Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 01:48 PM

450 posts, read 2,312,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
I read this a month or so ago;

keeping your dish rags clean [of that moldy, bacteria oder] pop it in the microwave.
I haven't had time to read through the whole thread to make sure no one else has already posted my tips but here's a couple of things I do...microwave a bowl of white distilled vinegar for a few minutes and it makes the microwave's caked on junk really easy to wipe off with no scrubbing..I used to hate cleaning a gunked-up microwave .

Also, if your garbage disposal or sink drains start to stink, just pour down some baking soda and pour down a little white distilled vinegar, not too much just yet, and let it soak...then toss down a bit more baking soda, pour more vinegar and run the disposal for a few seconds....this actually works well to make a stinky drain not stink. You can do a lot with white distilled vinegar and bakin soda- as a kid I knew it as a fun volcano-maker, but actually, it is fantastic for cleaning....I also put 50/50 diluted vinegar and water in a spray bottle and clean up grease off the stovetop and counters..for tougher junk, use the vinegar straight- and I have never had any kind of fancy tile, granite or corian or anything like that, I've had Formica, so just make sure it's safe for your particular surface just in case if you have something special..same for rangetops..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 01:54 PM

21 posts, read 115,771 times
If your mirrors fog up in the bathroom when you are taking a shower just wipe on foamy shaving cream then wipe it all of so there is no smears. Lasts for a while and trust me it works!

Old 01-20-2008, 01:55 PM

450 posts, read 2,312,370 times
My 2 biggest house problems are what's already been mentioned...the house, no matter how often I vaccum, wipe down, and dust, is always SO dusty! I don't have pets....but do have terrible allergies. And dusting actually seems to stir it up more. My worst aggravation is how quickly dust gathers on the tops of ceiling fans, especially the ones in high ceilings. I hired a cleaning service one time and all they did was swat the dust with a feather duster, made the air worse. They just brushed off the dust everywhere that way instead of dusting properly.

Also, no matter what I do, I can't keep a shower stall and glass door clean- it's always either streaky, or soap scummy, or something. It takes a lot of elbow grease to get it clean but it doesn't stay clean, it's such labor, I don't expect an EASY, work-free way to keep the shower clean, but how DO you manage to keep your showers pristine?? I'd be willing to wipe it down every day if I had something that really works. I've tried everything, the daily shower sprays, diluted Clorox, even vinegar and baking soda...etc. Glass showers are just terrible to keep pristine. Sigh...

Old 01-20-2008, 03:51 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,226,325 times
My allergist said to never use feather dusters because of just that - they stir up the dust. They demanded I either use a damp cloth or the swiffer type cloths to dust with. The swiffer cloths are easier than a damp cloth. Sometimes I'll spray a little enddust on them to add to the cling. They also told me to go over the walls and ceilings every month or so. I did at first, but I don't keep up with it.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:13 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,753,013 times
Can't help you on the dust... i have plenty myself.

as for the green in the simple green, while I had not thought about the coloring, i have not had troubles with it staining.

Dog hair on stairs... i have that too. my pooch is a shedder and he's half long hair GSD. it's everywhere. we havent had troubles with him sliding in the plastic runners ... though he will slide on the ceramic tile in the kitchen if he is really running and makes a turn.... one reason i am keeping carpet over getting hard wood floors.

vinegar... love the stuff. it is GREAT in the kitchen... i've used most the tips posted above.

shower doors... yes, they do seem like more work than they are worth.... have you tried the "Magic Eraser" ? I too have tried everything in the shower. I wipe it down after every use... DH does NOT... which makes more work for me.

I know i've tried baking soda, to help "scrub" stuff off... vinegar too.... sometimes i go in there with 3 or 4 different products and keep working until i get them clean-ish. I dont think it's ever prefect, as there are times i can see water spots, and that drives me NUTS.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post
My 2 biggest house problems are what's already been mentioned...the house, no matter how often I vaccum, wipe down, and dust, is always SO dusty! I don't have pets....but do have terrible allergies. And dusting actually seems to stir it up more. My worst aggravation is how quickly dust gathers on the tops of ceiling fans, especially the ones in high ceilings. I hired a cleaning service one time and all they did was swat the dust with a feather duster, made the air worse. They just brushed off the dust everywhere that way instead of dusting properly.

Also, no matter what I do, I can't keep a shower stall and glass door clean- it's always either streaky, or soap scummy, or something. It takes a lot of elbow grease to get it clean but it doesn't stay clean, it's such labor, I don't expect an EASY, work-free way to keep the shower clean, but how DO you manage to keep your showers pristine?? I'd be willing to wipe it down every day if I had something that really works. I've tried everything, the daily shower sprays, diluted Clorox, even vinegar and baking soda...etc. Glass showers are just terrible to keep pristine. Sigh...
The only way to do fans effectively is to use a vacuum cleaner. It is a strain for me and very difficult b/c of stenosis in my cervical area - I can only lift my arms for a matter of moments b/f numbness sets in. This is one reason I always have had a housekeeper, but since moving - I have gone through several housekeepers who simply will not do this task (and many others) the way I want it. If I wanted the dust to fly - I would just take a feather duster and not bother w/ having to strain w/ the vac!!!!!

My former housekeepers used a vac and then wiped off the blades w/ a wet cloth . . . then sprayed on Endust as this helps keep the dust from embedding worse on the blades in the future. This is a time consuming task when done properly.

As for showers, I wipe down after I have thoroughly cleaned w/ Weiman's Lemon Oil, as that helps w/ sheeting action. Others have said they use stuff you use in cars - window washing stuff that has a "sheeting action." I have found this stuff builds up and makes a mess on my mirrors and glass in the bathroom, but maybe I am not using it correctly!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 AM

5,978 posts, read 19,827,013 times
I got tired of too many different cleaners under my sink and found that diluting Lysol 4-in-1 does the job of 409, **** N Span, Windex and Lysol disinfecting wipes. I put it in a spray bottle and wipe down with paper towel. Smells great and works great on granite and faux marble counter tops, tile, toilets, mirrors and glass with no streaking and acrylic shower walls. When my kids swear by it, I think I have found the magic formula!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:55 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,226,325 times
For ceiling fans, I use the swiffer cloths, sometimes 2-3 depending on how dusty they get. If I let them go too long, then I follow up with a damp cloth. The endust spray is a good idea. The vacuum is just too awkward.

I just use vinegar and baking soda for almost everything and add dish washing soap if more oomph is needed. Stuff like lysol gets to me and triggers a bit of asthma.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 AM

604 posts, read 4,609,857 times
One day I realized I was out of laundry stain spray I used Resolve carpet cleaner instead...worked out ok if your in a bind!

Old 01-21-2008, 11:47 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,753,013 times
ok... back to dusty things.... I have faux-wood blinds thru the whole house.... yes, DH wanted all the windows the same [well, most of them]

so i have 16 blinds and keeping them clean is so impossible.

what are your tips/secrets??

the End Dust thing ... that would probably work, right?

clean them real good with water then put a coating of the End Dust?? ... though they do streak when wiped with water ... so i have to keep wiping them with a clean dry cloth until dried.... but considering each blind has about 30 or more slats. [i've never counted] but i probably spend 15-20 min per ave window ... 2 are more narrow and 1 is 4' wide

Uggg, i hate these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House