Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 11:36 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,433 times

Advertisements

Okay ladies and gentleman...I just remembered a great idea for those front loader vent traps. It won't get ALL the way down, but definitely helps....

On your aluminum foil package is that serrated strip to tear your foil. Well, it's glued onto the box and easily removed. Take that off your foil box and snake it down your vent. It will "grab" all the large debris and fluff like you've never imagined! My mother thought of this and I thought it was ingenious. I owe her credit for that idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 10:40 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Need some advice: we have berber carpet in a second home we own. For some reason, I had heard that it can be a problem cleaning this type of carpet - that the looks can get caught in machines and that the carpet held water and the pad would get moldy/mildewed.

Can anyone advise on this? How should I clean this carpet. My son is living in the house while going to school and the carpet needs cleaning.

Thanx for all info!!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:12 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,433 times
Anafani, I talk with professionals each day about this issue. The only real way to get it cleaned is with a professional carpet cleaner with the right extraction equipment. It's true that the loops hold water if not done properly.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:43 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,486 times
any tips on clearing a showerhead from hard water build up? My master-bathroom shower head (pricey) has much lower pressure, I know it must be build up in there, would like to try something before discarding it and buying a new one. I do have community well water if that makes any difference. Maybe there is iron build up? Any household cleaning tips to clean up any internal hardwater build up? Thanks

Old 08-26-2008, 02:35 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
any tips on clearing a showerhead from hard water build up? My master-bathroom shower head (pricey) has much lower pressure, I know it must be build up in there, would like to try something before discarding it and buying a new one. I do have community well water if that makes any difference. Maybe there is iron build up? Any household cleaning tips to clean up any internal hardwater build up? Thanks
Take a plastic bag fill it half way with CLR or Iron Out. "Dip" your shower head into the bag and secure with a rubber band being sure the head is submerged in the liquid. Leave on overnight you will be amazed how much stuff settles into the bottom of that bag. Take it off the next day and discard contents. You should then have better water pressure with all the holes opened up.

HTH

Old 08-28-2008, 03:49 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,672,964 times
If you're lazy, like me, you don't finish a painting project in 1 day and you hate to clean brushes and rollers. You can put them in a plastic bag and put them in the refrigerator. They will stay paint ready for a week or more.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:52 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,672,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Take a plastic bag fill it half way with CLR or Iron Out. "Dip" your shower head into the bag and secure with a rubber band being sure the head is submerged in the liquid. Leave on overnight you will be amazed how much stuff settles into the bottom of that bag. Take it off the next day and discard contents. You should then have better water pressure with all the holes opened up.

HTH
Great advice Jaxson. I'm sure your lawyer told you to add "do not take a shower until CLR is rinsed" you forgot to add it

Old 08-28-2008, 04:48 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Great advice Jaxson. I'm sure your lawyer told you to add "do not take a shower until CLR is rinsed" you forgot to add it

Thanks for having my back with that disclaimer studedude! Sometimes I forget we all might not be rational clear thinking adults that read forums. Or some people might just follow what was written and not think about the obvious unwritten.

Quote:

HTH
Disclaimer:

After taking baggie filled with CLR/Iron Out off your shower head run water through said shower head to remove any residue of CLR/Iron Out. Be sure to stand clear as to have no body parts in line with the water spray. This will avoid possible burning of skin or eyes. Wearing protective gloves and goggles are advised but optional at own risk. Thank you now back to our regular programming.

Last edited by Jaxson; 08-28-2008 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: gloves & goggles

Old 08-29-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
If you're lazy, like me, you don't finish a painting project in 1 day and you hate to clean brushes and rollers. You can put them in a plastic bag and put them in the refrigerator. They will stay paint ready for a week or more.
This is a great tip. Hubby does not put in fridge, but he puts in plastic bags as you suggest. However, he only does it overnight. I am afraid if I tell him he can put the in the fridge and wait a week, that "honey do" list will never get finished!!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Thanks for having my back with that disclaimer studedude! Sometimes I forget we all might not be rational clear thinking adults that read forums. Or some people might just follow what was written and not think about the obvious unwritten.

Disclaimer:

After taking baggie filled with CLR/Iron Out off your shower head run water through said shower head to remove any residue of CLR/Iron Out. Be sure to stand clear as to have no body parts in line with the water spray. This will avoid possible burning of skin or eyes. Wearing protective gloves and goggles are advised but optional at own risk. Thank you now back to our regular programming.
ROFL!!! Thanx for the disclaimer, Jaxson. Even tho this is all free advice, I guess some people may not think it through when they try some of the tips we have all provided.

Thanks for sharing the CLR tip, btw!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House