Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 09:14 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times

Advertisements

I bought an outdoor LED flood light bulb at Home Depot for $24. It says "5 year Warranty". Brand Ecosmart and distributed by Home Depot.

For warranty it says; For COMPLETE DETAILS ON YOUR WARRANTY, go to homedepot.com/lightingfacts.

I can't find any warranty information there? (There is no printed warranty information on the package and no insert with warranty information.)

I called their web site and a store and no one knows a thing about returning products with this warranty!

I read on their web site you can return things within 90 days of purchase. Says nothing about "Home Depot" products with a 5 year warranty?

Anyway I have about 10 outdoor floodlights I eventually want to replace with LED floodlights. But I would like to make DARN sure I will be able to return them if they fail. Especially at $24 or more each!

Anyone return an LED light bulb which was older than 90 days? Your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 09:21 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,049,454 times
I doubt that the warranty means anything. How can you warrant a light bulb? If you turn it on and off a dozen times a day it will burn out quicker, if you leave it one all the time it would probably last longer. If it last longer than 5 years will you give HD extra $ because you got a bargin? I think that the "5 Year warranty" is just a selling gimmic and has no real meaning. Every light bulb is different. A case of bulbs could have been thrown around 10 times and damaged them. LED's are pretty hard to damage but there can be no way of knowing how long they'll last. They probably took an average life of a bulb and use that for comparison. I'd be very surprised if any store would take a used bulb back.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:38 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
We have a bunch of halogen under cabinet lights in the kitchen. Every few weeks one of them goes out. I buy the most long lasting bulbs (4000 hrs), mark when it was installed and place the receipt in the package. Based on 12 hours a day, if it burns out within a year, I take it back to the store. Usually, its way less than that.
Lowe's and Home Depot will take back anything. Yesterday, we were at Home Depot and some fool had taken a grill home in a pick up truck without tying it down and it blew out. The store manager was delivering a replacement to the guy at no charge. I doubt is anyone will give OP any trouble with his LED bulbs either.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:39 AM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
If you still have receipt, you can bring the bulb for exchange. Done that. No problem.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If you still have receipt, you can bring the bulb for exchange. Done that. No problem.
I've not saved light bulb receipts in the past, but I SURE will with these LED bulbs. (And the packaging too.)

Old 06-29-2014, 09:47 AM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
If they sell that brand, they will take it back. I never had any problems with returning. Even in doubt, they rather try to keep their customers happy.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If they sell that brand, they will take it back. I never had any problems with returning. Even in doubt, they rather try to keep their customers happy.
I just talked to customer service (only there M-F) and they said the same thing. Even though the store has a 90 day return policy, because this is a "Home Depot product", you would return it to the store up the last day of the 5 year warranty and it would be replaced.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:00 PM

153 posts, read 540,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Anyone return an LED light bulb which was older than 90 days? Your experience?
Yeah I returned a Phillips LED bulb without a receipt maybe a few months ago at Home Depot. I did have the original packaging though, but they exchanged it no problem.

It wasn't fully burned out either. Kind of odd -it would run for a random amount of time and then shut off. It progressively got worse and I was beginning to think it might be the fixture... but no tried it in a different fixture and it did the same thing... light up for so long, then off... then back on again.

Anyway haven't had any trouble with any of them since. It does take awhile to get used to the light though.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 34,002 times
Tried to return a burned out 1 year old Ecosmart to Highland Heights, Ohio store. Had the receipt, and the packaging that stated "5 year warranty." But the manager said that HOME DEPOT only honors the 90 day warranty! Referred to the warranty at homedepot.com lighting which of course has no information regarding warranty. This is a scam. Bulbs are exclusive to HOME DEPOT so they should honor the warranty for a captive manufactured item. Ripe for a class action lawsuit on this fraud.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott886 View Post
Tried to return a burned out 1 year old Ecosmart to Highland Heights, Ohio store. Had the receipt, and the packaging that stated "5 year warranty." But the manager said that HOME DEPOT only honors the 90 day warranty! Referred to the warranty at homedepot.com lighting which of course has no information regarding warranty. This is a scam. Bulbs are exclusive to HOME DEPOT so they should honor the warranty for a captive manufactured item. Ripe for a class action lawsuit on this fraud.
Make a BIG stink!

Also try another store if more than one in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House