U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 12:39 PM

67 posts, read 114,224 times

Advertisements

Anyone know why an AC might not be working after the air ducts were cleaned?

I just purchased a condo. The AC unit worked at the inspection.

The seller had the ducts cleaned. Now the AC doesn't work.

I can set the thermostat, but the AC doesn't turn on. I set it all the way to 50 degrees when it was 76 in the room. Nothing.

If I switch the fan to "on" instead of "auto" on the thermostat, I do hear a faint noise like a fan might be running. It's hard to tell, but a little bit of air might be coming out of the vents when the fan is set to "on".

I checked the fuses outside near the AC. Visibly, they look fine. Would it be obvious if one was blown? Checked the circuit breaker and flipped them all off and on in case it was going through there. Nothing.

I called the duct cleaning company to see if they might have turned something off before cleaning which they didn't turn back on. They said they don't turn anything off. They just clean the ducts.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 01:25 PM

1,344 posts, read 2,859,156 times
When you checked the breakers, did you check on the house panel or on the air handler? I'm guessing they flicked a breaker on the air handler itself.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the response.

I just flipped the breakers on the house panel. I looked around for any kind of breakers or fuses specific to the AC and only found the fuse box which was outside near the AC.

Where would I likely find the breaker for the air handler?

The only place I didn't look was the attic, because I don't have a ladder to get up there. Would it be in the attic?

Old 07-02-2014, 02:48 PM

I did a web search for "where is air handler located" -- which turned up a lot of info about air handlers but not where they're usually located. lol.

Then "air handler attic", and it looks like that is a common place for them. Guess I'll find a ladder to get up there.

Thanks again.

Last edited by twia; 07-02-2014 at 02:57 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 03:24 PM

14,620 posts, read 55,090,576 times
Depending on the age of the building- you should have something like this:

Breaker panel will have two separate breakers that comprise the HVAC system. One will be a 15amp breaker- this is for the blower located in the "Airhandler"/furnace. The other breaker will be somewhere in the 30-40amp range- this on is for the condenser unit outside. The "panel" you found outside near the condenser unit will usually be a service disconnect (insert in one direction, it's on; insert in the inverted position it's off), but sometimes they can be the actual breakers.

The other thing to look for is a "service switch" next to the furnace- just an ordinary light switch- it controls the power to the furnace/blower.

When the cleaning was being done, the service tech's probably shut it down to avoid accidential startup while cleaning.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:51 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 4,518,882 times
Check the safety switch inside the blower compartment. Its a switch that prevents someone from getting injured by the blower fan by turning off the electricity if the blower fan cover panel is removed. If the panel over the blower fan is not reinstalled correctly, there is a switch inside that may not get properly depressed and therefore will not allow the system to operate in any mode.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:56 AM

14,620 posts, read 55,090,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
Check the safety switch inside the blower compartment. Its a switch that prevents someone from getting injured by the blower fan by turning off the electricity if the blower fan cover panel is removed. If the panel over the blower fan is not reinstalled correctly, there is a switch inside that may not get properly depressed and therefore will not allow the system to operate in any mode.

Good catch! I forgot about that one.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Depending on the age of the building- you should have something like this:

Breaker panel will have two separate breakers that comprise the HVAC system. One will be a 15amp breaker- this is for the blower located in the "Airhandler"/furnace. The other breaker will be somewhere in the 30-40amp range- this on is for the condenser unit outside. The "panel" you found outside near the condenser unit will usually be a service disconnect (insert in one direction, it's on; insert in the inverted position it's off), but sometimes they can be the actual breakers.
Yeah what you describe sounds like what's outside. It's got a plastic piece that's reversible holding what look like 2 fuses. One direction says "in operation" or something and one direction says "off".

Quote:
The other thing to look for is a "service switch" next to the furnace- just an ordinary light switch- it controls the power to the furnace/blower.
Thanks. I'll look for that too.

Quote:
When the cleaning was being done, the service tech's probably shut it down to avoid accidential startup while cleaning.
My first guess was that there was something the duct cleaners turned off for safety that they didn't turn back on. But I have no experience with HVAC. I was hoping the duct company could tell me what it might be. But the person I talked to there seemed like just a sales/customer service person. Not somebody who actually knows what's involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
Good to know. Thanks. I'll look for that if the other two aren't it.

I'm going to try to get time to pick up a ladder this evening so I can get up there and check these things out.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:34 PM

1,344 posts, read 2,859,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twia View Post
I'm going to try to get time to pick up a ladder this evening so I can get up there and check these things out.
Sounds like a good time to take a new filter up with you.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:13 PM

8,407 posts, read 12,159,474 times
If your system worked before and you bought a house with a working system and the sellers had the ducts cleaned, why not contact them and ask why they are not turning over the home in the condition in which it was agreed to be purchased?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House