Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 09:06 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,201,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ROFL!!! Thanx for the disclaimer, Jaxson. Even tho this is all free advice, I guess some people may not think it through when they try some of the tips we have all provided.

Thanks for sharing the CLR tip, btw!!!
No problem ma'am just trying to keep us all safe by making us laugh as well. On a more serious note; have you heard on the news about the mother that used the Magic Eraser to remove a temp tattoo from her child's skin? It burned it! Must have been out of baby oil.

Thanks for the reps~~~wow you got powers girl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 06:11 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,151,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly757 View Post
Anafani,

I believe you can get a dryer vent cleaning kit at Wal-Mart that attaches to your vacuum. It snakes through your vent and gets deeper than any vacuum attachment.

Oh, and if I didn't mention it before (or no one else may have...) if you ever want to get lint out from UNDER your dryer, just take the cardboard tube from Christmas wrap and stick it on the end of your vacuum hose. It collapses flat enough to get under your dryer and suck those bunnies right up! It's great for any tight fitting areas (like the side of your fridge) and can bend around corners too.

Wow, this is a fantastic cleaning tip. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
No problem ma'am just trying to keep us all safe by making us laugh as well. On a more serious note; have you heard on the news about the mother that used the Magic Eraser to remove a temp tattoo from her child's skin? It burned it! Must have been out of baby oil.

Thanks for the reps~~~wow you got powers girl!
LOL. Been around a while, Jaxson. Amazing how that works . . .

No, had not heard about the Magic Eraser malfunction! That is horrific! What made the woman think that was okay?

But then - speaking of mothers doing totally insane things w/ household products . . . When I was four . . . I decided I wanted to be the same color as my beloved babysitter. (I am white; she was black). So I took my daddy's black shoe DYE (not polish) and painted my legs. WHen my mom came home and saw what I had done, she freaked. She took Ajax and put it on my legs and scrubbed them w/ a kitchen scrubby. To say it hurt is an understatement and I am sure she would have been hauled off to jail for child abuse if she had done this in 2008.

I guess she permanently damaged the hair follicles on my legs, b/c it appears the Ajax acted as a depilatory . . . b/c I have nary a hair on my legs. Never have had to shave my legs!!!!! Now there is an off-label use for Ajax that I bet no one has ever heard of . . .

Yes, this is a true story!!! And no, I do not recommend doing it . . .

Old 08-30-2008, 07:25 PM

15,148 posts, read 27,817,958 times
Hmmm...It's a pain to keep shaving but I'm weighing this option

Old 08-30-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Hmmm...It's a pain to keep shaving but I'm weighing this option
Well, maybe start out w/ "soft scrub???"

Old 08-31-2008, 06:42 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,039,835 times
As much as I hate shaving and have looked at the cost and procedures needed to laser remove my body hair....this is a much more viable option! LOL (kidding...really)

Just like the bottles say when getting your hair colored...test in a small inconspicuous area first. LOL

Old 08-31-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly757 View Post
As much as I hate shaving and have looked at the cost and procedures needed to laser remove my body hair....this is a much more viable option! LOL (kidding...really)

Just like the bottles say when getting your hair colored...test in a small inconspicuous area first. LOL
Now let's see . . . "inconspicuous area" . . . Soft Scrub on back of calf . . . let it dry . . . Hmm.

Maybe we should cut and paste Jaxson's "disclaimer" here . . .

Old 08-31-2008, 08:17 AM

OKAY - new request.

I got this terrific stuff from Fuller Brush - for cleaning windows. Mix up the stuff and add to the hose attachment (wh/ is included w/ package of cleanser) and spray on windows to give them (and the screens as well) a good cleaning.

My problem, however, seems to be w/ spider webs. Our house is surrounded by woods, and we have lots and lots of spiders - and not just the garden type spiders. These spiders make very thick webs in the corners of our windows. I don't want to try to open the windows and tackle trying to wipe the webs off - as some are high and I would have to hang out the windows.

Any suggestions you all have to getting spider webs out of the corners of exterior windows??? The water blasts the webs and sometimes tears the webs, but they are so sturdy - they are still hanging on.

Anyone wanna give me some ideas how to get these tenacious webs from my windows? Some of them start on the brick, even.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:47 PM

15,148 posts, read 27,817,958 times
Sorry I can't help w/the webs

I forgot about this tip but it came back to me w/the hurricane talk now:

If it appears you might be affected by bad weather, freeze water in some emptied two liters bottles, if you have an icemaker, keep putting the cubes in bags and store in the freezer(s) - if there is an extended power outage, these will help keep the freezer colder and hopefully you won't lose your food. The less empty space in your freezer, the longer food will stay frozen (and DON'T open unless necessary).

(NOW...if you are like me, good like finding extra room in the freezer )

Old 08-31-2008, 06:23 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,332,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
OKAY - new request.

I got this terrific stuff from Fuller Brush - for cleaning windows. Mix up the stuff and add to the hose attachment (wh/ is included w/ package of cleanser) and spray on windows to give them (and the screens as well) a good cleaning.

My problem, however, seems to be w/ spider webs. Our house is surrounded by woods, and we have lots and lots of spiders - and not just the garden type spiders. These spiders make very thick webs in the corners of our windows. I don't want to try to open the windows and tackle trying to wipe the webs off - as some are high and I would have to hang out the windows.

Any suggestions you all have to getting spider webs out of the corners of exterior windows??? The water blasts the webs and sometimes tears the webs, but they are so sturdy - they are still hanging on.

Anyone wanna give me some ideas how to get these tenacious webs from my windows? Some of them start on the brick, even.
Do like I do. Dont look out the upstairs windows.

But if you just have to. Id say some kind of a brush or maybe one of those swiffer dusters duct taped to a long pole or a long piece of pvc pipe. What about those long things peeps use to change the light bulbs in their cathedral ceilings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House