Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 03:49 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,891,948 times

Advertisements

5 monitors is too many. I use three 22" monitors on my work computer and 3 is perfect. I've tried 4 before, just too annoying. You need to stack them, so get a 6th and do this:

If not, you need to build shelves like this:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 07:58 AM

974 posts, read 1,898,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Shopping at Ikea is like shopping at Wal-Mart. You're dealing with hoards of people who can't afford the stuff in the first place

Never purchased from their.

Pottery Barn for the win
Pretty sure the folks at Apartment Therapy | Saving the world, one room at a time can afford Ikea and discern the correct use of there/their, too.

They like the customization you can do with Ikea--just like I do!

Old 07-08-2014, 08:33 AM

459 posts, read 619,853 times
Did anyone mention Staples for office furniture ?
They have some where you can buy multiple and put them together however you want.
I have a side, corner, side, side, works well.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:49 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
5 monitors is too many. I use three 22" monitors on my work computer and 3 is perfect. I've tried 4 before, just too annoying. You need to stack them, so get a 6th and do this:
I agree with three monitors being perfect. The problem I have found using two monitors is that neither monitor sits directly in front of you. You end up staring at the bezels between the two monitors. I want one monitor directly in front of me, and one monitor on each side. The other two monitors are extras for use with my old computer and/or laptops.

Though I did test out my hardware with four monitors on the kitchen counter top. I have to say that it is pretty damn impressive to see four 27" monitors spanning the length of the kitchen counter top running off of one machine. But that's not something I will probably be doing on a regular basis.

Thinking about it though, if I had a good U-shaped desk I could see myself using five monitors on three computers. Three desktop monitors in front, one monitor and a laptop to the left, one monitor and a laptop to the right. A simple swivel of the chair and I could be using any of the three computers.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Anybody have any ideas about any of this? Do you shop and IKEA, and if so how do you deal with them? Should I just pay the ripoff $100 and have them deliver it?
It's their business model. IKEA's moneymaker isn't their furniture. It's the impulse-buy $2 and $5 items people walk by as they try to get to the cash registers.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrohead View Post
Did anyone mention Staples for office furniture ?
They have some where you can buy multiple and put them together however you want.
I have a side, corner, side, side, works well.

I looked at Staples website and didn't see anything that would have worked for me.

Thinking about this some more, somebody really needs to start a good online store to sell customizable modular desks. So people could just measure out their space, and order connectible desk pieces in whatever shape or size to fill their space. Instant customized desks that could meet anybody's needs. They could probably sell them in light, medium, and heavy duty versions too, to meet cost and other criterion. Most of the individual pieces could be shipped separately, so there would be no weight problems for shipping.

Somebody please.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's their business model. IKEA's moneymaker isn't their furniture. It's the impulse-buy $2 and $5 items people walk by as they try to get to the cash registers.
Yes, I agree thats what they are doing. But does it really make sense? I was ready to order a $280 desk from them. Don't you think that would be a little more profitable then them trying to sell me some little $2 nicknacks?

Old 07-08-2014, 11:44 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yes, I agree thats what they are doing. But does it really make sense? I was ready to order a $280 desk from them. Don't you think that would be a little more profitable then them trying to sell me some little $2 nicknacks?
<shrug> I am not a business major, but Ingvar Kamprad's net worth is measured in billions, so they're clearly on to something. He's very much into the "don't change a working formula" mindset, almost to obsession. An IKEA store in Sweden and one in the US are very close to identical - they even have Swedish books on the shelves here in Los Angeles.

So in your case - no, that was a loss. But if a better Internet presence would mean decreased foot traffic through the stores, that could very well ultimately cost them more.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:22 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
IKEA is great for certain items. They are really a buy-in-store kind of place though.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:39 PM

FWIW, IKEA lowered the price of the desk I was going to buy by $10. It's still not in stock, and there is no ETA for when it will be in stock. But, it's $10 less. Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House