Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 08:03 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,141,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
Any tips on how to clean a glass top stove? Recently, a pot of something I was making boiled over, and I can't get the burnt on areas to come out. I've tried the magic eraser, vineger/baking soda, those stove scraper things, etc., and it is still there! Anyone have any suggestions?
Have you ever tried Bar Keepers Friend? , It cleans even burned sugar of a glasstop stove. It is great on brushed aluminum sinks and stainless & copper pot or pan bottoms. Just gently rub with the grain.
Do the same on your cooktop - gently with small amount of product. It has a mild acid in it which you will definitely smell - not bad, just different.
Most supermarkets, drug stores, hardware stores and big box stores carry it.
GREAT on the grill, too! For cleaning, not eating!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,219,260 times
I don't use any other cleanser than Bar Keepers Friend. Best cleanser on the market!!

Old 05-28-2012, 10:26 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,595,621 times
In reading the whole thread finally, (whew! A good read, btw. Started in the front, then skipped some of the middle, went to the end, then back to the middle. My big regret is not writing things down as I was reading!) I see baking soda and washing soda are both mentioned. (Baking soda's discussed more than washing soda, by far.)

So, my question: I still am unfamiliar with washing soda and how it differs from bkg soda. In fact, I've never heard of w.soda until this thread. Can someone tell me in a nutshell what's the difference between the two?

I also thought I saw someone post saying they like to use baking soda in their laundry. Also I've seen A&H liquid detergent in the supermarket so I assume (maybe I shouldn't) that it has A&H bkg soda in it

Old 05-28-2012, 06:01 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,141,657 times
Wink It all comes out eventually in the wash.

Grimace, washing soda is sodium carbonate and baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.

The two are very similar in properties, but washing soda is more alkaline. Baking soda is very slightly alkaline.

Both aid in cleaning and fabric softening, but the effects are a little different. Washing soda is a good degreaser and stain removal agent and baking soda is almost like a pumice (plus it can remove tea and coffee stains - unless my husband is the dripper and then little helps!). Baking soda is used in tooth paste as an abrasive cleaner and whitener.

Both compounds are used in industry - brick making, bomb components, glass manufacturing, et al.)

If you want to clean the mess and stains off of the bottom of your frying pan, I'd use baking soda. If you want a cleaner wash, opt for washing soda.;

So, both are good in the laundry,

Old 05-29-2012, 05:02 PM

Thanks gemkeeper. That makes it easy. I saw a box of A&H washing soda powder in a hardware store near me - so I might try it soon.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:23 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,081,568 times
Thanks for that explanation, Gemkeeper!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:06 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,219,260 times
I stopped using washing soda because the color was fading unevenly from all my dark cotton knits--sweats pants/shirts and long sleeve, knit turtle necks--that I wear in the winter. Couldn't pin it down to anything else. Color in cotton/synthetic blends wasn't affected and lighter cottons not affected either.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I stopped using washing soda because the color was fading unevenly from all my dark cotton knits--sweats pants/shirts and long sleeve, knit turtle necks--that I wear in the winter. Couldn't pin it down to anything else. Color in cotton/synthetic blends wasn't affected and lighter cottons not affected either.
That's interesting. Also observant to notice the details. Maybe it was the amount used? Stopping is a good idea.

Can anyone recommend a good steam cleaner (for rooms). By "good" I mean POWERFUL

I see so many negative reviews of this steamer that steamer. It's hard to keep track of who's good, who's not good - Some are made in the USA, others in Europe. The main complaint is weak power.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:26 AM

506 posts, read 1,957,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Have you ever tried Bar Keepers Friend? , It cleans even burned sugar of a glasstop stove. It is great on brushed aluminum sinks and stainless & copper pot or pan bottoms. Just gently rub with the grain.
Do the same on your cooktop - gently with small amount of product. It has a mild acid in it which you will definitely smell - not bad, just different.
Most supermarkets, drug stores, hardware stores and big box stores carry it.
GREAT on the grill, too! For cleaning, not eating!!!
Thanks! Will look for it!

Old 06-06-2012, 03:33 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,794,573 times
City-Data members can be quite informative! I appreciate all advice,tips, and Dos and Dont's! Searching for the Bartender's friend no to mention the Bar Keepers friend cleaning product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House