Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 11:54 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,039,926 times

Advertisements

Anafani, go to cleaningtalk.com at the pressure washing section and ask the pros there about what questions to ask when getting an estimate for pressure washing your exterior windows and home. That would be your best bet to get rid of the crud collecting on your windows and exterior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 01:30 PM

620 posts, read 1,952,200 times
These are tips that I just used in the last month to get ready to put my house on the market.
( Forgive me in advance if they have been posted before. I tried to go through some previous tips on here,but didn't see these.)

1. We had a dead bolt lock that was getting to the point it was difficult to turn. My grandpa was a huge fan of WD40 when I was younger when he would run out he would use PAM. I sprayed PAM on the edge of the lock/door and put some on a QTIP and it NOW DOES NOT STICK! I thought we would have to replace the entire lock!

2. We have used the PAM on a squeaky bed.

3. Also, my mom saw this tip and told me to try it. She told me to use shoe polish
( not the liquid) on my worn spots on our bedroom furniture before the our first showing. It worked! While I was doing it though, I got some on the hardwood floors we have. I started to buff it out and it looked great! So needless to say my mistake turned out great!

I had a spot from our baby gate that I was very concerned about because it scratched the hardwoods. I used the shoe polish and it looks brand new! It saved us a LOT of money I am sure. Plus, by doing this our "future" buyers can't complain about our hardwoods not looking up to par!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:35 AM

286 posts, read 1,082,883 times
"Vodka 101"

1. To remove a bandage painlessly, saturate
the bandage with vodka. The stuff dissolves
adhesive.

2. To clean the caulking around bathtubs and
showers, fill a trigger-spray bottle with vodka,
spray the caulking, let set five minutes and wash
clean. The alcohol in the vodka kills mold and
mildew.

3. To clean your eyeglasses, simply wipe the
lenses with a soft, clean cloth dampened with
vodka. The alcohol in the vodka cleans the
glass and kills germs.

4. Prolong the life of razors by filling a cup
with vodka and letting your safety razor blade
soak in the alcohol after shaving. The vodka
disinfects the blade and prevents rusting.

5. Spray vodka on wine stains, scrub with
a brush, and then blot dry.

6. Using a cotton ball, apply vodka to your
face as an astringent to cleanse the skin and
tighten pores.

7. Add a ****** of vodka to a 12-ounce bottle
of shampoo. The alcohol cleanses the scalp,
removes toxins from hair, and stimulates the
growth of healthy hair.

8. Fill a sixteen-ounce trigger-spray bottle
with vodka and spray bees or wasps to kill
them.

<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*

Quote du Jour

"If at first you don't succeed -- give up! No use
being a damn fool."
-- inDUHvidual

<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>* <>

"Vodka 101"
Cont'd

9. Pour one-half cup vodka and one-half cup
water into a Ziploc freezer bag and freeze for
a slushy, refreshing ice pack for aches, pain
or black eyes.

10. Fill a clean, used mayonnaise jar with
freshly packed lavender flowers, fill the jar
with vodka, seal the lid tightly and set in the
sun for three days. Strain liquid through a
coffee filter, then apply the tincture to aches
and pains.

11. To relieve a fever, use a washcloth to
rub vodka on your chest and back as a
liniment.

12. To cure foot odor, wash your feet with
vodka.

13. Vodka will disinfect and alleviate a jellyfish
sting.

14. Pour vodka over an area affected with
poison ivy to remove the urushiol oil from
your skin.

15. Swish a shot of vodka over an aching
tooth. Allow your gums to absorb some of
the alcohol to numb the pain.

And silly me!

All this time I only have been drinking the stuff.

Thanks for reading--------
inDUHvidual

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:46 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
LOL! Enjoyed your Vodka thread, Induhvidual!!! I was thinking . . . just throw a few shots back while using the Vodka for household solutions . . . and not only will you kill all your bees, make your feet smell good, take out stains, have sharp razors and sparkling glasses, you just won't notice as much that is wrong - or even care!!!

Old 09-20-2008, 02:29 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,039,926 times
I know a couple of people who made me laugh so hard I needed that vodka! LOL Three rep points all around.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:06 PM

11 posts, read 31,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Okay - that is really helpful info! Knowing you did your task in 40 d weather . . . that encourages me! Can't get out today but will run by Target and get the microfiber cloths. Some other posters have said those cloths would great. I am like you - the $6 is worth it if they really work.

The streaks are really bothering me, as I feel I am making the effort but not seeing the results of my effort.

I am learning so much here . . . thanks so much for sharing!
This is probably too simplistic, but have you thought of installing a curtain on the door, or a blind? Then you could stop thinking about it. The streaks, that is.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:16 PM

Default link

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
thanks for that link... i have another one too
How to Clean Stuff

ani -- one think i do when using the microfibers to do cleaning ... 1 is damp, maybe with just water, and wipe dry with the 2nd one.

yeah -- they are more expensive ... but i love'em. I use them for washing and drying dishes too.

Excellent site. Cleaning my silver necklace with sou sauce as we speak!

Old 09-21-2008, 07:40 PM

Default irish spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Depends how much you use it and also what types of products you use in the shower. And as far as mildew - seems the ventilation has a lot to do w/ that, also.

But I would say - 2 people - using shower gels (soaps can be worse for gunk) probably 8 weeks could create a mess.

This bring to mind a question I have. I have heard it said that all soaps create a scum, except for one - Irish Spring. Anyone know if this is true????
My hubby uses this, and I can tell you for a fact, there IS soap scum. Any soap that is solid will create scum. Someone told me to use shampoo to clean your tub,shower. haven't done it.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:25 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,203,287 times
I go to our local Dollar Tree and buy a big bottle of kids bubble bath for a buck. It cleans my tub and shower out nicely with no toxins and cheaper than tub/shower cleaners. I was amazed when I first tried this when it was suggested to me!

Old 09-22-2008, 10:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonite View Post
This is probably too simplistic, but have you thought of installing a curtain on the door, or a blind? Then you could stop thinking about it. The streaks, that is.
LOL! The french doors did have curtains on them when we bought the house but I didnt like the look. However, I have thought about putting them on again!!!!

My microfiber cloths are definitely helping, tho. I have better results w/ them than anything else I have used. Still takes elbow grease, tho!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House