Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 06:46 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times

Advertisements

I get what people are saying about the kitchen not being *awful* before. But personally, if I were house hunting, I would think it looked very dated and blah and not what I was envisioning for my new home. Instead of a "not bad but dated kitchen", the OP will be listing an updated, move in ready home and can price accordingly.

If I were buying with the idea of remodeling, it would be fine. But as someone who isn't in the slightest bit talented at doing home renovations, I would have been looking at an expensive kitchen remodel, and aside from the price needing to accommodate that, I would have also had a lot of hesitation about living through the process. So like many buyers, I would only buy something that I was happy with as is, with maybe changing out some paint colors to personalize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 06:55 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
^^^ Yep, I thought it was nice, too. Maybe new countertops. Pale grey or beige on the walls, poof; ready to sell.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:00 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,211,637 times
i would be more concerned about your floor...

Old 07-12-2014, 10:36 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Do you have a link to your other thread? I started searching but realized you have >6000 posts.

This is what we want to do as well. We have a builder grade home but will be selling in the next <year. So we are looking for inexpensive upgrades that will bring it back in line and refresh it.

Looking at what you have I think it might be a mistake to get rid of the breakfast counter, and also to not have gone with a mounted microwave oven. You have limited counter space and the microwave you have on there takes up a huge chunk of it.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:41 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I get what people are saying about the kitchen not being *awful* before. But personally, if I were house hunting, I would think it looked very dated and blah and not what I was envisioning for my new home. Instead of a "not bad but dated kitchen", the OP will be listing an updated, move in ready home and can price accordingly.

If I were buying with the idea of remodeling, it would be fine. But as someone who isn't in the slightest bit talented at doing home renovations, I would have been looking at an expensive kitchen remodel, and aside from the price needing to accommodate that, I would have also had a lot of hesitation about living through the process. So like many buyers, I would only buy something that I was happy with as is, with maybe changing out some paint colors to personalize.
Yes this - especially when the OP is knowlegable and capable enough to do it themselves. An updated kitchen is worth it in resale - especially when it's done well, is tasteful and neutral - which is consistent with what she has shown in the bathroom remodel. Also a big bonus is being the least expensive home in a more upscale neighborhood. People looking there want more than "it's not bad". And are willing to pay for it.

Looking forward to the pics.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-12-2014 at 11:05 AM..

Old 07-12-2014, 10:57 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,482,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post

The cabinets are Merillat and are actually in great shape but good god are they ugly. I hate the orange looking oak and the partial overlay doors. I was going to buy new cabinet doors - full overlay but hubby nixed that. So, we paint. ...
I agree with hubby on this one. I would bet that 80% of buyers (especially those who have never built a house or replaced cabinets) would not even know the difference in partial overlay and full overlay.

I loved your bathroom thread and am looking forward to seeing the changes to your kitchen too.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Looking at what you have I think it might be a mistake to get rid of the breakfast counter, and also to not have gone with a mounted microwave oven. You have limited counter space and the microwave you have on there takes up a huge chunk of it.
It's hard for me to be objective on this because in my new build, I am doing exactly what the OP is doing! I will have a counter height island with no bar (have one in my current house and hate it!) and I'm putting my microwave in a built in cabinet under the island so I can have real hood over the range. The built in microwaves are nice but the hoods in them are not really very functional.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:22 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's hard for me to be objective on this because in my new build, I am doing exactly what the OP is doing! I will have a counter height island with no bar (have one in my current house and hate it!) and I'm putting my microwave in a built in cabinet under the island so I can have real hood over the range. The built in microwaves are nice but the hoods in them are not really very functional.
Unless you have an actual vented range hood (not typical in a builder grade kitchen) the standard range hood aren't very functional anyway (in my opinion). If there either is an actual vented hood or plans to vent it, it would make absolute sense to not do a microwave over the stove.

Re breakfast bars: I would much prefer to have a useable expanse of level countertop to work with than a raised breakfast bar....

Old 07-12-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Unless you have an actual vented range hood (not typical in a builder grade kitchen) the standard range hood aren't very functional anyway (in my opinion). If there either is an actual vented hood or plans to vent it, it would make absolute sense to not do a microwave over the stove.

Re breakfast bars: I would much prefer to have a useable expanse of level countertop to work with than a raised breakfast bar....
I know, I was worried about the venting! I've asked at least 3 times and have been repeatedly reassured that it will be an externally vented hood.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:57 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,136 times
I look forward~~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House