Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 12:46 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not so much a tip, as a question. Has anyone had a problem with their washer stinking, all of a sudden? If so, do you use the 'pod' type of detergent?
I know the subject of the new front loading washers developing a stink has been covered, but I have had the same top loading washer for 10 years, and all of a sudden it developed an "old moldy sweat socks" smell. The only thing that has changed is I am halfway through a package of Gain pod type detergent for the first time.
I ran though an empty wash with bleach, and today it smells normal again, but I'm suspicious of the pods now.

I see we travel in the same threads!!! I too had the same problem. Buy a product called Smelly Washer
Washing Machine Cleaning | Smelly Washer. I too had a top loader before I moved and it smelled like a moldy gym. I bought this stuff from smelly washer and it did the trick. Mine took two applications. I will tell you that it is gross and will give you the creeps when you see what comes out of your machine. It is a bacteria that builds up due to the lower phosphates and cold water washes that many of us now do.

When I moved here the house had a washer and we had to replace it and after reading the reviews of the front loaders which have more of a propensity to develop smelly washer due to the position of the drum, I bought a top loader again. I will also tell you that an appliance repair man here told me that once a laundry is complete you should never close the cover (unless little kids are in the home). He said it gives the air a chance to circulate. I have not had the problem again. It is available in several places, see the website. I had the problem about 5 or 6 years ago and I bought an envelope of the stuff from smelly washer. It has become such a problem that they now sell it all over.

I have a pretty sensitive sniffer and it drove me crazy, dh didn't smelly it and when he finally did he thought it was the dampness of the basement in general. I told him if my basement smelled like this I would have moved out.

Problem solved.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 02-15-2015 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 02:24 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
So far, nobody has found any connection between Pod detergents and the washer stink, except me?

Old 02-15-2015, 02:50 PM

From what I was able to find out then the detergent no matter what form even liquid, causes this due to cold water not breaking down the soap. In fact ever since then (I use powder detergent,) I turn the hot water on for every wash and take a plastic measuring cup put the detergent in the cup fill the cup from the hot water going into the washer let the detergent dissolve in the cup and then pour it in the washer and move the water to cold. I have found the cold water does not break down the powder.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:59 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,529,102 times
The other day, I saw on some Life Hacks tv show that a sheet of aluminum foil, balled up, helps with static in the dryer. I just use the major cheapy fabric softener sheets, so with some things, there's a ton of static. This really works! Reusable, cheap, effective. I just tore off about a 6" piece of foil.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:56 PM

421 posts, read 328,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I like them but I dont use them unless I need to. Theyre kinda expensive to use for everything.
Try the heavy duty or the ridged bath ones. They dont come apart like the regular flat ones.
Also for some things you need to use them wet. If you use them dry its harder and they fall apart.

For example black marks on tile. As I mop I use my foot to rub a wet eraser on any marks. Dry takes a lot more effort. Im old I need easy.
I Used some( Fantastic cleaner name lol ) on some scuff marks on kitchen tile before and it worked great.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 14,849 times
This is a horrible situation in a nutshell .....OK.....here it goes....does anyone know if rubbing alcohol ( wintergreen or clear/)? is the best solution/result to wipe down household items during and after a bed bug extermination? I have been prepping for the second treatment next week....wiping down sealed toiletries...ETC. I have not experienced such......I would not wish this upon anyone....hmmmmm....
Thanks for all the other tips!
Jenn

Old 03-26-2015, 09:30 PM

421 posts, read 328,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn8224 View Post
This is a horrible situation in a nutshell .....OK.....here it goes....does anyone know if rubbing alcohol ( wintergreen or clear/)? is the best solution/result to wipe down household items during and after a bed bug extermination? I have been prepping for the second treatment next week....wiping down sealed toiletries...ETC. I have not experienced such......I would not wish this upon anyone....hmmmmm....
Thanks for all the other tips!
Jenn
How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs Naturally Forever (Home Remedies) this information should help you out

Old 03-28-2015, 01:09 PM

Generally speaking you needn't worry about that stuff. You, of course will, as I would be sick to my stomach too, but there is no host for them in bottles or cans etc, Just be sure to have located the source for them because if not, you will have another visit for sure. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:04 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Put clingfilm on the tops of your kitchen wall cabinets as then you can pull it off once its greasy and you have an almost perfectly clean cupboard to wipe down.. saves a lot of work..

Keep unperfumed baby wipes in your kitchen. great for worktops, inside the fridge , round door handles on cabinets and around the computer keyboard.. also good for venetian blind cleaning..

Old 04-17-2015, 09:06 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Sticky lightbulb in socket

shut off the power down to the circuit
mix a little vinegar and water in a spray bottle
spray the part of the bulb that is in the socket so some of the spray gets inside the socket
wait a few hours
try unscrewing the bulb
If still stuck repeat steps until the corrosion is melted away and the lightbulb can be turned

I had so many lightbulbs break off at the cap before I learned this trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House