Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 09:03 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

My sister in law's brother recently got married... they were getting rid of a lot of furniture... wood with dove tail construction and well made...

His wife wanted IKEA and that is what they bought... a whole house worth.

I took a couple of the bookcases and dressers to use in my shop...

He saw them a few months later and said he should have thought of that... make great garage storage and who knows... the patina from my use could make them more valuable some day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 09:18 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
When I asked my son if he wanted me to save a few things for him he said "No thanks Mom, I'd rather get my own junk."

Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I thought I was so clever when I bought special Christmas ornaments specifically for each child as they were growing up with the plan to give them to them for their own homes. One turned out to be a raging atheist and the other couldn't care less.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I have four kids. Two of them really don't care much about heirlooms and antiques and two care VERY much. All of them like and enjoy family photos and artwork.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:30 AM

675 posts, read 1,700,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I thought I was so clever when I bought special Christmas ornaments specifically for each child as they were growing up with the plan to give them to them for their own homes. One turned out to be a raging atheist and the other couldn't care less.
How old are they and do they have kids of their own? Actually that could go for most of the stuff you're hoping to divest - if they're hipsters in their 20s they probably wouldn't be interested in heirlooms or even things from their own childhood but once they have their own homes and families they might suddenly start turning sentimental, it might be worth hanging on to at least things like those ornaments for a few more years.

Another tip, especially if you have sons - offer these things to their partners as well. From what I've seen in our extended family the sons often don't care but the daughters-in-law do.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Both in their 30's and extremely mobile. Son lives in Singapore and moving to Kazakhstan in a few weeks. He is more interested in experience than in things and spends his money accordingly. He has a SO and baby on the way but doubt it would be practical to share them. maybe when kids are older.
Daughter moving too and she doesn't care. We don't decorate very much now even though we still have 2 at home. Would love to give them away to like Ronald McDonald House or Hospital but they don't want them either. So many people now decorate their xmas trees in "themes" now...la de da...

Last edited by no kudzu; 07-08-2014 at 08:23 AM..

Old 07-08-2014, 07:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All of them like and enjoy family photos...
Don't get me started on family photos. One of my sisters divided them. When she gave them to us and we looked at them, she had given us all of the photos with pictures of ourselves (and divided the photos with pictures of our parents). She didn't understand when we complained and said we'd like pictures of our siblings too. Since she's a bit self-absorbed, she assumed everyone only wanted pictures of themselves. When the technology became available to make copies of photos, some siblings did that with key photos and gave them as gifts, but they enlarged them and they're all grainy and not worthy of displaying.

It would be a great gift for parents to copy photos while they alive and give the to their children. Why wait until everyone is dead to have family photos of their own? Plus, it eliminates one child dividing them in a weird manner like my sister did.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:29 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
For years I would always give my Nieces and Nephew $5 US gold coins every Christmas and Birthday...

They are older now and couldn't tell what others gave them as children except for my gifts.

I told them they are given without strings...

Each teenager has a nice little nest egg of gold coins... when I started they were $37 ea and went as high as $200 each depending on the price of Gold.

WOW! Your nieces & nephew are pretty lucky to have someone give them quite the investment.
Each of the grandkids got a Silver Eagle for their first Christmas with their birth year date. Not worth as much as gold but to me, it is giving them something that I love that I hope they will love, too.

Cat

Old 07-08-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
WOW! Your nieces & nephew are pretty lucky to have someone give them quite the investment.
Each of the grandkids got a Silver Eagle for their first Christmas with their birth year date. Not worth as much as gold but to me, it is giving them something that I love that I hope they will love, too.

Cat
I wanted them to get something they would remember...

Just couldn't bring myself to buy made in China plastic that no will care about or remember a year later...

Could be years of managing low income rental properties...

Each year after Christmas I would need to double down on the dumpster service and over the course of a few months most of the toys would end up in the trash...

I saw one Mom tossing her daughter's Christmas bike in the trash... it was a few months old...

She said the tires are flat... I offered to take a look and she said her Daughter didn't want it anymore because she no longer like Barbie??? It was a pink Barbie bike

Old 07-08-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Sometimes it skips a generation and some kids are late bloomers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House