Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 08:03 AM

2,500 posts, read 6,300,017 times

Advertisements

Hey Ms Anifani

Im sorry you ruined your outfit. I know all about bleach malfunctions. (raises hand). Ive learned the hard way if its possible it will happen. Paint. Bleach. Hair dye. You name it. It will jump on me from across the room. Prevention really is easier. As for the hair dye why dont you keep some old beach towels to drape over stuff.

One way to deal with a bleach malfunction is to treat it like art. Take a bleach pen and add some artistic stripes flowers etc. Or do tie dye. Hang it up and lightly spray or fling on bleach. Or do the rubber bands. Another way is to use fabric paint pens. Truthfully tho I just add it to my cleaning clothes.

Ive used Rit Dye for a long time. Ive had some wonderful surprizes and some not so wonderful. When I was a kid I needed to make do. And now that Im older I just need to mess with stuff. Natural fibers like cotton dye best. Dye just rolls off some synthetics.

Dye adds color to what is already there. It wont cover up bleach marks or bad prints. When you dye something that has bleach marks the marks will still be lighter than the rest. You need to beach the whole outfit to a uniform color first. Always test on a seam tho. Sometimes they use synthetic thread. You might bleach something navy blue to light blue and end up with all the nav stitching showing. BTDT. Also some dark colors are overdyed on base colors. You might not like what you get. A lot of blacks are overdyed on olive . Yay me.

And no matter what they say it fades. I use it the most is perking up colors. Every so often I put all my faded green jeans in the washer with some green dye to perk up the color.

FYI. I think I have the color chart with the formulas to make different colors if anybody needs it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 06:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Have been using Weiman's brand since the early 80s. Just clean your shower stall well and after it is dry, apply the lemon oil and rub well . . . it is amazing!

So far, I have been able to find Weiman's at grocery stores.
About the Weimans Lemon Oil... Is this in the cleaning product isle at the supermarket? I'm going to look for it, but I want to know where I should be looking.
Thanks!

Old 04-15-2009, 12:40 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,488,579 times
Thumbs up coffee filter uses

I don't know if this is on here, but I just got an email about these and there are some pretty unique ideas!

COFFEE FILTERS
Coffee filters ..who knew! And you can buy 1,000 at the Dollar Tree for almost nothing.

1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave. Coffee filters make excellent covers.

2. Clean windows and mirrors. Coffee filters are lint-free so they'll leave windows sparkling.

3. Protect China - Separate your good dishes by putting a coffee filter between each dish.

4. Filter broken cork from wine. If you break the cork when opening a wine bottle, filter the wine through a coffee filter.

5. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.

6. Apply shoe polish. Ball up a lint-free coffee filter.

7. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.

8. Weigh chopped foods. Place chopped ingredients in a coffee filter on a kitchen scale.

9. Hold tacos. Coffee filters make convenient wrappers for messy foods.

10. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going through the drainage holes.

11. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke one or two holes as needed in a coffee filter.

12. Do you think we used expensive strips to wax eyebrows? Use strips of coffee filters.

13. Put a few in a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, etc. on them. Soaks out all the grease.

14. Keep in the bathroom. They make great "razor nick fixers."

Old 06-20-2009, 12:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,137,567 times
YAY for coffee filters!

I read where you should not use the white filters, as they go thru/ some sort of bleaching process, and this chemical can leach out into coffee. The article said use only the brown filters. Now, I dont know how big of a deal that is, but I did switch to the brown filters.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:00 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,115,986 times
Witchhazel is a good cleaner for brass.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:16 PM

7 posts, read 26,816 times
I still think Pine Sol is the best cleaner for wood! Also put a squeeze of lemon juice in my bucket when I mop the floor!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:32 PM

24,306 posts, read 25,811,010 times
Wish someone had the time to organize this thread into categories.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:01 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,898,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeganZ View Post
I still think Pine Sol is the best cleaner for wood! Also put a squeeze of lemon juice in my bucket when I mop the floor!
i think Pine Sol smells heavenly and a really good CLEAN smell but can you use it on poly finished wood floors?

Old 10-24-2009, 11:08 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,142,554 times
Not really a household tip, but another use for coffee filters- as a holder for popcorn. We make a big bowl and bring it out while watching TV, using filters for our individual stash.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:22 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,488,579 times
I use wooden clothespins for chip clips. They're cheap and they work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House