Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 05:56 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,622 times

Advertisements

I have what appears to be old dirt stains on my ivory cotton slipcover couch. It was the biggest pain in the world to take off one of the slip covers so I don't want to try it again. I actually had one those rug cleaner companies clean my couch when he was doing my area rugs, and it didn't look any different.

So now I'm kicking myself for ever buying the color ivory and am looking for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 10:17 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I have what appears to be old dirt stains on my ivory cotton slipcover couch. It was the biggest pain in the world to take off one of the slip covers so I don't want to try it again. I actually had one those rug cleaner companies clean my couch when he was doing my area rugs, and it didn't look any different.

So now I'm kicking myself for ever buying the color ivory and am looking for any advice.
http://www.oxiclean.com/en/Stain-Sol...olstery-Stains

Have a look here. I use Oxyclean often, but have never used it on upholstery. But, since your slipcover is cotton, it might work. Oxyclean is pretty benign; it is not like Chlorine bleach.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:33 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Have a look here. I use Oxyclean often, but have never used it on upholstery. But, since your slipcover is cotton, it might work. Oxyclean is pretty benign; it is not like Chlorine bleach.
I am a huge fan of OXYCLEAN, but I will caution that I poured it on a dark pair of shorts that had a grease stain on them (rendering them unusable except for around the house) and I poured OC on them with water on top and let them sit, within a half hour they had tiny "bleach" sprinkles on them. I really didn't care they could not be worn out anymore, but now when I use OC, I bought a squeeze bottle, like ketchup, and I mixed the crystals in water and used the solution. Perfection.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,046 times
Default household secrets

Can someone please tell me how to post to forum myself???

Old 09-30-2018, 02:58 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
just a little thing I thought of today, as I was moving the couch and cleaning behind it, I wanted to share my little house hold help.

I have tacked a piece of tin foil over my electrical sockets behind my couch and entertainment center, (any piece of furniture you don't really move to often), the reason is so the dust doesn't pile up on the electrical plugs in the wall, but rather the tin foil.

I'm really fire contious (sp) and I thought of this while cleaning years ago and every time I'd move the couch the plugs would have a pile of dust on it. But, no more.
Attached Thumbnails
Pssssst!  Household secrets!!!!-2018-tin-foil-001.jpg  

Last edited by nightcrawler; 09-30-2018 at 04:15 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 03:19 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean0927 View Post
Can someone please tell me how to post to forum myself???
??? Not sure what you mean, but maybe this:

Go to the top and click on "Start a new thread" if that's what you meant.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 9,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

It's really beautiful

Old 10-22-2018, 09:04 AM

2,106 posts, read 977,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
just a little thing I thought of today, as I was moving the couch and cleaning behind it, I wanted to share my little house hold help.

I have tacked a piece of tin foil over my electrical sockets behind my couch and entertainment center, (any piece of furniture you don't really move to often), the reason is so the dust doesn't pile up on the electrical plugs in the wall, but rather the tin foil.

I'm really fire contious (sp) and I thought of this while cleaning years ago and every time I'd move the couch the plugs would have a pile of dust on it. But, no more.

I put those clear plastic overs in the outlets I'm not using , the covers people use when toddlers are around ,i guess you'd call them Baby outlet covers ? They sort of plug in , I also put them in my outlets on the outside walls I'm not using , keeps a little cold or heat out .

Old 10-23-2018, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 9,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
nolah mattress coupon<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->
I put those clear plastic overs in the outlets I'm not using , the covers people use when toddlers are around ,i guess you'd call them Baby outlet covers ? They sort of plug in , I also put them in my outlets on the outside walls I'm not using , keeps a little cold or heat out .

I agree with you

Old 10-29-2018, 12:34 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
Since Spousal Unit is allergic to fabric softeners, it's not in our household inventory. What we do use is the minimum amount of HE detergent our front load washer calls for, a laundry booster if needed, hydrogen peroxide in the bleach dispenser when stains are present or the laundry looks a little dingy/dull, and vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser.

The vast majority of stains come out with this combo. No overuse of soap, no bleach, the hydrogen peroxide takes out natural stains (blood, wine, etc., but not so much with oils), and the vinegar cuts the soap and leaves the fabrics soft.

Haven't found the perfect oil/grease remover yet, but have gotten reasonably good results by rubbing Dawn dishwashing liquid directly onto the grease spot, then washing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House