Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 04:10 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,660,152 times

Advertisements

This is from a blog by "Brown Thumb Mama:

You'll need:
A clean, empty spray bottle
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 cups distilled water (I use plain ordinary water)
10 drops essential oil (a single scent, or a mixture. Imagine the possibilities!)

Measure the baking soda into a bowl and add the essential oil on top.

Using a fork, mix the oil into the baking soda. This will help keep the oil suspended in the water.

Put the baking soda/oil mixture into the spray bottle (a funnel helps) and top off with the distilled water. Label your bottle, shake before use, and breathe happy--and safely.

Brown Thumb Mama: Homemade, Natural Febreze
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 11:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Has anyone actually made the "homemade Febreeze?" I would like to know what they thought about it as I was shocked to see the price of Febreeze the other day when I had to pick some up.

Would love to hear someone's experiences with the homemade stuff.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,899,982 times
You can make it any scent you want. It works as well or better. I like the orange the best. I've also used vanilla. It's not much work for the cost difference. Make your own is so much way cheaper.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
You can make it any scent you want. It works as well or better. I like the orange the best. I've also used vanilla. It's not much work for the cost difference. Make your own is so much way cheaper.
Thank you, Shane! I am going to experiment this week . . . much prefer going the "natural" route. I also like your suggestion of orange scent . . . I have both orange and lavender essential oil on hand so maybe some of both.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:37 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,061,223 times
I searched the thread first but didn't find anything...can anyone suggest how to keep bath towels from getting that moldy smell? I wash them, make sure they are dry when taking them out of the dryer, they come out smelling fine & the next day it smells.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:35 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,203,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I searched the thread first but didn't find anything...can anyone suggest how to keep bath towels from getting that moldy smell? I wash them, make sure they are dry when taking them out of the dryer, they come out smelling fine & the next day it smells.
I had that problem when I first started using front loading washer now I use a Tide pod regularly to clean out the wash tub. Wipe out the rubber seal really well and around the door after each load. Don't have the problem any more. HTH

Old 04-24-2013, 12:37 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,061,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I had that problem when I first started using front loading washer now I use a Tide pod regularly to clean out the wash tub. Wipe out the rubber seal really well and around the door after each load. Don't have the problem any more. HTH
Thank you! Never would have thought the problem would be my washer.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:56 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,726,673 times
I skipped through the thread and didn't see my most favorite cleaning tool EVER mentioned...

There are literally hundreds of things you can use this for. My wife (who usually does the bulk of the cleaning) scoffed when I started telling her about all of the awesome things it can do. After a couple of quick demonstrations I turned into a true believer. So, here are some of the uses...

1. Get crayon and other marks off of painted surfaces. Well, this is a gimme as that's what they advertise it for. However, it will also get the same marks/stains out of carpet, upholstery, tile of all sorts, etc.

2. It will remove virtually ANYTHING from a stained pot/pan. My MIL had come over and sauteed brussel sprouts in butter and olive oil in one of our stainless/copper pans. It was an absolute mess. My wife washed it, soaked it, scrubbed it...nothing worked. I wiped it was a Magic Eraser...it looked like it was brand new.

3. Use it to clean stainless steel, like your appliances. It will instantly lift off any of the marks, fingerprints, film, etc. and leave it sparkly clean. It also supposedly makes the surface more resistant to accumulating those marks as well.

4. Clean your mirrors. Works just like it does on stainless steel and rerportedly has an anti-fogging property.

5. You can make pretty much any sneaker look like it's brand new by wiping them down. I have a nice pair of white sneakers that I wear a lot and they still look brand new. My son's treasured $150 Nike's he just had to have...still look brand new even after being worn constantly for the past 5 months.

6. It will remove mildew stains from pretty much anything.

7. Remove coffee and tea stains from mugs, pots, etc.

8. Remove food stains from plastic containers. You know how plastic containers that you put pasta in turn red? These things will take that right off and make them look new.

9. Need to polish your silver? No need for silver polish, soaking, etc. These will take the tarnish right off. Works on pewter and other metals as well.

10. Have rings and stains in your toilet? Cut off a chunk of a Magic Eraser, drop it in the toilet and let it sit in there overnight. The next morning all you need to do is flush and the stains will be gone.

11. Use it to remove leftover adhesive instead of messing with Goo-B-Gone.

12. Use it to clean grout. There are easier ways to do that, but for the really stubborn spots, it will clean it easily.

13. It will remove dried paint over spray from just about any surface including cars. Body shops actually use it to remove stubborn overspray stains from damaged cars.

14. Have really nasty rims/hubcaps? Wipe them down with a Magic Eraser and they will look brand new.

15. It will take grease and other nasty stains right off of your cooktop, range hood, microwave or oven.

16. Use it to clean the inside of your dishwasher, it will take out any staining.

17. Use it to clean your shower and shower door. It will instantly remove soap scum, hard water stains, etc.

18. This one was one of my favorites, but kind of like number 13. When we moved into our house almost all of our brass hinges on the doors had paint all over them from the previous owner. Nothing really gets that off and we figured we would need to replace them...or so we thought. Magice Erasers will take the paint right off, even if it's been there for a long time. It works on other painting "accidents" as well such as overpaint on trim.

There are tons more at the following links, but I wanted to share my favorite cleaning thing ever. Now that I showed my wife how great they are (by saving her pan) she keeps me stocked up with a giant tub of these things.

35 new uses for the Magic Eraser | BabyCenter Blog

Shocking ways to use a Magic Eraser | Simply Camden

Everyday Helps for Everyday People: 100 Uses of the Magic Erasers

This one is Mr. Cleans own blog of "never ending uses" for the Magic Eraser:

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Tips - Consumer Product Reviews

Old 08-01-2013, 12:09 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,732,783 times
You SOLD me NJ. I bought one years ago, but to be honest with you, didn't really give it a fair shake. LOL Now, I HAVE to give them another try. Thanks!

Old 08-02-2013, 05:16 PM

335 posts, read 620,700 times
I really wanted to send a package of these to the people who we bought our house from. They had kids who used crayon ALL OVER. Walls, fireplaces, doors... I have been buying boatloads of them to go through the house and get rid of all the mess they left behind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House