Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 06:41 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,182,724 times

Advertisements

Flamingo13 that was a good reminder that jarred my memory on a freezer tip.

I have a large chest type freezer when my family size dwindled I started putting gallon milk containers filled with water in the bottom of it. They help to keep things colder longer if I lose power. Or if something happens to our well I can take them out for drinking/cooking water to boot. The best benefit is now I don't have to do 'head dives' into the freezer to reach the bottom layer of stuff. I also have 2 square plastic milk crates one holds veggies then the other one is filled with meat that I rotate when I buy more meat they stack on top of each other too. The older meat goes in the milk crate to be used up first while the new purchases goes on the bottom layer of the freezer.

Another bonus of those frozen milk jugs (gallon or 1/2 gallon) is I put one in a cooler then I don't have soggy stuff when I get to where we are going from floating in crushed ice. I have a couple of quart & pint milk jugs I use in our smaller coolers.

Don't forget to refill those expensive water bottles too! Put them in the freezer take them out when you leave for work or school the next day. You will have ice cold water for free most of the day if you are inside.

All you southern state dwellers prayers are up and keep safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 06:42 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Sorry I can't help w/the webs

I forgot about this tip but it came back to me w/the hurricane talk now:

If it appears you might be affected by bad weather, freeze water in some emptied two liters bottles, if you have an icemaker, keep putting the cubes in bags and store in the freezer(s) - if there is an extended power outage, these will help keep the freezer colder and hopefully you won't lose your food. The less empty space in your freezer, the longer food will stay frozen (and DON'T open unless necessary).

(NOW...if you are like me, good like finding extra room in the freezer )
Flamingo, I'll tell you another one with ice. When you're getting ice for camping, picnic, cookout or whatever, buy the ice a few days ahead of time and put it in your own freezer. have you noticed a lot of the bagged ice is starting to melt before you get it paid for? Of course! The faster it melts the quicker you'll have to come and get more! The lowe3r temp of your own freezer will freeze it harder and will last longer. We did that also with block ice we needed in our camper many years ago!

Old 08-31-2008, 06:44 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Another hint my parents have been using for ants. Put little piles of corn meal out for inside ants. The take it back to the colony, they all eat it...but they can't digest it! They just put it out on a napkin or a jar lid wherever you see the ants.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:51 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
OKAY - new request.

I got this terrific stuff from Fuller Brush - for cleaning windows. Mix up the stuff and add to the hose attachment (wh/ is included w/ package of cleanser) and spray on windows to give them (and the screens as well) a good cleaning.

My problem, however, seems to be w/ spider webs. Our house is surrounded by woods, and we have lots and lots of spiders - and not just the garden type spiders. These spiders make very thick webs in the corners of our windows. I don't want to try to open the windows and tackle trying to wipe the webs off - as some are high and I would have to hang out the windows.

Any suggestions you all have to getting spider webs out of the corners of exterior windows??? The water blasts the webs and sometimes tears the webs, but they are so sturdy - they are still hanging on.

Anyone wanna give me some ideas how to get these tenacious webs from my windows? Some of them start on the brick, even.
The best thing is a vacuum. Nothing beats a vacuum for spider webs!

Old 08-31-2008, 08:04 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Do like I do. Dont look out the upstairs windows.

But if you just have to. Id say some kind of a brush or maybe one of those swiffer dusters duct taped to a long pole or a long piece of pvc pipe. What about those long things peeps use to change the light bulbs in their cathedral ceilings.
I've not had luck with brushes. It gets trapped in the nooks and crannies of textured surfaces. But I do like the idea of an extender pole to reach those webs. Since we work with multiple vacuums we take all the extender poles from the vacuums and link them up so they reach a second story ceiling to do high dusting. The same can be done (or use gift wrap cores) for the outdoor windows and just use a vacuum. Whatever you do, make sure they are dry or nothing will get them all sucked up. Wet webs are hard to deal with!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Well, I can't envision how to set up w/ a vac to get to these webs. I will give it another look. I have a central vac. Hmmm.

But I do have various extender poles for different "brushes" - and somewhere, I have one of the poles C-Rose mentioned for changing light bulbs. It didn't work so I have no idea where DH stuck it, Hee Hee. However, I am going to see if I can locate it. I am thinking even an old towel wrapped around it or a pillow case . . . anything that will let me at least knock those spider webs away where I don't have to see them every time I look out the windows.

Oh yes - wet webs are impossible - wh/ I quickly discovered, LOL!!!

Also- thank you all for the tips re: ice. Great ideas! W/ a possible tropical storm on the way here (Hanna - later in week - maybe) . . . my power does occasionally go off so I am gonna go ahead and put the water in milk containers this week. I don't have a chest freezer (mine is upright) but no reason I can't make some space and stick some milk cartons in . . . Thanks again for some great ideas!!!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:57 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,953,640 times
Default hurricane preparations

Another thing to keep your frozens frozen is to wrap everything in newspaper then pack tightly in the freezer or coolers. the newspaper acts like insulation.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:10 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
any tips on clearing a showerhead from hard water build up? I do have community well water if that makes any difference. Maybe there is iron build up? Thanks
IF you have rust in your water your toilets will eventually have a rust ting in the bowl. The calcium deposits in hard water (the white stuff) builds up in the water lines and decreases water flow. The filter at the end of sink faucets trap grit and other stuff, and it decreases water flow too.

The only way to get rid of all of the above is to install a water conditioner on both hot and cold lines. If it is installed properly, there will not be hardwater, calcium lined pipes, rust in the water or anything else.

The common water softner salt is Socium Chloride. It's cheap and it has a lot of salt in it. The laternative salt is Potassium Chloride. It's ecologically friendly. Environmentalists like it. Sears or most plumbers can install it, or you can do it yourself if you understand plumbing.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:23 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,529,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
OKAY - new request.
Any suggestions you all have to getting spider webs out of the corners of exterior windows??? The water blasts the webs and sometimes tears the webs, but they are so sturdy - they are still hanging on.

This isn't necessarily to clean them, but as far as reaching them, do you have any of those pole tree trimmers/pruners? If so, you might be able to fabricate something to fit over the end to remove those cobwebs.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
This isn't necessarily to clean them, but as far as reaching them, do you have any of those pole tree trimmers/pruners? If so, you might be able to fabricate something to fit over the end to remove those cobwebs.
Hey, Mystic! Nice to see you posting here!

Well, what I ended up doing . . . I got my telescoping pole for changing lightbulbs (but wh/ never worked for that purpose, Hee Hee) and tied an old pillowcase on it . . . and used that for some of the windows. Some I still could not reach . . . even w/ a small ladder. I guess I am gonna have to hang out the window to do those and I am afraid of heights . . . so . . . it may be that those webs will have to wait until this next Spring. I think I will get a professional to come in and wash the windows inside and out really well. I like to do that every few years (we have terrible pollen here - sticky stuff - very hard to get off - especially upper windows). Part of the house is on a slope so we are talking 3 stories at one point and simply not something I can tackle.

Buy houses w/ windows that tilt in to clean, LOL. That is the longterm solution!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House