW - what great ideas!!!!! And the wrapping paper tube - who knew???? This is an AWESOME suggestion!!!!

Thank you so much, Dragonfly! Now that idea gets the Recycling Hall of Fame Award. Just a terrific idea for a discarded item . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2008, 07:30 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Reputation: 22753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Try pouring Nair down the sink line...I saw this in the paper yesterday and it reminded me that my aunt has done this for years...if it's a deep hair clog, it's gone!
HA HA HA HA!!!!!! Okay - one of the most innovative "off label" uses of a product that I have ever heard of.

I thought my polident tablets for removal of stains on porcelain (and clogs in shower heads) was one of the best for a new use of a well-known product. But NAIR for hair clogs - this is amazing - and no, I would never have thought of this . . . and have never heard it b/f, either. But it sure makes total sense. We always find hair in the drains. I am truly blown away by this household tip!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2008, 07:57 AM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 18,274,662 times
Reputation: 7740
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly757 View Post
Anafani,

I believe you can get a dryer vent cleaning kit at Wal-Mart that attaches to your vacuum. It snakes through your vent and gets deeper than any vacuum attachment.

You can, and they are $20-25. ONLY for top vent dryers, though - if you have the screen in the front panel like mine the attachment is not narrow enough to fit through the slot and down into the bottom of the dryer...but I'm going to try the cardboard tube and see if that works! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2008, 11:31 AM
 
1,117 posts, read 2,039,006 times
Reputation: 680
Y'all are very welcome. I have done a lot of research on house cleaning, green cleaning, recycling and innovative ideas to make my job easier. I am really enjoying this helpful thread because I am learning new ideas too! I am glad to pass what I know along.

Happy house cleaning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top