Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

ELLEMINT: thanks for those great tips! I have used the polish on the keys trick . . . have not tried the toothpaste. I will definitely be using the rubberband trick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 03:10 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ELLEMINT: thanks for those great tips! I have used the polish on the keys trick . . . have not tried the toothpaste. I will definitely be using the rubberband trick!
And at the link there are a bunch of other good tips. I also like these:

tuxedo mask - 99 Life Hacks to make your life easier!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:24 AM

I don't think we have had any mention of how to season a cast iron pan. Anyone want to jump in on that one? I could post a vid but the steps are not that complicated.

If any of you have a method you would like to share . . . feel free. Otherwise, I will do a write up on "how to season cast iron" since I have been doing this all my life . . . and just rescued an iron cornbread mold this week. It occurred to me that perhaps others would find this helpful.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:19 PM

Okay . . . to season iron skillets, etc . . . use a wire brush or some type of wire "pad" and clean the item well if there is rust.

Some folks suggest soaking in vinegar for a day or so if there is a lot of rust. I have never found this very helpful but maybe it depends on how much rust is on the item.

Others suggest putting the iron item into a campfire (which is a great method but how many of us have a campfire around to "cook" a old frying pan in for hours? lol).

So just get the rust off with a wire brush or a brillo pad.

After the item is well cleaned, covered it in a light layer of vegetable shortening or vegetable oil. DO NOT OVERCOAT. You want a thin layer.

Heat oven to 350. Place item in oven and "cook" for at least 2 hours. Let cool. Repeat oil process to harden the surface. Again, keep the layer THIN.

"Cook" for another two hours. Cool. Your pan should be ready to use now.

Do not wash a seasoned iron skillet (or any other iron product) in soapy water. Simply rinse with warm water and wipe. If the finish starts wearing thin, cover with oil again and repeat the process.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
I second Anifani's suggestions for the cast iron skillet seasoning. I do, however, wash all of my cast iron in the regular soapy dishwater, always have. When I start the dishwater though, I start the oven on 200 degrees. After washing the cast iron, I place it upside down on the rack in the oven and dry it there. If the seasoning starts to look like it's wearing "thin", while washing the pans, I'll hand dry the pan, put just a few drops of vegetable oil on a paper towel, scrub it over the pan surface and place it in that 200 deg oven for about an hour. All we use is our cast iron and it's the best "non-stick" cookware I've ever owned...if you take care of it.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:30 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Elemint! Those are fantastic tips! Thank you!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
After reading numerous tips, I've yet to find the best way to get rid of calcium buildup in the toilet, and to keep it clean.

I used to have something that hangs in the tank to keep the bowl clean, but it tends to degrade parts of the inside of the tank and it has to be replaced.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Toilet cleaning products like The Works and Snobowl will work. The Works is pretty strong, and is an acid. Vinegar is a much more natural way to remove calcium but takes longer.

The only way to keep calcium from building is to change the type of water that fills it. You're probably pretty much just stuck with cleaning it regularly unless you can somehow figure out a way to attach a filter to the water supply to the toilet. A whole house filter maybe.

As for other cleaning, I use alcohol for many things, but I love vinegar for everything. Its a mild acid for one think, and while it stinks while cleaning, the smell goes away when it evaporates. You can also make your own scented vinegar by steeping it in lavender too. Anyway, I use a cup in the washing machine when doing pet laundry (blankets and pet bed covers), vinegar neutralizes the urea in pet urine so its great for those accidents. I put it in the bucket when mopping floors too, its safe for tile.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 12,332 times
keeping your dish rags clean

Old 03-26-2013, 03:53 PM

Default clean your computer keyboard

You know those tooth cleaning "soft picks"---- I found they make a great tool for cleaning between the keys of my laptop!

I just run them in the trough between keys, or even in the little recessed part of the keys and scoop up all the grime (and cat hairs!) They don't give off lint, and don't carry static. It really works. I use them dry but if you're brave you might want to experiment with making them slightly damp. I use the same one over and over and just keep wiping it, and rinse it off with water and re-use it again. When it starts to bend I use a new one. I imagine they could also be used to cleanup your e-reader or any other electronic device that has tiny areas.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:03 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House