Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 06:36 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,408,314 times

Advertisements

These are all wonderful tips and I'm looking forward to trying some of them!

I had gotten some paint on a pair of jeans, and I haven't been able to get it out. I'm going to try the rubbing alcohol tip and see how that works. I'm another one that loves Barkeeper's Friend - when I had an apartment, I had an old metal cabinet that I used in my kitchen, and it made a huge rust stain on the linoleum floor. I was scrubbing until I felt like my arms were going to fall off, but nothing worked quite like Barkeeper's Friend. That stuff is a lifesaver!

WD-40 helped me get the corrosion off of the bolts that were holding the old toilet seat on in my house, and a mix of vinegar and dish soap helped me get this disgusting soap scum out of my bathtub. I can't believe how much crud came off!

Now, I throw my shower curtain, liners, and shower mat in the wash and add vinegar to get the ick off of them and to keep from having to replace them. Question is, the "clear" shower mat is discolored/yellowed, and I'm not sure how to remove the discoloration. Any ideas?

Also, any of you who've had to endure this terrible winter, I've read that some combination of dish soap and alcohol is good for removing ice from sidewalks. Has anyone tried that, and how did it work?

I love the idea of using just a handful of everyday items for multiple purposes, instead of having to continually go out and buy a number of products, each for a different use. I've got to remember to save my dryer sheets for dusting. Less wasteful and saves money - sounds right up my alley!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 AM

4,191 posts, read 3,408,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJones View Post
My mother did that once and nearly blew up the house. LOL! Needless to say, once was all it took.

Okay, I know this may sound idiotic, but what's the best way to get rid of set stains in carpet? Some people are telling me it can't be done - once they're set, they're set. *sigh*
We have a few doggie stains and they are driving me nuts. They happened before we really knew what we were doing and knew the proper cleaning techniques to get the stains completely out. Course, now she's housebroken and it's not an issue, but those dark spots in my carpet get under my skin! And of course, I have light carpet. Any suggestions?
Peroxide? You get it at the pharmacy. OTC.

I am not 'green' but I am a tightwad and have a thing about certain scents, so I'm saving citrus peels and soaking them in white vinegar, which I learned from another forum. It's supposed to make a nice citrus-scented all-purpose cleaner.

Vinegar, peroxide, baking soda, those Magic Sponges, and Dawn are pretty much my go-tos for all sorts of cleaning. Oh, and toothpaste, lol.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:02 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
I thought it might be interesting to switch it up some on this thread . . . and ask if folks have any tips about simple household repairs or maintenance tips.My latest household repair: painting floor register covers, using OIL RUBBED BRONZE spray paint.

They look fantastic!

Old 05-26-2014, 07:03 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,382,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I thought it might be interesting to switch it up some on this thread . . . and ask if folks have any tips about simple household repairs or maintenance tips.My latest household repair: painting floor register covers, using OIL RUBBED BRONZE spray paint.

They look fantastic!
I don't know why I never thought to do this. We have some ugly registers I've been wanting to replace with oil rubbed bronze ones. I paint everything else so I'm not sure why this notion completely escaped me!

Old 06-09-2014, 09:35 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,299,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Thank you! Never would have thought the problem would be my washer.
Towels themselves should be washed in SUDSY ammonia

Old 06-14-2014, 11:33 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,099,976 times
I don't know if this is a household secret but I have to share with everyone I discovered a new product call ProForce Oven & Grill Cleaner. Found it on Amazon. Not sure if we can link to Amazon or not. Do not want to break the rules here. Here is the product link. This stuff is amazing. All you do is heat your oven up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit and no hotter and then turn off the oven once it reaches temp. Spray the inside of oven and the grease just melts away. Amazing product. This to me is the best oven cleaner in a long time.

Amazon.com - ProForce Oven, Grill & Fryer Cleaner - 3-32 oz - Kitchen Cleaners

I just wanted to add a few things. After using these chemicals with gloves proper ventilation I always spray down the oven with water and vinegar in a spray bottle to get any residual chemicals plus heating up the oven to burn off any chemicals.

Last edited by Rangerdude_Charlie; 06-14-2014 at 12:04 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 08:21 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,286,279 times
My latest and greatest natural pesticide found re ANTS.

I tried all of the natural BS on line and it didnt work- cinnamon powder, coffee grinds, etc. I bought 4 types of ant traps. Nothing. FINALLY, i expanded on the cinnamon concept, realized i had cinnamon oil in my fridge and wiped that crap everywhere. It was kinda sticky but SO worth it- GONE!

CINNAMON *OIL* + SMEARING IT EVERYWHERE= NO ANTS

Old 10-06-2014, 07:02 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,110,794 times
At the end of painting with a roller the other day , I had to take the roller cover off the roller frame. After all of these years of making a mess, I put a plastic grocery store bag over it, grabbed with the bag protecting my hand (and everything else), then just tossed it in the trash. Quick, easy, effortless, mess-free.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:36 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
At the end of painting with a roller the other day , I had to take the roller cover off the roller frame. After all of these years of making a mess, I put a plastic grocery store bag over it, grabbed with the bag protecting my hand (and everything else), then just tossed it in the trash. Quick, easy, effortless, mess-free.
Good idea. Painting is such a hassle and clean up is the big reason why!

Old 11-17-2014, 05:06 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,408,541 times
Well, it was true!

Those Magic Erasers by Mr. Clean cleaned my leather sneakers ...
but they even took drops of ext. latex paint drops off, too!
That darn Avia stopped making my brand after years...so I couldn't buy a new pair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House