Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 06:51 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, it helps sharpen the blades, I am told. So you keep your blades in good shape plus sanitize.

I add some vinegar and a squirt of dish liquid while running my disposal to keep it smelling fresh, and yes, I drop ice cubes in, too. Never thought about freezing vinegar in ice cubes!

Thank you!

also add some pure lemon juice and ice cubes too will do good also .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 01:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
also add some pure lemon juice and ice cubes too will do good also .
Makes sense! Thank you for the tip, phonelady!

Old 12-05-2014, 01:37 PM

Not our "typical" tip for this thread, but thought I would mention that we had our popcorn ceilings removed in a home we purchased. I thought it would be a horrific job. Well, actually, the stuff comes off with water!

I despise popcorn ceilings and when our painter started to paint, we immediately noticed the popcorn seemed to be in "sheets" and was loosening from the ceiling! I had said - wish I could scrape that popcorn mess off - but had assumed it would be a very costly, difficult job.

But when I saw how the paint was literally softening the popcorn ceiling in sections and making it droop down, I started researching.

All it took was: a warm spray bottle of water or something that sprays water (we used the pump sprayer type that people typically buy for insecticides); a wide scraper device; a pan of some sort to catch the "goop" (we used painter trays).

We put plastic all over the floor before we started. Then it was simply a matter of spraying down thoroughly a section of popcorn, letting it sit, and scraping it off. We sprayed a section "ahead" of the one we were working on so that it had softened up enough to scrape off by the time we finished the other section.

It is a messy job but you can minimize the mess by using disposable plastic drop cloths and frequently dumping the scraped mess out of the trays you are using.

Of course, the ceiling needs to dry well for a day or so and then there is the matter of any taping and mudwork (I guess that is what it is called) . . . and painting the ceiling.

Removing the popcorn ceiling changed the entire look of the room, something we were not expecting. The light refracts differently, I guess. It actually "brightened up" the rooms!

So if you hate your popcorn ceilings, it is not that arduous a task to remove them, surprisingly.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:15 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,223,142 times
Oven cleaner! My husband brought home a pumice stick, $2, and it worked like cutting through butter. I had almost given up on my oven door, nothing was working on the glass. The pumice stick says not to use on glass but what the heck it I tried it and it came clean in 10 minutes. Dip the rock in a bit of water and scrub in circles to make a paste then wipe it up with paper towel. Repeat and get done in record time!

Old 01-19-2015, 05:13 PM

13,058 posts, read 18,141,425 times
I had a cabinet door that the screws striped from the hinge area and the door would no longer stay closed and it was propped up on the cabinet. Tried all the usual methods and I finally had a cabinet maker tell me to go to Loews and buy Locktite epoxy putty. There are other brands too. You cut a small amount of putty and knead it til it turns white. Then apply to hole. Let sit for an hour. Drill a new hole and replace.

I have repaired chairs with this whose legs constantly wobbled and it is like cement, no more wobbles, one word of caution. Do not place on furniture surfaces because it will be come rock hard in minutes and you will not be able to remove it.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I had a cabinet door that the screws striped from the hinge area and the door would no longer stay closed and it was propped up on the cabinet. Tried all the usual methods and I finally had a cabinet maker tell me to go to Loews and buy Locktite epoxy putty. There are other brands too. You cut a small amount of putty and knead it til it turns white. Then apply to hole. Let sit for an hour. Drill a new hole and replace.

I have repaired chairs with this whose legs constantly wobbled and it is like cement, no more wobbles, one word of caution. Do not place on furniture surfaces because it will be come rock hard in minutes and you will not be able to remove it.
What a timely tip!

Thank you so much for sharing this, nuts2uiam! I need to make a repair and will be using your suggestion!

Old 01-20-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
What a timely tip!

Thank you so much for sharing this, nuts2uiam! I need to make a repair and will be using your suggestion!
When I told my sister she had just paid a cabinet repair guy $150 to fix the same problem. We always talk daily and for some reason I forgot to mention it to her. A few days later I happened to mention it and she was livid as the "cabinet doctor" as he went by told her the little tube of putty was $60 for a foot, and he did the same thing. I am told it can be used on wood, metal pipes even concrete.

I put the unused portion in a zip lock bag, squeeze the air out and then squished it back into the tube it came in. This stuff is unbelievable. I had some wooden counter chairs that you constantly had to tighten to the point that when company would come I would put them away, because I was afraid that some one would fall. I remembered the putty and it worked like a charm, no more having to tighten the screws.

Let us know how you do.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:39 AM

Default good ideas

[quote=ellemint;27197643]Some absolutely ingenious household tips, like using paper clips to organize your computer cords are at the following link:

tuxedo mask - 99 Life Hacks to make your life easier!

Since it looks like my sister is going to be buried for a few days in snow, I thank you for this. She is going to have a little inside time on her hands.
This should keep her busy.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:32 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Not so much a tip, as a question. Has anyone had a problem with their washer stinking, all of a sudden? If so, do you use the 'pod' type of detergent?
I know the subject of the new front loading washers developing a stink has been covered, but I have had the same top loading washer for 10 years, and all of a sudden it developed an "old moldy sweat socks" smell. The only thing that has changed is I am halfway through a package of Gain pod type detergent for the first time.
I ran though an empty wash with bleach, and today it smells normal again, but I'm suspicious of the pods now.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:23 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,200,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not so much a tip, as a question. Has anyone had a problem with their washer stinking, all of a sudden? If so, do you use the 'pod' type of detergent?
I know the subject of the new front loading washers developing a stink has been covered, but I have had the same top loading washer for 10 years, and all of a sudden it developed an "old moldy sweat socks" smell. The only thing that has changed is I am halfway through a package of Gain pod type detergent for the first time.
I ran though an empty wash with bleach, and today it smells normal again, but I'm suspicious of the pods now.
I use liquid Tide & liquid Downy my washing started taking on that "old moldy sweat socks" smell too. Either here on this thread or somewhere on CD I read to use sudsing Ammonia in my washing cycles problem solved. Except now no local stores are carrying the sudsing Ammonia so I have had to buy plain Ammonia. Not used it yet so don't know if it will work like the sudsing does. Oh I use top loading also I had the front loader pair got rid of them hated them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House