Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 06:43 PM

755 posts, read 1,118,674 times

Advertisements

I didn't mean to alarm you--you should always use caution when cleaning up rodent droppings, but generally Hanta virus cases happen when a large amount of droppings is being swept up in an enclosed space--like cleaning up an old garage or a nest in an abandoned mattress. I don't know how old the droppings would need to be before the Hanta virus wouldn't be a threat, but a quick google search would probably tell you.

I always spray droppings with the bleach solution before sweeping or vacuuming, but I don't think I'd be concerned about droppings behind the walls unless there was piles of it. If you're still hearing scratching, though, I would have a pest control company come out for sure!

We periodically have had mice in our wall (twice in 4 years, at least) and can't for the life of us figure out how they got in. We have looked everywhere to find the access point. In one case, I think the rodent was stuck as it sounded like it was repeatedly trying to jump, poor thing (either that or it was a bird and trying to fly) and after a few days I stopped hearing it. I never smelled anything, but I do think it is still in the wall....

Just a few weeks ago, we had another one in the wall, scratching and gnawing all night long, and finally had to cut a hole in the wall and tape a box with a trap in it in front of the hole. Over 3 days we caught 2 mice. One appeared to be pregnant. We haven't had any since, but we keep trying to figure out where they got in. We know it was a problem before because there was a mouse trap under the gas fireplace next to the problem wall when we moved in.

The house is in the country, and we have A LOT of mice out there despite our barn cats' hunting prowess--so we expect to have the occasional mouse in the house. But having them in the wall, living and multiplying is another thing, and if we hadn't been able to trap them we would have had a pest control company out quickly. They reproduce quickly and in large numbers. Problem is, the poisons they use will also poison our cats if ingested when the dying mice find their way outside (my understanding is that the poison makes them severely thirsty and they go out to find water, and die outside, ideally).

I don't think there's a way to clean out the walls or under floorboards without pulling them up/out, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort. The main thing is to plug up access points and kill/remove the rodents currently in the house.

Good luck--it's gross and nervewracking but not the end of the world. The thing with mice is that one little guy can make so much noise and mess! Ugh. And as someone noted above, if you really think there has been a LOT of activity, I'd be concerned about wiring as well.

I wouldn't sell a house because of prior rodent activity within the range of normal.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:18 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
The first thing I would do in your shoes is call the pest control. Let them asses the infestation and get it under control.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,724 times
Default Mice Infestation

I'm going through a mice infestation in my home. I've been using peanut butter on snap traps and caught about 6 mice including one baby. I emptied my attic and threw everything away. I haven't seen or caught any mice for a few weeks now. I'm going to disinfect my entire upper level and then buy disinfecting germ foggers. I did vacuum up the droppings before I read how important it is not to vacuum or sweep it. This can stir up infectious diseases into the air or something like that so you need to wear a mask also.

I can't find an answer anywhere on the internet about what to do with mice droppings in unreachable areas like behind the walls? I can't even find out if mice droppings disintegrate or how long it would take. Does anyone know?

Old 02-17-2019, 04:54 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juxta6 View Post
I can't find an answer anywhere on the internet about what to do with mice droppings in unreachable areas like behind the walls? I can't even find out if mice droppings disintegrate or how long it would take. Does anyone know?
Are they going to stay "unreachable"? Are you planning on breaking into the walls? Any HVAC ducts or interior vents in those walls? What condition are they in?

How long it might take for droppings to disintegrate probably depends on the moisture level in the wall. Dust from desiccated disintegrated droppings can get airborne and be inhaled, but again, if the infestation was stopped, entry points sealed, and no one is exposed to the dust or air from inside the wall maybe better to leave it undisturbed.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:06 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
One of the things that most surprised me when remodeling our grandmother's old house was how much mouse poop was inside the walls and ceilings! It's one of the truths of old houses they don't really say too much about on the HGTV rehab shows. MOST homes have or get mice in them from time to time.

Do what you can to not leave food out where they can get it.

Do what you can to trap/kill rodents as a matter of ongoing maintenance.

Don't worry too much about the presence of old droppings around.

Almost every inspection report I see has some evidence of prior mouse activity. Especially in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House