Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 02:15 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times

Advertisements

For laundry, I use an ounce or two of 29% hydrogen peroxide in every load. I've never had fresher smelling clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 09:16 AM

482 posts, read 901,580 times
Default Vinyl Floor

To clean the grime on the vinyl flooring around the stove and refrigerator, I spray on Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner and let it sit for 5 minutes and rinse with plain water so its not slippery and wipe. No scrubbing.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:18 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
To whiten tub grout, place paper towels soaked in bleach along the grout overnight. The grout will become vivid white.
I do the same thing, but I use the cotton coil they sell that comes in long "ropes" the hairdressers use when putting color on someone's hair. Beauty stores carry it in a box, and it's pretty cheap. It's easy to press in to the groove. I think these would hold the bleach better, and keep moist longer than paper towels???

Old 09-07-2017, 06:57 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
Default Does it work on hardwood floors ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
The best thing ever for cleaning carpet spots is some stuff named Folex. It works really well...I found it at Home Depot. A co-worker recommended it for spots on the floor in my new office -apparently the previous occupant ate lunch at his desk all the time and the carpet was a mess. The spots had been ground in by the office chair too...the Folex did a great job. It comes in a spray bottle.

Does it work only on carpets or anby type of flooring ?

Old 09-07-2017, 02:29 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
Folex Company

It's available at Home Depot.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:08 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,527,537 times
I've seen hints for cleaning spots on carpets, but Oxy Clean spot remover, or whatever the Oxy Clean stuff in the spray bottle is, works great. I spray it on the spot, let it set for just a couple minutes, lay a towel on it then put my foot on it and "do the twist". Comes right out!
Also, in our shower, I was having the hardest time getting rid of the crud on the grout. I've used vinegar, cleaners with vinegar in it and several other grout cleaners. Finally found the easiest way to clean it. Just some bleach in a little spray bottle. Spray all the crud, wait a few minutes, and rinse it off. No scrubbing. Never had to touch it.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:50 PM

417 posts, read 454,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I've seen hints for cleaning spots on carpets, but Oxy Clean spot remover, or whatever the Oxy Clean stuff in the spray bottle is, works great. I spray it on the spot, let it set for just a couple minutes, lay a towel on it then put my foot on it and "do the twist". Comes right out!
Also, in our shower, I was having the hardest time getting rid of the crud on the grout. I've used vinegar, cleaners with vinegar in it and several other grout cleaners. Finally found the easiest way to clean it. Just some bleach in a little spray bottle. Spray all the crud, wait a few minutes, and rinse it off. No scrubbing. Never had to touch it.
I think I am going to have to give this bleach in a spray bottle a try...... not sure if I am talking about the grout or caulk but along the bottom of the shower the grout/caulk is quite discolored I think more from minerals in the water than actual dirt.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:47 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salonva View Post
I think I am going to have to give this bleach in a spray bottle a try...... not sure if I am talking about the grout or caulk but along the bottom of the shower the grout/caulk is quite discolored I think more from minerals in the water than actual dirt.
The best for that as someone mentioned is the cotton soaked in bleach a few posts up. Leave overnight or several hours and toss, lacking the rolled cotton, you could roll 2 sheets on toilet paper like a snake, dip in bleach and push up against the grout. The spray works on vertical surfaces best if you spray from top to bottom letting it drip down. Remove all rugs and such while doing either if you don’t wish to bleach them accidentally.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:49 PM

276 posts, read 337,847 times
Rust stains. I've used a product called Iron Out. I often sprinkle some on a rust stain and wet it to be like a paste. Then let is sit for 30 min to an hour. Stains gone.

I've done this on the carpet on my boat where the wet anchor anchor let a rust stain. Also on sinks and counter tops, and shelves under sinks. Anywhere there's a rust stain.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:58 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
I accidentally found a great cleaning tip! I had a small amount of lemon juice left in a huge bottle (and had a new bottle) - I decided to dump the leftover in a glass that I had used to root some rosemary cuttings for a friend and the glass was left w/this white, streaky residue type stain that would not come out! It immediately removed the white staining - I also dipped a piece of paper towel in it and rubbed in on a saucer that I used under a plant to catch water overflow and it had a residue I couldn't get off - voila!! the lemon juice did it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House