Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 07:04 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,830 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is the right place to add this but I thought other people might benefit from this trick I just tried. We have fought a sugar ant problem forever and even with regular spraying they always seem to find a way in after a big rain.

A friend told me to talk some Dawn liquid dish soap and put it around where you see the ants coming in. In my case it was the back of a dish cabinet and another place on the counter where the caulk needs to be redone. I put some dish soap on my finger and lined the cabinet and the counter crack with it and within a few hours they were all gone. Haven't seen any since.

I thought that was a great cheap solution to my ant problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 07:30 PM

83 posts, read 259,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonite View Post
Excellent site. Cleaning my silver necklace with sou sauce as we speak!
LOL.. that's very interesting..

Old 09-29-2008, 10:20 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
What about a mudroom?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,845 times
Have bounced around here abit and you all have some great tips. I will be heading off with the spray and wash for carpet spots shortly!
Wanted to add a couple of try and true here too.
1: For the ants, had this problem under a door in my bay yrs ago and an old farmer told me to put garlic powder out at the threshold. It most definately worked.

2: This was an accident by a client- S. Steel cleaner, use baby wipes to polish and clean, they look like new. Easy on the hands and the scent is fresh, buy at dollar store off brand is cheaper than cleaners.

3: Baby powder keeps rabbits out of the garden, pour around the outside and they dont go past it. Of course you have to replace it after rain and such.

4: Dryer sheets help keep the knats off your pets when you are outside, they work on humans too!

5: My all time favorite: Put baking soda on pet puddles when they accidentally hit carpet. It draws the urine to the surface and then vacumn when dry, then you spray/mist with white vinager and it removes the odor.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
I don't know if this is the right place to add this but I thought other people might benefit from this trick I just tried. We have fought a sugar ant problem forever and even with regular spraying they always seem to find a way in after a big rain.

A friend told me to talk some Dawn liquid dish soap and put it around where you see the ants coming in. In my case it was the back of a dish cabinet and another place on the counter where the caulk needs to be redone. I put some dish soap on my finger and lined the cabinet and the counter crack with it and within a few hours they were all gone. Haven't seen any since.

I thought that was a great cheap solution to my ant problem
Hey, Scarlet! I love this! I surely have never heard this suggestion, but I will use it.

Glad you took time to post - hope you will keep adding ideas. This has been such a fun thread!!!!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Have bounced around here abit and you all have some great tips. I will be heading off with the spray and wash for carpet spots shortly!
Wanted to add a couple of try and true here too.
1: For the ants, had this problem under a door in my bay yrs ago and an old farmer told me to put garlic powder out at the threshold. It most definately worked.

2: This was an accident by a client- S. Steel cleaner, use baby wipes to polish and clean, they look like new. Easy on the hands and the scent is fresh, buy at dollar store off brand is cheaper than cleaners.

3: Baby powder keeps rabbits out of the garden, pour around the outside and they dont go past it. Of course you have to replace it after rain and such.

4: Dryer sheets help keep the knats off your pets when you are outside, they work on humans too!

5: My all time favorite: Put baking soda on pet puddles when they accidentally hit carpet. It draws the urine to the surface and then vacumn when dry, then you spray/mist with white vinager and it removes the odor.
Great suggestions, Painter! Baby powder and rabbits - who knew????

Old 09-30-2008, 07:04 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
I use paprika to stop ants. It worked everytime for me.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I use paprika to stop ants. It worked everytime for me.
Hey, Bibit! How do you use it? Outside or around windows on the inside or what? I have paprika!!!

I had some ants coming in around my kitchen window - tiny ones - this past week - and I grabbed my windex and sprayed the ants as well as the window - casing, glass, everything - and then wiped up w/ papertowels . . . and they haven't come back! Killed all the critters and evidently wiped out the scent trail they follow to come in. It has been five days now and no ants in sight. Hope that did it!!! Guess it was the ammonia????

Old 10-06-2008, 06:33 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hey, Bibit! How do you use it? Outside or around windows on the inside or what? I have paprika!!!
Ani - we sprinkle paprika around the baseboards and near the aluminum strip on doors. Paprika is pet-safe, that's why we preferred that. Put some inside cabinets as well, especially the base cabinets.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Ani - we sprinkle paprika around the baseboards and near the aluminum strip on doors. Paprika is pet-safe, that's why we preferred that. Put some inside cabinets as well, especially the base cabinets.
Thank you, Bibit! What a great solution! Pet-safety is soooo important and a "green" solution is a wonderful idea!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House